Hot Sauces

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
eggs with Tabasco????,,,,,,,, yesssssssssssssss!!! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez!!! A marriage made in heaven
Seems to me I tried Tabasco with oysters as well.

Having Haitian Hot Sauce on my Lay’s crisps—pretty good considering it was $1.99 a bottle.
A39BDDB8-B559-4187-8BF5-3DFB0B8B184A.jpeg

A28E93CB-AA9A-42DC-927E-1DB6FBE14E7D.jpeg

I don't consider myself to be a hot sauce person, but I sure do seem to have a bunch of it hanging around the house. I like Cholula because you can really glop it on without getting things too hot. Tapatio for a bit more heat and spice. Franks or Texas Pete (hometown brand) for classic cayenne/vinegar sauce. Green Cholula or Tabasco for that verdant jalapeno flavor. And chipotle Tabasco for that smokey hit. And Huy Fong sriracha for all those sriracha purposes. And their chili garlic paste for all those chili garlic purposes. I have tried several types of chili crisp but I seem not to care for that genre of product very much, which makes me sad because it seems like it should be more delicious than it actually is.

I have way too many hot sauces… Here in Portland we have a hot sauce/beer bar called AleFire and I used to live above it.. I think I’m down to about 30 hot sauces now but here are some of my favorites.

Valentina (black label, “extra hot”) This is my favorite standard for all the Cholula/Tabasco/Tapatio line up.

Secret Aardvark (top 3 for sure)
Pickapepper (Jamaican hot sauce. I love it)
D. L. Jardines Texas Champagne
Wet Wizard - Los Roast Verde
Humble House - Ancho and Morita
Rad’s Barrel Aged - Rad’s Reserve
Bobby’s Boat Sauce
El Yucateco Habanero Xtra Hot
Karma Sauce - Smokey Karma
High River Sauces - Cheeba Gold
Inner Beauty (seen previously mentioned) +1

and for obvious reasons, can’t forget Frank’s and Sriracha. Mainly these for adding to other sauces. I also love Crystal hot sauce as well.

last hot sauces I’ve made are roasted habanero and carrot, w/ onion, ACV, garlic. The other was a habenero golden beet one. Had too many beets from the CSA so made hot sauce.

Right?! It’s so good. I’ll have to try the PeppaJoy now soon. Looks good. Love guava and scotch bonnet… when I buy a house here (hopefully soon, been looking) I plan on growing my own scotch bonnets to use for hot sauces and jerk marinades.

also agree with green Tabasco. It’s actually the only Tabasco I like and it does go well with oysters indeed.

I would say if anyone hasn’t tried secret aardvark, pickapepper, D.L. Jardines, or humble house ones, those are all soooooo good. All very different too, so having them all isn’t any overlap.

Right?! It’s so good. I’ll have to try the PeppaJoy now soon. Looks good. Love guava and scotch bonnet… when I buy a house here (hopefully soon, been looking) I plan on growing my own scotch bonnets to use for hot sauces and jerk marinades.

also agree with green Tabasco. It’s actually the only Tabasco I like and it does go well with oysters indeed.

I would say if anyone hasn’t tried secret aardvark, pickapepper, D.L. Jardines, or humble house ones, those are all soooooo good. All very different too, so having them all isn’t any overlap.
Have you tried Wallys? I just ordered some from Hood River. I like it.

Green Tabasco on raw oysters is great! Actually, the several Louisiana green hot sauces I've tried on raw oysters are all very good. Of course, good raw oysters without anything on them works just fine. Now I want oysters.

Wash that down with a nice ice-cold bottle of bone-dry Muscadet. Mmmm-mmmm-gooood.

I like Pickapepper on chicken fried steak instead of gravy. It also makes a good Bloody Mary.

I liked the original Green Tabasco they released first better than the current one. I will have to try it on oysters.

If you want the overly complicated way, here's a recepie on hot sauce made from vinyl gloves.

Has anyone here tried Zab's? It's a Datil pepper "St. Augustine" style hot sauce.. This has been on my radar, just haven't bought a bottle yet.
Trying to work through my current supply first 😰

I would also recommend to people the D.L. Jardine's Texas Champange for those who like tabasco/franks/crystal.. because this hot sauce is like all of those had a baby... and I love it.

aardvark and pickapeppa are good. valentina is nothing special imo.

D.L. Jardine's Texas Champange never heard of it, but i want to try now.

PXL_20220301_002608902.jpg

i have way too many sauces. several boxes full. so i have declared a moratorium on hot sauce buying.

i'm going to eat every one of these damn bottles (even old ones unless they are legit expired or taste actually bad) before buying new sauces. *

*but i will replenish everyday sauces as needed

View attachment 167857

i have way too many sauces. several boxes full. so i have declared a moratorium on hot sauce buying.

i'm going to eat every one of these damn bottles (even old ones unless they are legit expired or taste actually bad) before buying new sauces. *

*but i will replenish everyday sauces as needed
Which hot sauce do you like best on your fried chicken? I would probably like Crystal but I have not had all those hot sauces.

out of those ones, crystal and lucky dog medium are the winners.

overall idk what my favorite fried chicken sauce is.

even though i like tabasco overall more than crystal, crystal is maybe better on cold/old fried chicken.

aardvark and pickapeppa are good. valentina is nothing special imo.

D.L. Jardine's Texas Champange never heard of it, but i want to try now.

Valentina isn’t anything special but that’s why I love it. It’s a great everyday hot sauce. The black label one deff taste better too. It’s my favorite out of all the “cholula/tapatio/Tabasco”everyday table sauce.

i have a few staples.

Tabasco - i think the vinegar in the juice really brightens some dishes.
Tapatio. - just because
Trader Joes Siracha. - its better than the rooster stuff which i find way to salty. TJ's is full of garlic and has more dimension in flavors.

i then have a bunch of oils, etc that require a spoon to deliver.

The best hot sauce I’ve had was brought back from Tobago by a friend. It was head and shoulders above anything I’ve ever tasted. It was an unusual, pale green colour. Clearly made with Scotch Bonnet, it was punchy but not overpowering. Good enough to eat by itself. I’m wondering if there was some fruit in there somewhere.

I just scrolled through this thread and I have no idea why Marie Sharp's isn't here. It's one of the best lines of hot sauce around. There is a ton of different hot sauce at my house (and many good ones are already listed here), but there's a special place in my heart for Marie Sharp.

It's from Belize - I visited the factory almost 20 years ago (when it wasn't exported) and it was totally women-run and owned (not sure how it is now, but it's at least still locally made). The carrot base really makes a nice sweetness as well. They have a whole lot of different styles, but the flavor is always great.

And, you can now get it in Europe without having to fly to the US and sneak it back in luggage (which of course I would never do)...
https://mariesharpsusa.com/https://marie-sharp.de/

Home made ..

2 c water
1/3 c white vinegar
2 T salt
1 t citric acid
1/2 c ground red pepper

Adjust any to personal taste, or variations.

For fresh peppers just grind in blender. Start with the peppers and just enough water to get a good mixture first. Same with dry whole peppers, but rehydrate in hot water, and remove any stems and seeds as you wish before blender.

Attachments

• 20220310_091718[1].jpg
    20220310_091718[1].jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Popped into my local Mexican grocery and my favorite lady was working so I asked her what was her favorite hot sauce that they carried. Mind you, that's a pretty respectable inventory. She narrowed it down pretty quickly but it took her a couple minutes to pick the one. Eventually she grabbed this one:

sHyFR84.jpg

She says it has heat but is a flavor-first type sauce and that it is very popular. That's a fine endorsement in my book. Haven't tried it yet but looking forward to it.

I was annoyed that it took me until very recently to discover that there's a "Family Reserve" version of Tabasco. I ordered some about 8 seconds after I discovered that it existed. It is fully worthy: deeper, more intense, Tabasco on steroids. Now I'm not sure when I would ever use the ordinary version.

Back