The one that got away

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello fellow knife nerds,

Was there a knife you saw and for whatever reason didn't pull the trigger? For me, it will be the white aramith gyuto 240mm kamon on eating tools. I randomly went on the site and saw it but thought it was too expensive ( $1750 if I remember correctly). With how expensive kamon is now and hard to get; that is my biggest knife regret.

What is yours?

Selling a Martell ss gyuto shortly after buying it. it had a unique handle, so it initially sat for a while with little interest. But I liked it, so I picked it up. The person I sold it to had wanted to buy it when Dave M was selling it, but hesitated. I do not have any regrets selling it to him, as he is a kitchen pro and put it to great use. I figured it would be easy to get another with a more conventionally-colored handle, but Dave's production dropped shortly after and eventually went away. I have a carbon gyuto, petty and sujis from him, from the ss gyuto was going to sit side-by-side with the ss DT ITK gyuto, splitting everyday duties.

I remember a BST listing for an early Newham for maybe $375 make that $300! Thought it looked amazing but at the time I was playing with a pretty strict budget and I couldn't find much info on the maker.

Edit - here it is. Still bummed:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/newham-236x52-nitrov.45655/

I also passed on a couple awesome looking pieces from Northside last year since I had started chatting with Lucas about a custom. Unfortunately he's on an extended hiatus (can't blame him, building homes is probably a lot more valuable for the world than giving me one more gyuto) so I'm kicking myself a bit for letting them go.

Last edited:
Everything that @DanielC has posted when I didn't have the cash. Unfortunately, that's been every time. Just seems like I'm never in the right spot but it will come together one of these days. His work is incredible.
Man.. came to say the same thing! Virtual hug 🫠

I’m bummed I never made it out to meet Harbeer @HSC /// Knives in person and discuss a custom when he had a workshop in AZ. I always thought I’d get around to it but then he picked up and moved to France.
come on out to Barcelona, I'm about 2 hours north

250mm Thor Damasteel Dalman gyuto with his older masur birch and deer antler handle I think. Woke up at like 3 in the morning and there it was sitting there. Looked at it for a decent amount of time and decided that $750.00 was too much to spend. I woke up later that morning and instantly regretted not buying it.

250 x 70mm new old stock swordsmith gyuto sold for $350. Ground thinnnn at the edge too

Masamoto KS forged iron clad carbon 300mm gyuto for $120, new old stock

Woodworking chiselsmith kamisori new old stock for $70

Unshu yukimitsu 270mm gyuto for $150

Ashi honyaki 240mm gyuto lightly used for $800

Last edited:
Had my hands on a $500 240 Shigefusa Kitaeji, and a $600 Hinoura Riverjump back in the days when I was trying to justify spending $200 on a knife.
Just about anything 10 years ago that went up in price significantly... whether it's Ashi Ginga when they still sold direct to customer in Europe, Masamoto KS for 250 euros, Shig kasumi and Kato in the 300 range, Sukenari Ginsan when they were around 150 for a 240... but if I had to pick one that stood out it was the Hiromoto honyakis for 300-something. Never again will a honyaki be found for so cheap.

Just about anything 10 years ago that went up in price significantly... whether it's Ashi Ginga when they still sold direct to customer in Europe, Masamoto KS for 250 euros, Shig kasumi and Kato in the 300 range, Sukenari Ginsan when they were around 150 for a 240... but if I had to pick one that stood out it was the Hiromoto honyakis for 300-something. Never again will a honyaki be found for so cheap.

Or one of the Singatirin Honyakis for $475!

How could I have known these would have all been financially responsible purchases?!

Or one of the Singatirin Honyakis for $475!

How could I have known these would have all been financially responsible purchases?!
I wished Jensen had told me sooner, 'the more you buy, the more you save'. He was actually right when it came to kitchen knives 10 years ago.
I've basically used that argument to 'finish' my pan collection over the last couple of years.

Everything @marc4pt0 sold before I got to know him. I feel like one of those crazy chicks you hear about who is mad at there guy for having slept with girls before them. Like Marc, I know we didn't even know each other two years ago.... but how dare you.
I can only apologize for this so many times, Luke.
I was just a man out there sowing my wild oats. Coincidentally, I do regret a couple of those sowing moments

I remember a BST listing for an early Newham for maybe $375 make that $300! Thought it looked amazing but at the time I was playing with a pretty strict budget and I couldn't find much info on the maker.

Edit - here it is. Still bummed:
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/newham-236x52-nitrov.45655/

I also passed on a couple awesome looking pieces from Northside last year since I had started chatting with Lucas about a custom. Unfortunately he's on an extended hiatus (can't blame him, building homes is probably a lot more valuable for the world than giving me one more gyuto) so I'm kicking myself a bit for letting them go.
I feel really fortunate to have a honyaki by him. I sent him a message a few weeks ago checking if he’s got plans to make knives again and he’s still unsure of a timeline 😓

I join you on the Kippington regret. His knives are still on my list of things to try at some point.

However, I am happy to say that I can't join you on the Isasmedjan regret. I'm the current owner, and I I gelled with that knife immediately. I really like it. It's a patina monster, I think by design, and it doesn't in any way feel like a 260mm knife.

I join you on the Kippington regret. His knives are still on my list of things to try at some point.

However, I am happy to say that I can't join you on the Isasmedjan regret. I'm the current owner, and I I gelled with that knife immediately. I really like it. It's a patina monster, I think by design, and it doesn't in any way feel like a 260mm knife.
Oh sure, rub it in! 😂

I can only apologize for this so many times, Luke.
I was just a man out there sowing my wild oats. Coincidentally, I do regret a couple of those sowing moments
At this point I don’t think any number of apologies will make a difference. It’s something I’ll never be able to forgive, and certainly not forget.

Back