what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I remember back in the day all I needed was a VG10 Spyderco Delica clipped into the waistband of my pants. First was a plastic clipped Delica, then a metal clipped one with that funky barrel bolt when the first one was lost.

Never rusted, easy to sharpen, so light that I'd forget it was there, did everything I needed.

My tastes are more complex (read: expensive) now, but the truth is that I could still get by just fine with that Delica.

Man, I remember back in the day all I needed was a VG10 Spyderco Delica clipped into the waistband of my pants. First was a plastic clipped Delica, then a metal clipped one with that funky barrel bolt when the first one was lost.

Never rusted, easy to sharpen, so light that I'd forget it was there, did everything I needed.

My tastes are more complex (read: expensive) now, but the truth is that I could still get by just fine with that Delica.

I still have quite a few Seki VG10 models around that get used. Not my daily caries anymore but they are on my work benches, in toolboxes and gloveboxes, etc.

Spyderco does VG10 well for the use case.

I still have quite a few Seki VG10 models around that get used. Not my daily caries anymore but they are on my work benches, in toolboxes and gloveboxes, etc.

Spyderco really seems to nail their heat treat for everything. I love their obsessive attention to detail while maintaining production levels.

Spyderco really seems to nail their heat treat for everything. I love their obsessive attention to detail while maintaining production levels.

No one dives into steel like Spyderco. No one supports independent contributors like Spyderco.

Like Sal says, he designs knives from the edge out.

I have the street Bowie, and it felt good on the stones. I wear it on a neck lanyard when venturing past civilization.

MCusta sg2 ironwood
20221005_063425.jpg
20221005_063943.jpg

VG-10 Endela has served me very well in the field. No fuss

Oh man, I didn't know we had a thread for pocket knives. I used to have a ton, but I've distilled it to about 2 dozen and been getting mostly kitchen knives for a while now.
20240506_151908[1].jpg
Today I got my HSK Machineworks out of New Zealand. It's a blackwashed CMP-154 blade (fantastic heat treat, holds an edge forever), excellent walk 'n' talk, and very nice F&F. This guy doesn't do much, but what he does do, he does very well and reasonably priced. I bought another shortly after this one:

I like Pena a good bit. I've had a few of his, never a slipjoint though, but that doesn't mean I haven't tried. I love a sweet Lanny's clip blade and this guys grinds are just so excellent. I don't have a ton of slipjoints, but I do have a handful of 3" locking pocket knives. In fact, besides the HSK, i only have one more, a Gene Wiseman, who is well regarded in the knife world, but HSK's tolerances are better.

Oh man, I didn't know we had a thread for pocket knives. I used to have a ton, but I've distilled it to about 2 dozen and been getting mostly kitchen knives for a while now.
View attachment 319792 Today I got my HSK Machineworks out of New Zealand. It's a blackwashed CMP-154 blade (fantastic heat treat, holds an edge forever), excellent walk 'n' talk, and very nice F&F. This guy doesn't do much, but what he does do, he does very well and reasonably priced. I bought another shortly after this one:
Ooo a Lenny's clip. That's funny, how did you hear about this one? The owner of hsk is a friend.

Been curious about the street bowie for a while. How thick is it ground/do you reckon it'd be worth a damn cleaning critters?
It’s not super thin behind the edge, and the sweep to the point is less than on a good skinner.

So imo it should be a good but not superior blade for field-dressing game from small to fairly large.

Been curious about the street bowie for a while. How thick is it ground/do you reckon it'd be worth a damn cleaning critters?

What sized critters we talking about?

If you haven't already, give LT Wright a look.

That said, my SIL uses a standard Endura to field dress all his deer and elk. Something in the Spyderco Salt line might suit you well, especially given your location and fondness for boating.

Ooo a Lenny's clip. That's funny, how did you hear about this one? The owner of hsk is a friend.
Really? I can't remember exactly. Maybe Reddit, IG, or Bladeforums? I love a sweet Lenny's clip blade and his was well executed and well priced. I got my first and I was impressed with the build quality. I snagged a blacked out version as well as he had a discount for nurses one time. I like supporting new and talented makers. I've been lucky with a lot of them, HSK being one. Tell him I and everyone who sees it likes his work.

Today is my Gene Wiseman sodbuster in od-green micarta and, i think, an other CPM-154 blade. Walk'n'talk is quite as sweet as the HSK, but everything else is *chef's kiss*. Special appearance by Moe and Curly in the background.
20240507_114018[1].jpg

Today is my Gene Wiseman sodbuster in od-green micarta and, i think, an other CPM-154 blade. Walk'n'talk is quite as sweet as the HSK, but everything else is *chef's kiss*. Special appearance by Moe and Curly in the background.View attachment 320002
The “that was not a fart” look on Moe’s face!

Really? I can't remember exactly. Maybe Reddit, IG, or Bladeforums? I love a sweet Lenny's clip blade and his was well executed and well priced. I got my first and I was impressed with the build quality. I snagged a blacked out version as well as he had a discount for nurses one time. I like supporting new and talented makers. I've been lucky with a lot of them, HSK being one. Tell him I and everyone who sees it likes his work.
It's funny, the name came from him mistyping lanny's clip which is on of the most popular slip joint archetypes, and he just kept running with it haha

I thought it was a Kiwi thing and didn't question it lol.

Ok, what am I carrying today? So this is the knife that clued me in to how talented S. African makers. They have a very active and robust knife community (Kitchen too). This is from a knifemaker named Clyde Challenoor. It's Damasteel blade, clip, and backspacer, with Ti bolsters and CF scales. The F&F on this is equal with Kirby Lambert, just really, really tight tolerances. It also kindof looks like a Buck 110. Well executed on so many levels.

Attachments

• 20240508_110850[1].jpg
    20240508_110850[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240508_110855[1].jpg
    20240508_110855[1].jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240508_110906[1].jpg
    20240508_110906[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240508_111815[1].jpg
    20240508_111815[1].jpg
    899.2 KB · Views: 0
I thought it was a Kiwi thing and didn't question it lol.

Ok, what am I carrying today? So this is the knife that clued me in to how talented S. African makers. They have a very active and robust knife community (Kitchen too). This is from a knifemaker named Clyde Challenoor. It's Damasteel blade, clip, and backspacer, with Ti bolsters and CF scales. The F&F on this is equal with Kirby Lambert, just really, really tight tolerances. It also kindof looks like a Buck 110. Well executed on so many levels.
That's an oldie! Clyde makes some cool stuff, want to get a viper someday

Neon CD NL the carry today

View attachment 320244
That looks a lot better than my clone. I met him at blade show one year. He could barely speak any English. This was a dozen years ago. He was already rather popular at the time but his presence there was very low-key and unsuspecting.

That looks a lot better than my clone. I met him at blade show one year. He could barely speak any English. This was a dozen years ago. He was already rather popular at the time but his presence there was very low-key and unsuspecting.
Yeah Sergey still isn't the best at English, but his employee Tom comes to every show and his English is perfect and will translate. His wife Vera also helps out

Back in 2013ish I heard a story of him being upset not every custom sold. Now most auctions go for 30k+ and after his order book got to 5+ years he's had cancel it, and the company is bigger than crk. Glad to see them succeed.

I've felt that neon clone. While it isn't a bad made thing in it's own right, they are so so different feeling

Yeah Sergey still isn't the best at English, but his employee Tom comes to every show and his English is perfect and will translate. His wife Vera also helps out

Back in 2013ish I heard a story of him being upset not every custom sold. Now most auctions go for 30k+ and after his order book got to 5+ years he's had cancel it, and the company is bigger than crk. Glad to see them succeed.

I've felt that neon clone. While it isn't a bad made thing in it's own right, they are so so different feeling
Wow, I knew his popularity had grown, but not to that level. A shiro is considered by some to be one of the archetypal knife designs as it's so universally praised. I believe the build quality and consistent innovation is what got that design to where it is today. Very cool story, thanks.

That's what I love about that slicey blade shape, made to get really sharp. Now, that level of sharpness is squarely because of your sharpening ability. 60 is just stupid.
Yeah it wasn't overnight. Got the bess tester about a year ago and for most stuff I have been hovering around 180-200 until recently. Now I can get 120-150 without too much trouble. This one surprised me though

Back