Show Us Your Kiridashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This goes here

Attachments

• IMG_9691.jpeg
    IMG_9691.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Took my new (and first!) kiridashi for a spin today, courtesy of @Illyria

I’m a lefty, but actually it’s not the worst thing in the world to get some practice in for my off hand sharpening.

IMG_2016.jpeg

IMG_2017.jpeg

I found this little guy, a bit worse for wear with some of my grandfather's old stuff. I'd appreciate a bit of help identifying it if any of you have some more info.
Guess no one can help. Would have thought someone here would know

Took my new (and first!) kiridashi for a spin today, courtesy of @Illyria

I’m a lefty, but actually it’s not the worst thing in the world to get some practice in for my off hand sharpening.

View attachment 321005
View attachment 321006

Well that is very nice indeed isn’t it! I was very tempted to pick up one of those two on BST, but I got one from Ed’s initial drop and thought it’d be greedy to deny others. Glad it’s gone to a good home :).

- - -

Also reminded me to go sort out one of my own…

I initially bought two of these, and sold one. But the geometry of the one I kept was more problematic than I’d anticipated, took a fair bit of effort to get this into working order.

Final stone was a Tajima (again from @ethompson, natch). I’ve not bothered removing all of the previous coarse scratch pattern from the work I had to do, but just look at how it picks the detail out nevertheless. Very good and interesting mid-grit polishing stone…

IMG_5537.jpeg

IMG_5517.jpeg

Well that is very nice indeed isn’t it! I was very tempted to pick up one of those two on BST, but I got one from Ed’s initial drop and thought it’d be greedy to deny others. Glad it’s gone to a good home :).
Thanks mate! Can't believe it's taken me this long to pick one up - the concept of being able to test progressions/new stones etc in a short space of time is blowing my mind a bit. 😂

the geometry of the one I kept was more problematic than I’d anticipated, took a fair bit of effort to get this into working order.
What tends to go wrong on Kiridashi? I naively assumed it was fairly straightforward geometry, but of course that's never the case with this hobby...

Thanks mate! Can't believe it's taken me this long to pick one up - the concept of being able to test progressions/new stones etc in a short space of time is blowing my mind a bit. 😂

What tends to go wrong on Kiridashi? I naively assumed it was fairly straightforward geometry, but of course that's never the case with this hobby...

The geometry is fairly straightforward, yep. Though as with yanagi and deba &c. - if it's a bit out initially then it can sometimes take a surprising amount of time and nuance to fix.

The thing here was not just that the bevel needed flattening properly (which is the case more often than not), but also that the edge profile wasn't straight, it had a 'recurve' / 'frown'. And the combination of those two things meant it took a little longer than usual.

Back