Main plate Breakfast potatoes (and eggs) for 1

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liking these a lot. Quick and simple, tasty too. Plus, lots of fun to make.
IMG_4573.jpg
IMG_4578.jpg

This is my regular technique to make these. Not always with a fresh edge, although I do really like using this as a test to see how well a knife is cutting.

Slice thin chips from a whole potato, then stack and julienne those:
PXL_20231112_142916090.MP.jpg

I put them in a bowl with some oil and then microwave them for somewhere in between 2-3 minutes, stirring at the halfway point. The skillet is pre-heating during this par-cook period. Once they're cooked (near all are fully translucent) they get dumped into the skillet and spread/pressed into a circle:
PXL_20231112_143754238.jpg

Flip it when you can get the whole thing to spin in the pan freely:
PXL_20231112_143854532.jpg

Cook the second side until fully golden, then flip it over to take the first side to the same color. I make sure to tip it on its side to drain off excess oil:
PXL_20231112_144445500.jpg
And then you can top it what whatever you like.

Thanks again for the idea @ian I really enjoy making and eating this in the morning (when I have the time to make it).

Attachments

• PXL_20231112_143721221.jpg
    PXL_20231112_143721221.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231112_144645120.jpg
    PXL_20231112_144645120.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231112_145730739.jpg
    PXL_20231112_145730739.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
This is my regular technique to make these. Not always with a fresh edge, although I do really like using this as a test to see how well a knife is cutting.

Slice thin chips from a whole potato, then stack and julienne those:
View attachment 281985

I put them in a bowl with some oil and then microwave them for somewhere in between 2-3 minutes, stirring at the halfway point. The skillet is pre-heating during this par-cook period. Once they're cooked (near all are fully translucent) they get dumped into the skillet and spread/pressed into a circle:
View attachment 281987

Flip it when you can get the whole thing to spin in the pan freely:
View attachment 281990

Cook the second side until fully golden, then flip it over to take the first side to the same color. I make sure to tip it on its side to drain off excess oil:
View attachment 281991And then you can top it what whatever you like.

Thanks again for the idea @ian I really enjoy making and eating this in the morning (when I have the time to make it).
What’s your potato knife pictured?

New member seeing old threads, but this one tickles...

Microwave again, maybe a little less time. (2 min for me)

AGAIN?!?!#$!#$!

I've been doing the micro-rave on my (lazy, box shredder) hash browns, but this 2X with in-between starch distribution sounds like madness/genius. I will try.

I hadn't tried wok, but various skillets/pans with and without weights, and eventually realized that oven with a very well oiled sheet pan gave me best crisp exterior (and max outputs, since I'm often feeding 4).

Reactions: ian
New member seeing old threads, but this one tickles...

AGAIN?!?!#$!#$!

I've been doing the micro-rave on my (lazy, box shredder) hash browns, but this 2X with in-between starch distribution sounds like madness/genius. I will try.

I hadn't tried wok, but various skillets/pans with and without weights, and eventually realized that oven with a very well oiled sheet pan gave me best crisp exterior (and max outputs, since I'm often feeding 4).

You know, I’ve never managed to make this in a sheet pan in a way that satisfied me. Never turns out nearly as crispy. What was your method?

You know, I’ve never managed to make this in a sheet pan in a way that satisfied me. Never turns out nearly as crispy. What was your method?

tl;dr -
1. microwave par cook (now 2x!), salt early
2. think of convection oven as huge air fryer - consistently brush on oil, and flip in sheet pan at least once; I'd use a rack if i had one that size
3. other seasonings with 5-10 minutes to spare (my buddy makes an amazing cajun rub that's perfect on potatoes)
4. a bit of butter or ghee towards the ends is just plain yummy

It's not systematic but it does serve my family nicely 😁

Finding the temperature took me a few tries. I tend to go around 200C/400F.

Reactions: ian
This recipe rocks. First try this morning. Made it with 3 large potatoes for two and a half people in my 11" debuyer and it was too big to flip and not risk oil burns. Will adapt and overcome. Came out great, just in pieces.

Back