wip updates please

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Son I love mine. Is m go to knife and getting lots of use! he blde has a great profile that just works!! Thanks again Son!

I did a restore job(nothing fancy) on the scimitar pumbaa got from Son. I thinned the blade a little, cleaned and polished it. I oiled and tru-oiled/sanded, etc the handle. The only thing left is to sharpen this up and slice up some primal cuts!
BEFORE
IMG_4807.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4806.jpg
[/IMG]
AFTER

IMG_4828.jpg
[/IMG]

im going to use that beast to break up chocolate and such since as a pastry chef primals arent a huge concern of mine. i do get to break some meat down and im gonna use it for that.

Grinder is broken. The motor is unseating itself. I've been using it anyways, but I've now got about 1mm clearance before it will be a magnetic dervish in a steel box 8 inches from my vital organs. So I'm solving that first.

What's your excuse?:eyebrow::bat:

Wip Update
I finally got tuned in with my new belt sander. I also was able to get the handle off of this beast.
IMG_4830.jpg
[/IMG]

Here is the after

IMG_4986.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_4987.jpg
[/IMG]

I ground down the blade guard thingy and thinned the edge a little. I also polished 'er up. I would say this is 25% belt sander/polishing wheel and 75% stones. I worked up a good sweat today!
I'm trying to decide what to do with the handle. I want to keep it as original as possible, but I just don't know if I can help myself from using a different kind of wood. I'm probably just going to use the extra handle you sent me, as it is longer than the original.
The tang on this thing is gnarly and twisted. I wonder how old this beast is.

Looks good, and nice use of the brick background.

excellent job, do whatever you feel will work on the handle. You may have to square off the tang where it joins the blade to get a flush fit if you are going to put on the backup handle. If you are going to go completely different a piece of one inch copper pipe makes a great collar ferrule and you could make a nogent style similar to the original. The knife is about 120 years old or so, French made.

Looks good, and nice use of the brick background.

Looks very good.
I thought this restoration was yours at first, Mike, because of the brick background.

My bricks need to be pressure washed! Mike Henry's are much nicer. I gave him a hard time a while ago because he took a knife/handle pic not on brick!

crothcipt gave me a hard time a while ago about taking pics on my dilapidated fence, so I 'm trying to change it up. It's all about sunlight. Maybe on some terra cotta or perhaps stucco next.

First of all to knyfenerd, Pablo, and any others who have chosen to refurb Son's blades: bravo for taking this on. And thanks to Son for your generosity and prodding ;) I enjoy seeing the work everyone does and coming from someone who has COMPLETELY neglected his knives for the last 4-6 months, opening this thread makes me feel bad about my own knives. Whenever I open my knife drawer, I imagine Son's large letters saying SHARPEN ME!!!.

k.

Bought 2 blades of Son a while ago, and with moving house and getting a new job hadn't gotten around to putting handles on them. First one is now underway and should be finished in a couple more hours shaping over the next few days.

Couple of bad pics:

Blad i've started work on in the top pic:
Photo%2016-10-2012%2020%2019%2040.jpg

Thought i'd go for a Western style handle for the first one so drilled some holes with a carbide bit for an ebony 'bolster' that will be pinned. the pins should appear more central when i've finished rounding the pieces
Photo%2016-10-2012%2019%2027%2028.jpg

I've reground the blade as there was no distal taper and they were fat behind the edge, so it's now thins towards the tip and is as convex as i could make it. Poor attempt at getting pic of taper....
Photo%2016-10-2012%2020%2021%2027.jpg

The rest of the handle will be a bit of Thuya burr, not too many eyes in the piece, but should finish up nicely
Photo%2016-10-2012%2020%2022%2044.jpg

After fiddling about getting everything to fit this is how the spine will look
Photo%2016-10-2012%2020%2022%2058.jpg

Just need to shape the bolster and finish the face edges, drill a hole for the pin through the end of the tang and then epoxy it all together before shaping the rest of the handle. Fingers crossed it all turns out how i hope it will.

Then i'll have to decide whether to do the other one as a wa...

Gigantor Knife Done!!!
Spent a lot of time on this one recently. I kinda chickened out and went with the original handle. The backup was a little split, and honestly I didn't want to grind down the tang. I took some extra tang shots to show why. This thing is so crooked and cool looking, it makes me think this knife may be even older than the 120 years that Son thinks is it's age. The tang is part of what makes it unique, and I didn't want to destroy that.
Lots of rehab and resto work. Lots and lots of hand sanding and polishing. I put a tiny bit of epoxy in to set the handle, but not so much that it won't come off if you need it to. The handle is curing now. I'll put a good edge on it tomorrow and hopefully try it out a little at work tomorrow.
Son, PM me your address (I'm assuming it's the return on the package you sent it in) and I'll get this beast back to you next week.
I'm ready for whatever you've got next!!!

IMG_5009.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5010.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5011.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5014.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5015.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5018.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_5019.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Great job, kove it!
You were right about the tang. It shouldn't be shortened any further. If I understood it well, these were originally rat tails, as long as the handle. Once the ebony handle got broken and replaced by whatever was nearby, the tang has been abraded.

How about the steel? I've noticed with a Trompette from that era it was finely grained but quite wear resistant.

Nice work, I thought the original handle deserved to remain on the knife.

awesome, love it Chris. Send it to Eamon, I'm going to have him try and make a saya for it. Hopefully he can get around the little choil thingy now.

Here is the one Benjamin did for me, I just got it in the mail this afternoon. It's the other one of Chef's knives.

chef2.jpg

chef3.jpg

chef4.jpg

chef5.jpg

chef6.jpg

chef7.jpg

chef8.jpg

chefs.jpg

nice chris, i may pay you to rehandle that scimitar. what would you want to put a handle on it since it should be pretty easy. also would you mind showing me how to rehandle? i want to do my miyabi, fujiwara, the fh wa, and whatever bread knife i get.

That is ready to go back in the kitchen !
a thing of beauty:guitarist:

Good idea by Son to take the pix - I should have taken... - before the new patina installs any further. Curiously, the steel of this Trompette is the most wear resistant carbon I've ever seen. I wonder where they got it from. The knife is from the 1890's. In that time, France had lost the Alsace-Lorraine it recovered with the 1919 Versailles Peace Treaty, together with the Sarre.

Bernard Levine states, the French usually bought
their best steel from
Germany; the Germans
made their best steel out of
Swedish ore.

Bernard Levine states, the French usually bought
their best steel from
Germany; the Germans
made their best steel out of
Swedish ore.

The Swedes were/are probably too stupid/ignorant to know good cutlery so we sold it all. The only knife culture we have are the Same knives (kind of out native indians) ;-)

Back