Main plate Breakfast potatoes (and eggs) for 1

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liking these a lot. Quick and simple, tasty too. Plus, lots of fun to make.
IMG_4573.jpg
IMG_4578.jpg

This is my regular technique to make these. Not always with a fresh edge, although I do really like using this as a test to see how well a knife is cutting.

Slice thin chips from a whole potato, then stack and julienne those:
PXL_20231112_142916090.MP.jpg

I put them in a bowl with some oil and then microwave them for somewhere in between 2-3 minutes, stirring at the halfway point. The skillet is pre-heating during this par-cook period. Once they're cooked (near all are fully translucent) they get dumped into the skillet and spread/pressed into a circle:
PXL_20231112_143754238.jpg

Flip it when you can get the whole thing to spin in the pan freely:
PXL_20231112_143854532.jpg

Cook the second side until fully golden, then flip it over to take the first side to the same color. I make sure to tip it on its side to drain off excess oil:
PXL_20231112_144445500.jpg
And then you can top it what whatever you like.

Thanks again for the idea @ian I really enjoy making and eating this in the morning (when I have the time to make it).

Attachments

• PXL_20231112_143721221.jpg
    PXL_20231112_143721221.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231112_144645120.jpg
    PXL_20231112_144645120.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20231112_145730739.jpg
    PXL_20231112_145730739.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
This is my regular technique to make these. Not always with a fresh edge, although I do really like using this as a test to see how well a knife is cutting.

Slice thin chips from a whole potato, then stack and julienne those:
View attachment 281985

I put them in a bowl with some oil and then microwave them for somewhere in between 2-3 minutes, stirring at the halfway point. The skillet is pre-heating during this par-cook period. Once they're cooked (near all are fully translucent) they get dumped into the skillet and spread/pressed into a circle:
View attachment 281987

Flip it when you can get the whole thing to spin in the pan freely:
View attachment 281990

Cook the second side until fully golden, then flip it over to take the first side to the same color. I make sure to tip it on its side to drain off excess oil:
View attachment 281991And then you can top it what whatever you like.

Thanks again for the idea @ian I really enjoy making and eating this in the morning (when I have the time to make it).
What’s your potato knife pictured?

New member seeing old threads, but this one tickles...

Microwave again, maybe a little less time. (2 min for me)

AGAIN?!?!#$!#$!

I've been doing the micro-rave on my (lazy, box shredder) hash browns, but this 2X with in-between starch distribution sounds like madness/genius. I will try.

I hadn't tried wok, but various skillets/pans with and without weights, and eventually realized that oven with a very well oiled sheet pan gave me best crisp exterior (and max outputs, since I'm often feeding 4).

Reactions: ian
New member seeing old threads, but this one tickles...

AGAIN?!?!#$!#$!

I've been doing the micro-rave on my (lazy, box shredder) hash browns, but this 2X with in-between starch distribution sounds like madness/genius. I will try.

I hadn't tried wok, but various skillets/pans with and without weights, and eventually realized that oven with a very well oiled sheet pan gave me best crisp exterior (and max outputs, since I'm often feeding 4).

You know, I’ve never managed to make this in a sheet pan in a way that satisfied me. Never turns out nearly as crispy. What was your method?

You know, I’ve never managed to make this in a sheet pan in a way that satisfied me. Never turns out nearly as crispy. What was your method?

tl;dr -
1. microwave par cook (now 2x!), salt early
2. think of convection oven as huge air fryer - consistently brush on oil, and flip in sheet pan at least once; I'd use a rack if i had one that size
3. other seasonings with 5-10 minutes to spare (my buddy makes an amazing cajun rub that's perfect on potatoes)
4. a bit of butter or ghee towards the ends is just plain yummy

It's not systematic but it does serve my family nicely 😁

Finding the temperature took me a few tries. I tend to go around 200C/400F.

Reactions: ian
This recipe rocks. First try this morning. Made it with 3 large potatoes for two and a half people in my 11" debuyer and it was too big to flip and not risk oil burns. Will adapt and overcome. Came out great, just in pieces.

Latest posts

Back