Hot Sauces

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m a lazy shopper, so my hot sauce preferences shaped by wherever I’ve lived; sources usually whatever local market I happen to be in—I’ve never gone outta my way, or mail ordered hot sauce.

Interestingly, the supermarket nearest my apartment (C-Town) inconveniently keeps hot sauces in three separate aisles—grouped by mother cuisine. Cholula oddly absent from the Mexican section, but featured in Caribbean and American hot sauce shelves.

92CA95FC-8D5A-480C-B0DE-411E1F30A3C2.jpeg

American; Sriracha hot sauces; Cholula

F3BF2C7C-94D9-4078-8120-43295C1156B4.jpeg

Caribbean hot sauces; cholula

22472AF3-C0B8-4188-85C4-8109A389CCB1.jpeg

Mexican hot sauces

Last edited:
I just scrolled through this thread and I have no idea why Marie Sharp's isn't here. It's one of the best lines of hot sauce around.

it's in here! i swear!

do you have a favorite? i buy a lot of the green cactus hab, but i like them all.

I was annoyed that it took me until very recently to discover that there's a "Family Reserve" version of Tabasco. I ordered some about 8 seconds after I discovered that it existed. It is fully worthy: deeper, more intense, Tabasco on steroids. Now I'm not sure when I would ever use the ordinary version.
I had no idea either, just ordered one:). Can't find the Wally's anywhere.

there's a significantly milder habanero variety for folks who like the flavor but not the heat.

personally de-seeded habaneros are just about perfect for me.

btw does romesco count as a hot sauce? Ive got a killer recipe saved if folks wanna see it.

I'd love to see that recipe please...

you got it. fwiw this one isnt a traditional Spanish style, and you can easily adjust it a bit hotter with more cayenne pepper (I double for my personal tastes). but a nice thing about this is that it's made with easy to get ingredients even if you live in Texas like I do lol

btw I would rate this above many recipes I've gotten out of Spanish books, and also in case anyone is a bit dubious, this isnt a vegan restaurant lol

romesco.png

I just really like the basic one, very hot level or "Belizean heat". The flavor is so good it goes on everything...

I just picked up the "fiery hot" and it seems to hit the spot for me for heat/flavor balance. The carrot based ones have definitely been my preference. But how much more amped up is the Belizean heat, and is the extract noticeable?

I just picked up the "fiery hot" and it seems to hit the spot for me for heat/flavor balance. The carrot based ones have definitely been my preference. But how much more amped up is the Belizean heat, and is the extract noticeable?

I think that all of the ones up to Belizean heat are quite mild (for me), and that one really strikes the best balance. It's not insanely hot, and just really well balanced. I've heard the red hornet is really spicy, but I've never tried it.

That's one of the things I like about Marie Sharp's, it's not spicy for the sake of spicy...

you got it. fwiw this one isnt a traditional Spanish style, and you can easily adjust it a bit hotter with more cayenne pepper (I double for my personal tastes). but a nice thing about this is that it's made with easy to get ingredients even if you live in Texas like I do lol

btw I would rate this above many recipes I've gotten out of Spanish books, and also in case anyone is a bit dubious, this isnt a vegan restaurant lol

View attachment 172647

This definitely sounds really good. I'm going to make these tacos this weekend.

View attachment 172647
Just made the Romesco sauce and it is very, very tasty. Will make the cauliflower tacos for dinner later. Thanks for sharing the recipe @tcmx3!
IMG_7571.jpg

Last edited:
My youngest and I were out running around and popped into my favorite spice shop. She left with a small bottle of coarse ground pepper corns and chipotle blend and I, among other things, to include jalapeno powder, left with two jars of this:

cRgVwqB.jpg

UGqLHFd.jpg

Super tasty spice blend! The sweetheart who runs the place had a test bottle and finally coaxed me into trying a taste and yep, better get two of those. I'm giving one to my oldest daughter who will love it.

And yes they do ship. :)

Also, @Michi my friend, they specialize in sausage blends and such. I don't know how it would work shipping to you down there or if would be worth it, but if you see anything you like and there's a way I can help get stuff to you, please let me know.

Michlitch - Spokane Spice Company

Also, @Michi my friend, they specialize in sausage blends and such. I don't know how it would work shipping to you down there or if would be worth it, but if you see anything you like and there's a way I can help get stuff to you, please let me know.
Thank you very much for the offer, that looks like an interesting place to browse! :)

I'll probably end up in the US later this year, and I'm gradually putting together a shopping list. I'll have all the stuff shipped to my son, who lives over there, and then take possession when I get there. One suitcase of clothes and one suitcase of cooking utensils and ingredients for the return trip :)

Last edited:
@Michi pre-COVID they taught sausage making on premises and I've talked to a couple folks who took their classes and they say the Mitchlitch folks know their sausage.
I'm still browsing their site. That's quite the range they have there. It sure looks like they know what they are doing, just from seeing their product selection!

Last edited:
eggs with Tabasco????,,,,,,,, yesssssssssssssss!!! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!!! A marriage made in heaven
Seems to me I tried Tabasco with oysters as well.
I don't think you can beat Tabasco for oysters. Ketchup + Tabasco + horseradish + lemon + a touch of worcestershire(Lea & Perrins) sauce + a couple of drops of olive oil. The best there is for oysters on the half shell.

I make a hot sauce for greens that I grew up eating. It is made with chili pequin peppers and rice vinegar. I just fresh pick the peppers in my garden and put them in a jar with rice vinegar. Then age them for at least 3 months in the refrigerator. You can tell as the vinegar turns darker. Then I pour the aged vinegar on my cooked greens on my plate. I like it on collard and mustard greens.

PS
I use old large Tabasco bottles after I take the label off. A chili pequin is a small little pepper. I wait till they turn red before I pick them.
I may have the pepper wrong it might be a chiltepin pepper.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 9E33EAE9-51D4-401E-BA6B-B4A29B31CBD3.jpeg
    9E33EAE9-51D4-401E-BA6B-B4A29B31CBD3.jpeg
    653.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 75E9049A-8BE9-4364-85D4-83E8F0F7E844.jpeg
    75E9049A-8BE9-4364-85D4-83E8F0F7E844.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
If you're a fan of Sriracha,

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND this one.. FIX

View attachment 172646

Its has SO MUCH more flavor and umami than any other pre bottled type ive ever tried.
I'll try this one. I have tried a lot!! the "shark" brand I LOVE!! I was told it is the OG sauce that all others copy. I can't confirm that, but it is badass.
the one that I have oddly found to be the closest replica is TRADER JOES version. readily available and inexpensive. I am about to squirt some on a hardboiled egg.

to add: I dislike the rooster brand. it is so salt forward.

So today I gave my Hispanic, 1st-generation, born and raised in Southern California, hot sauce loving coworker a small bottle of Fletcher's. By the afternoon he declared it the best "daily style" hot sauce he's ever had and that the bottle would not last the weekend.

Another hot sauce loving coworker overheard us and to my surprise she hasn't tried Fletcher's yet. So after work I popped into my local butcher's and they carry it so I grabbed a bottle for her. The clerk said it is far and away they're best selling sauce, regardless of type.

I'm tellin' ya boys, it's good stuff. :)

Last edited:
So today I gave my Hispanic, 1st-generation, born and raised in Southern California, hot sauce loving coworker a small bottle of Fletcher's. By the afternoon he declared it the best "daily style" hot sauce he's ever had and that the bottle would not last the weekend.

Another hot sauce loving coworker overheard us and to my surprise she hasn't tried Fletcher's yet. So after work I popped into my local butcher's and they carry it so I grabbed a bottle for her. The clerk said it is far away they're best selling sauce, regardless of type.

I'm tellin' ya boys, it's good stuff. :)
Their Web site says they stopped making it for the time being, because they cannot get ingredients.

Their Web site says they stopped making it for the time being, because they cannot get ingredients.

Yeah I saw that. The couple folks I talked to today (not Fletcher' employees) said the consensus is won't last long. I hope not!

I know this shows out of stock but I was in there yesterday and they had several small bottles. They ship so a good chance if you call them you can get some. Order a bottle of Mitchlich's Dry Hot Sauce while you're at it. :)

https://spokanespice.com/categorylist.php

is there any chatter about Tabasco?

i love the stuff. but not for the spice. i love how it is vinegar forward. i add vinegar to dishes to add a brightness. it seems to amp of the flavors without making it sour. Tabasco does the same thing. like to a pile of braised greens!!

Back