Wall Mount Safety

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Its_Raw

Reaction score
New guy question…. I like the idea of using a wall mount to store knives and save some counter space. My concern for my home is safety. Is a wall mount a safe option for the average homeowner/cook? I realize safety is relative to the individual and their actions, but I would hate to increase risk to anyone in my home who might not be as careful as I am. I will put on my helmet, elbow and knee pads, bright OSHA vest, and await your responses. lol

Additional thought… any issues with magnetizing the knife steel?

Last edited:
As long as you screw them to the wall and do not rely on double-sided tape, then I wouldn't be concerned. Most come with good magnets. I have three magnetic wall strips and don't fret about them at all and that includes having my 5YO granddaughter around them.

There's probably a few aspects to focus on:
-Having your magnet properly mounted, and having one whose magnets are good enough that the knives you intend to use on it won't just come flying off (I've returned some cheapo bars for this reason).
-Positioning; don't put it in a place where you'll easily bump them off accidentally (not just a safety issue but a not-damaging-your-expensive knives issue).
-Kids & pets. If you're not able to properly chain them or lock them in a basement, I'd be very cautious with putting knives anywhere they might potentially reach. That also includes them climbing on top of stuff to reach it.

A lot of it comes down to having wallspace in a suitable spot.

Without thinking about it much, long ago I instinctively put my knives on the magnetic bar blade down. If I slip hanging a knife, it might fall but not on me. The ferrule of the knife rests securely on the top wooden rail. It seems safer to me, but my setup allows it because the mag. bar is out of the way but still in easy reach.
The whole thing is securely hung, of course. It’s mounted under a corner cabinet at my prep area.
The contraption is obviously home-built, around a very strong hardware store mag tool strip. The magnetic bar is recessed slightly from the wooden rails, by the way.
9502C6BB-B7D5-4CEA-BEDB-AF2363842381.jpeg

Last edited:
As long as you screw them to the wall and do not rely on double-sided tape, then I wouldn't be concerned. Most come with good magnets. I have three magnetic wall strips and don't fret about them at all and that includes having my 5YO granddaughter around them.
I have one hung on my fridge with double sided tape...... I can't get it off now lol

Mine are screwed to the wall. 2 rows.

I happen to live right on a fault line in CA. Never had a knife fall off. Tip up kind of guy.

While the residual magnetism is an annoyance when trying to take pictures of knives, as they want to stick to each other. Haven’t experienced any issues other than that.

New guy question…. I like the idea of using a wall mount to store knives and save some counter space. My concern for my home is safety. Is a wall mount a safe option for the average homeowner/cook? I realize safety is relative to the individual and their actions, but I would hate to increase risk to anyone in my home who might not be as careful as I am. I will put on my helmet, elbow and knee pads, bright OSHA vest, and await your responses. lol

Additional thought… any issues with magnetizing the knife steel?
Yes, the steel will magnetize. Personally, that drives me crazy, so I bought a demagnetizer.

I'm a maker so there is often ferrous swarf on my hands and clothes that can collect on the blades. Also sharpening the swarf can stick to the edge and make stuff hard to see.
The only atmrtifsct from being on a magnet..... The dwarf sticks to the blade when sharpening. I sharpen over the sink sonincan dunk them lol

It’s the only way to go. Started with two Mag-Bloks from Benchcrafted, and wound up with four. My wife occasionally complains that they’re a little Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but oh well.

Without thinking about it much, long ago I instinctively put my knives on the magnetic bar blade down. If I slip hanging a knife, it might fall but not on me. The ferrule of the knife rests securely on the top wooden rail. It seems safer to me, but my setup allows it because the mag. bar is out of the way but still in easy reach.
The whole thing is securely hung, of course. It’s mounted under a corner cabinet at my prep area.
The contraption is obviously home-built, around a very strong hardware store mag tool strip. The magnetic bar is recessed slightly from the wooden rails, by the way.
View attachment 313360
Man I would be scared for the safety of my knives with this setup, one slip when dismounting into granite and the tip is gone...

Hang them exactly the same way. Never an issue.

This is really upsetting my OCD ;), would it have killed you to have lined them up and coverd up the screws?

Is there no issue with knives getting splashed when cooking? I get tomato sauce almost up to the ceiling (the "bag for life" has a right moan about that)

308796-75C001CC-C873-45EA-A53E-663E1DF7CCBE.jpeg

This is really upsetting my OCD ;), would it have killed you to have lined them up and coverd up the screws?

Is there no issue with knives getting splashed when cooking? I get tomato sauce almost up to the ceiling (the "bag for life" has a right moan about that)

View attachment 320389
Laugh. At first it bothered me as well. Unfortunately, I discovered that drilling into stainless presents some leveling challenges that drilling into wood, etc. does not. My old Skil drill simply did not spin fast enough to drill a pilot hole without sliding a hair or so. Moreover, I learned that all Mag-Bloks are not shaped and drilled identically. Finally, the sheet metal plate itself was not installed perfectly level by our contractors, which caused other angle issues. I’ve tried covering up the screws with the knives, but they don’t stick and want to shift bc of poor magnetism.

Maybe I’ll sand down the blocks or something at some point, but I doubt it. There’s a DIY charm to it, and this is Manhattan: our friends are astounded if you know how to change a fuse. It’s perfectly sturdy, which is the priority; in the end the knives are what matter.

Re: splashing. I rest a mesh screen w/ a handle over pots if there is going to be significant splash. I also primarily cook messy things on the front burners, which keeps the knives more or less out of harm’s way.

Splash guard

Last edited:
Laugh. At first it bothered me as well. Unfortunately, I discovered that drilling into stainless presents some leveling challenges that drilling into wood, etc. does not. My old Skil drill simply did not spin fast enough to drill a pilot hole without sliding a hair or so. Moreover, I learned that all Mag-Bloks are not shaped and drilled identically. Finally, the sheet metal plate itself was not installed perfectly level by our contractors, which caused other angle issues. I’ve tried covering up the screws with the knives, but they don’t stick and want to shift bc of poor magnetism.

Maybe I’ll sand down the blocks or something at some point, but I doubt it. There’s a DIY charm to it, and this is Manhattan: our friends are astounded if you know how to change a fuse. It’s perfectly sturdy, which is the priority; in the end the knives are what matter.

Re: splashing. I rest a mesh screen w/ a handle over pots if there is going to be significant splash. I also primarily cook messy things on the front burners, which keeps the knives more or less out of harm’s way.

Splash guard

normal drill bits don't like stainless. Centre punch should stop bit drifting though.

Back