Daily processing knife.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks ! I'm in the market for a new boning knife as my current Victorinox boning knife is just about worn to a nub. I am about to start working at a steakhouse for the summer but will be returning to a small custom beef and pork processor this fall. I've filled out the knife questionaire and will have that pasted below. I love the over all shape, handle and flex of my semi-stiff 6 inch rosewood handled Vic but the steel is just so soft and I'd like to be able to go longer between sharpening. I typically have to hit my shapton 1000 & 5000 once a week with daily stropping. If it's a high volume week I often have to sharpen more often than that.

USA

KNIFE TYPE

Boning knife

Are you right or left handed?

Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? No preference

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?

5-7 inches

Do you require a stainless knife?

No

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $275

KNIFE USE

Professional processing and burchering environment.

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for ? Boning and processing large primals and sub primals as part of day to day tasks in a professional meat processing facility/butcher shop.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

Victorinox 6 inch curved rosewood boning knife semi-stiff.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? Whatever grip is most effecient and allows best movement and control in a given situation and space constraint.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? Draw and push cutting.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? I'd like a harder steel and better edge retention. The Victorinox while very comfortable and forgiving just gets dull too quickly even when I take extreme care to be mindful of bone and cartilage.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE

Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? I use rubber and soft synthetic cutting boards.

Do you sharpen your own knives ? Yes I have Shapton 320,1000,5000 grit stones and leather strops for various compounds.

For my daily processing knife I was sharpening once a week on a good week and high volume weeks with lots of bone out requests more frequently. Often a stropping throughout the day was sufficient with a visit to the 1000 and 5000 stone weekly.

The Kanehide Bessaku line are analogous to Victorinox with harder steel.
Seconded, the most practical step up in my experience and opinion. It's hard to find a good semi-stiff knife option in that range, I did grind out the spine on an old monosteel gyuto into a boning knife shape and that thing is one of my favorite butchery knives I've used in a kitchen.

Latest posts

Back