Show Us Your Kiridashi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've discovered the ultimate and perfect use for Kiri's. Re-tipping billiard cues. The asymmetric grind and sharpness make them ideal for trimming the overhang on a new leather cue tip.

That is my public service announcement of the day.

You're getting madder by the day David. Dare I ask how many billiard cues you've accumulated in that shed...?

There are people who can help.

xxx. ;)

Yeah unfortunately it's embedded in the iron, and has a tactile hollow I can grab with a pin. It took a couple minutes on the coarse diamond to remove so I don't think it was just in the surface.

Not a bid deal in the light of day, just not something I had patience for at 11 at night 2 beers in. Had a nice night with the stones though!

Yeah unfortunately it's embedded in the iron, and has a tactile hollow I can grab with a pin. It took a couple minutes on the coarse diamond to remove so I don't think it was just in the surface.

Not a bid deal in the light of day, just not something I had patience for at 11 at night 2 beers in. Had a nice night with the stones though!
I’ve never had this on a kiri but thinning knives (especially TF mabs) I get them all the time. Big scratch in the stone and often the soft iron. Never could figure out what it was. Always seems to happen close to my finishing grit stone as well. I thought maybe lose abrasive from sandblasted finish but sounds like these are inclusions in the iron from forging…

A full size pic for @Illyria ;). RDG FTW.

RDG Kiri.jpg

You're getting madder by the day David. Dare I ask how many billiard cues you've accumulated in that shed...?

There are people who can help.

xxx. ;)
You know how it goes...

One for pool, one for snooker, a few for visitors, a little one for the kid... Some spares because they were a good deal...

Kiridashi bought from a guy from UK via Etsy (link to store).
Must say, well crafted. Not too flashy, but still has nice details.

The blade came sharp and nicely polished, the handle was finished rather rustic.
I sanded the handle on 320, 400 w/d sandpaper and finished with Uchi fingerstone and a little Maruoyama Ao-Suita powder on a cotton pad.

The bevel took a while to get *completely* flat, but came out of the box flat enough (like 90%).
Took it to Shapton GS 320, 500, 1k, 2k and then finished on a Maruoyama Shiro Suita. I didn't even feel the need to finish on the Ao-Suita

I do like a nicely wrapped wooden box:
IMG_1127.jpeg
IMG_1134.jpeg
IMG_1132.jpeg

Craftsman/職人: Tsunesaburo ・常三郎氏
Place/地域: Banshu Miki・播州三木打刃物
Steel/鋼: Blue steel・ 青紙鋼
Jigane/地金: Modern soft iron・極軟鉄
Full length/全長: about 190mm
Blade length/刃長: about 53mm
Width/幅: about 21mm(7分)
Thickness/厚み: about 3.3mm
Weight/重量: about 80g
Box/箱:With wooden box・桐箱付

Attachments

• IMG_1133.jpeg
    IMG_1133.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
How's the Higo one? They seem so weird to me, I kinda want one.
It just came in today so I haven’t used it much. I had a double bevel higo in the past but I didn’t find it much fun to sharpen. This one however I really like so far. I spent less than 10 minutes on the stones with it and pulled a decent polish. The bevel was surprisingly almost perfectly flat!

Here is my first kiridashi, which I got on my recent trip to Amsterdam. It's a Morihei Kikuyu White #2 18mm. It came with a factory edge and bevel, which wasn't too messed up, but still took me about an hour on diamond plates to bring it to the level I wanted. I took it further on 1K cerax, 3K Naniwa pro, 6K morihei. After that I have done some experiments with jnats. Tried a few Aiwatani nagura and kappa, Chu Nagura as well as Ozuku kappa all from JNS. Oh, that was fun ))).

The initial purpose was to use it as an expensive parcel opener, but once I have it I've used it to score sourdough dough during my last bake. It seems to do a great job at that. Also, I will use it for testing polishing stones and improving my technique, which I am pretty crap at to be honest.

The picture with the box is the original untouched version. The second picture is after spending a few minutes on Ozuku kappa with some slurry and very light pressure.

Attachments

• 20230715_204826.jpg
    20230715_204826.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230718_000948_134.jpg
    IMG_20230718_000948_134.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 0
Here is my first kiridashi, which I got on my recent trip to Amsterdam. It's a Morihei Kikuyu White #2 18mm. It came with a factory edge and bevel, which wasn't too messed up, but still took me about an hour on diamond plates to bring it to the level I wanted. I took it further on 1K cerax, 3K Naniwa pro, 6K morihei. After that I have done some experiments with jnats. Tried a few Aiwatani nagura and kappa, Chu Nagura as well as Ozuku kappa all from JNS. Oh, that was fun ))).

The initial purpose was to use it as an expensive parcel opener, but once I have it I've used it to score sourdough dough during my last bake. It seems to do a great job at that. Also, I will use it for testing polishing stones and improving my technique, which I am pretty crap at to be honest.

The picture with the box is the original untouched version. The second picture is after spending a few minutes on Ozuku kappa with some slurry and very light pressure.
I may well be wrong and happy to be corrected, but my understanding is that the curved kiridashi are designed as grafting knives for gardening work. Is it quite thin?

125sc + wrought.
Joel Black.

😀

Oh he’s done very well there, hasn’t he! To my tastes - your one is marginally nicer, though both look great. :) Is yours the forged ura, or scraped...?

(In fact his knives generally look excellent. Cheers for flagging).

Oh he’s done very well there, hasn’t he! To my tastes - your one is marginally nicer, though both look great. :) Is yours the forged ura, or scraped...?

(In fact his knives generally look excellent. Cheers for flagging).
Scraped ura. His knives are excellent - I had one for quite some years until recently. I got lucky on the notification.

As an amateur artistic bookbinder who cut a lot of paper, I love these little tools. This is my collection:

#1: Hiroyuki Nagaike Aogami Super
Brand: Mikisyo Hamono Honpo
Blacksmith: Hiroyuki Nagaike. I recommend this documentary.
Steel: Aogami Super

#2 Ikeuchi Hamono 21mm
Blacksmith: Mr. Ikeuchi
Steel: Aogami

#3 Kakuri 18mm
Brand: Kakuri
Blacksmith: unknown
Steel: unknown (I guess Shirogami)

#4 Fujiwara 9mm
Brand: Fujiwara
Steel: Shirogami #2

#5 Advertised as Kasaya kogatana 9mm
Brand: unknown (maybe someone can help me with the kanji on the back)
Steel: unknown (I guess Aogami)
Note: the tip is super delicate/thin. I love it.

#6 Advertised as Kasaya kogatana 7.5mm
Brand: unknown
Steel: unknown (I guess Aogami)
Note: the tip is super delicate/thin. I love it.

#7 Ikeuchi Hamono 9mm
Blacksmith: unknown, most likely Mr. Ikeuchi
Steel: Aogami

#8 Takefu Paper Knife
Brand: Takefu Village Knife
Steel: unknown

#9 Takefu Paper Knife
Brand: Takefu Village Knife
Steel: unknown

Attachments

• 1front.jpg
    1front.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 2back.jpg
    2back.jpg
    962.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Could you please share a photo? I would like to see the grain. The description seems promising but I’m skeptical

Sorry, I. Forgot to mention that I meant you amastronardi

Could you please share a close up photo? I would like to see the grain. The description seems promising but I’m skeptical

Back