Show Us Your Kiridashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an amateur artistic bookbinder who cut a lot of paper, I love these little tools. This is my collection:

#1: Hiroyuki Nagaike Aogami Super
Brand: Mikisyo Hamono Honpo
Blacksmith: Hiroyuki Nagaike. I recommend this documentary.
Steel: Aogami Super

#2 Ikeuchi Hamono 21mm
Blacksmith: Mr. Ikeuchi
Steel: Aogami

#3 Kakuri 18mm
Brand: Kakuri
Blacksmith: unknown
Steel: unknown (I guess Shirogami)

#4 Fujiwara 9mm
Brand: Fujiwara
Steel: Shirogami #2

#5 Advertised as Kasaya kogatana 9mm
Brand: unknown (maybe someone can help me with the kanji on the back)
Steel: unknown (I guess Aogami)
Note: the tip is super delicate/thin. I love it.

#6 Advertised as Kasaya kogatana 7.5mm
Brand: unknown

#7 Ikeuchi Hamono 9mm
Blacksmith: unknown, most likely Mr. Ikeuchi

#8 Takefu Paper Knife
Brand: Takefu Village Knife
Steel: unknown

#9 Takefu Paper Knife
Very nice collection.
The pattern on Nr.3 reminded me of
https://www.kitchen-knife.jp/special/kiridashiknife.htm
3rd from the left in the series in the link.

The kanji is visible in one of the extra pictures by the description, though I do not think they are the same....?

Which one do you like a close-up photo?

My brain kind of went into diarrhea mode there for a little bit. Apologies for not being able to clearly state what I wanted :D

Do you have a close up of the Ikeuchi, the one you mentioned you got from Schilbach? The description sounds very cool but I am skeptical if the iron has sufficient detail to offer

Bet you guys ain’t seened nuthin’ like this before 😏. Check out the grain in that cladding!
6F02B55F-D6A8-450C-B6D1-FC9D90D963C3.jpeg

My brain kind of went into diarrhea mode there for a little bit. Apologies for not being able to clearly state what I wanted :D

Do you have a close up of the Ikeuchi, the one you mentioned you got from Schilbach? The description sounds very cool but I am skeptical if the iron has sufficient detail to offer
Let's see if these macros work.

Attachments

• macro1.jpg
    macro1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • macro2.jpg
    macro2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Top shelf specimen, never sharpened this before too precious of a piece. snake shaped kiridashi forged by 三代國慶 yoshiro ikeda, probably my second favorite kiridashi of him ( the bamboo is no doubt the best kiridashi, since I've talked about it also attached some picture of the bamboo I sold already)

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    437.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0068.jpg
    IMG_0068.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0066.jpg
    IMG_0066.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0064.jpg
    IMG_0064.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0063.jpg
    IMG_0063.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0069.jpg
    IMG_0069.jpg
    465.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 0
Yanick Puig Kiridashi Set

1.2442 and Old Iron

More photos and ramblings in my Collection Thread as always if you're interested!

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/owl-woodworks-collection.60483/post-1032033
View attachment 266138

A question for you Mr. WW, if you don't mind...

When you use a LH Kiri are you using it with your right hand, but for something different? Or are you using in the same way, but for something on the other side, and so using your left hand?

(That q. make sense...? I use kiris a little bit for woodworking, but mostly for stone testing tbh, so I don't know a massive amount about their various practical purposes).

A question for you Mr. WW, if you don't mind...

When you use a LH Kiri are you using it with your right hand, but for something different? Or are you using in the same way, but for something on the other side, and so using your left hand?

(That q. make sense...? I use kiris a little bit for woodworking, but mostly for stone testing tbh, so I don't know a massive amount about their various practical purposes).
I use it with my left hand. I’m moderately ambidextrous with my hand tools, so instead of spinning my work piece around, I’ll just switch to my left handed kiridashi. I greatly prefer it when working on larger or more awkward pieces to turn. Small things like this box however are usually done just with my right handed kiridashi. There are other more technical uses for having two kiridashi’s, more really fine stuff but it would be comically difficult to explain here

Last edited:
As an amateur artistic bookbinder who cut a lot of paper, I love these little tools. This is my collection:

#1: Hiroyuki Nagaike Aogami Super
Brand: Mikisyo Hamono Honpo
Blacksmith: Hiroyuki Nagaike. I recommend this documentary.
Steel: Aogami Super

#2 Ikeuchi Hamono 21mm
Blacksmith: Mr. Ikeuchi

#3 Kakuri 18mm
Brand: Kakuri
Steel: unknown (I guess Shirogami)

#4 Fujiwara 9mm
Brand: Fujiwara
Steel: Shirogami #2

#5 Advertised as Kasaya kogatana 9mm
Brand: unknown (maybe someone can help me with the kanji on the back)

#6 Advertised as Kasaya kogatana 7.5mm
Brand: unknown

#7 Ikeuchi Hamono 9mm
Blacksmith: unknown, most likely Mr. Ikeuchi

#8 Takefu Paper Knife

#9 Takefu Paper Knife

What a lovely collection!

And thank you for the heads up on the wrought clad Ikeuchi. Your macro pics certainly did it for me, and I actually bought two. After flattening the bevels I'll probably sell one, though I might have a hard time deciding which to keep as I think they're both going to come out lovely. (Will post some pics here later).

Spent some more time on this one, I was finally able to figure out that my atoma 140 was gouging the crap outta the hard finishers even after using it for multiple trips to SG120. Resurfaced them with SG500 -> SG2k -> SG6k and things are way less scratchy.

I use the 140 atoma to prep all of my stones now, 100 Gritomatic, 220-5,000 shapton pro

You want to scrub the surface well to pull out any large loose particles

Spent some more time on this one, I was finally able to figure out that my atoma 140 was gouging the crap outta the hard finishers even after using it for multiple trips to SG120. Resurfaced them with SG500 -> SG2k -> SG6k and things are way less scratchy.
View attachment 271346
A completely trashed, worn-out high-quality diamond plate is a treasure for generating slurry. So glad I did not throw out my old ones before I discovered this.

I use the 140 atoma to prep all of my stones now, 100 Gritomatic, 220-5,000 shapton pro

You want to scrub the surface well to pull out any large loose particles
A completely trashed, worn-out high-quality diamond plate is a treasure for generating slurry. So glad I did not throw out my old ones before I discovered this.

I use the 140 on all my synths too, I figured it would be worn in enough after a few months of sharpening, polishing, and flattening a few rough uchis. I got the one with the handle, so maybe I'm just giving it too much ugga dugga

True dat!

I get through quite a lot of atomas. These three are all double sided (140/400) and pretty much spent, but absolutely perfect for slurrying. And if you can get the old sheets off without bending them - then you can stick two back to back and use them like that too. Got a few of those as well!

IMG_E0656.JPG

21204634-B50B-4E9D-9A98-A7B4B90A5A8B.jpeg

F1F908D1-CB1E-46BE-B431-CEE5B48FFF06.jpeg
Got this sweet kiridashi from @Blank Blades - A2(?) clad in mild steel, went up to 5k synthetic instead of starting naturals at 1k. Some decent contrast off the marouyama, quite some details off an extremely etchy shobou suita.

Got a nakayama maruka waiting for me at home when I get off work, can’t wait to test it out.

Big thanks for this one doc!

I like to polish this one for practice. Some lighter pressure on my soft Aiiwatani helped bring out a kasumi, and I'm happy with how it looks. I really want to try a finer polish and possibly bring out some details, but my harder stone is very eager to scratch.

Attachments

• 20231020_183717.mp4
    11.6 MB
  • 20231020_183645.jpg
    20231020_183645.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Back