Other Thüringer Bratwurst

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
Thüringer Bratwurst originates from the state of Thuringia in Germany. There are many different variations of this sausage. Even in Thuringia, there are dozens of recipes, depending on the area and the particular butcher. For example, some recipes use pork cheek instead of pork belly, or include a proportion of veal. The spices vary considerably, as well. What is below is a starting point for a “typical” Thüringer Bratwurst, so feel free to experiment and adjust quantities to your liking. However, one ingredient that should always be in the sausage is marjoram. Without that, it no longer deserves the name “Thüringer Bratwurst”.
Thüringer Bratwurst.jpeg

IMG_2857.jpeg

A note on salt content: most recipes call for 20 g of salt per kilogram of meat. Personally, I find that way too salty. Below, I listed 12.5 g of salt per kilogram of meat instead, which is plenty salty enough, in my opinion. I suggest that you use 12.5 g of salt to start with and, once you have ground the spiced meat, fry a test patty. You can always add more salt to the ground meat if you decide that you prefer a saltier sausage.

Fry the sausages on a charcoal barbecue or a skillet at medium temperature for about ten to fifteen minutes. The idea is to fry the sausages slowly, so the fat can render out and create a nice juicy texture.

A good way to serve this sausage is with Brezen and a Bavarian potato salad or cabbage salad. Fried potato and a green salad with some radishes works really well, too. You need to serve the sausage with a bit of medium German mustard, such as Hengstenberg. (Please, no American mustard; it’s too bland and sweet for this.)

The best drink to go with this, without question, is a—preferably German—beer :)

Raw bratwurst freezes well if you vacuum-pack it.

Ingredients:
  • 1.2 kg pork shoulder
  • 0.8 kg pork belly
  • 25 g salt
  • 4 g (1/2 tsp) ascorbic acid
  • 3.5 g (4 tsp) ground marjoram
  • 3.5 g (2 tsp) ground cardamom
  • 3 g (1 tsp) ground mace
  • 2.5 g (1 tsp) ground white pepper
  • 2.5 g (1 tsp) ground black pepper
  • 2.5 g (1 tsp) ground caraway
  • 2 garlic cloves, very finely grated
  • 4.5 m 30-32 hog casing
Method:
  1. Soak the hog casing in water for at least an hour. Two hours or more is better to make sure that all the salt is removed and the casing becomes supple. Once properly soaked, flush the casing with water to get rid of any remnants of salt and any contaminants on the inside.
  2. Put the meat grinder mechanism into the freezer for at least half an hour, so the meat stays as cold as possible while grinding it.
  3. Cut the meat into chunks suitable for grinding. Thoroughly combine all the meat with the spices. Spread the spiced meat in a single layer (or close to a single layer) on a tray and freeze until the meat is semi-frozen. This makes it much easier to get a clean grind without the fat smearing too much.
  4. Grind the meat through a 4.5 mm (3/16”) disk.
  5. Fill the casing, taking care to not stuff it too tightly.
  6. Twist into 15 cm (6”) sausages.
  7. Use a skewer to pierce the skin where there are air bubbles.
  8. Hang the sausages (or place them on a rack) and let dry overnight. You can dry them in the fridge or in a cool room. (Just don’t let them sit around at room temperature on a warm day.)
IMG_2854.jpeg

Last edited:
At first glance, it all reads quite sensibly.👍

I would have 3 suggestions for improvement:
- no ascorbic acid - only use natural spices and ingredients (when the bratwurst was invented there was no chemistry kit)
- be sure to grill on a charcoal grill (everything else is just an emergency solution)
- Thuringia is not the same as Bavaria - We strictly separate our dishes - Please use Thuringian beer and Thuringian mustard, no pretzels (better eat in a bun) ... and it can be a little longer than 15cm - we are not in Bavaria

20200411_122947.jpg

The site is in German, but Chrome's translation function isn't that bad: Bratwurstrezepte - Bratwurstmuseum in Mühlhausen
Maybe that will give you a few ideas for future experiments

Cheers🍻🌭
luther

We make thüringer where I work and I was under the impression it's supposed to be a little bit sour. I assume that's the thinking behind the ascorbic acid in Michi's recipe.

I would have 3 suggestions for improvement:
- no ascorbic acid - only use natural spices and ingredients (when the bratwurst was invented there was no chemistry kit)
The ascorbic acid (which is a fancy name for vitamin C) is used to help keep the pink colour of the meat. It's definitely not harmful. Leaving it out is totally OK, but I would not cook the sausages straight after making them without it, unless you don't mind the more grey appearance.
- be sure to grill on a charcoal grill (everything else is just an emergency solution)
Yes, charcoal grill is definitely the best option.
- Thuringia is not the same as Bavaria - We strictly separate our dishes - Please use Thuringian beer and Thuringian mustard, no pretzels (better eat in a bun) ... and it can be a little longer than 15cm - we are not in Bavaria
Naw, Bavarian beer is much better :)

Longer than 15 cm is totally fine. Length matters… ;)

Last edited:
Very nice :D have you ever tryied to make a "Nürnberger Bratwurst" In my opinion it´s the best barbeque Bratwurst

You ever tyed a Thuringian beer?
Unfortunately not :( I left Germany before reunification and made it to Thüringen only once after that, for a three-day conference. I don't think I ever managed to drink a local beer in those three days.

Can you recommend some brands? I might be able to dig some up Down Under with a bit of luck.

Very nice :D have you ever tryied to make a "Nürnberger Bratwurst"
Not yet. It's very similar in taste to a Thüringer Bratwurst, but short and thin, using sheep casing. I think it's also ground through a disk with smaller holes, so the texture isn't quite as coarse.

I'll put it on my list of things to try out. As far as I am concerned, Thüringer and Nürnberger are neck-on-neck when it comes to selecting the best German Bratwurst.

The best beers come from the small breweries, of course, but this will probably be difficult to obtain. Of the bigger brands, the following might be interesting:

Köstritzer Schwarzbier (black beer, not a Pilsen brew)
Apoldaer Pils Spezial Domi
Gessner Original Festbier
Ur-Saalfelder
Luther Reformations Pils;)

Nürnberger is the king for me.

Thanks for the recipe I'll give it a go.

The best beers come from the small breweries, of course, but this will probably be difficult to obtain. Of the bigger brands, the following might be interesting:

Köstritzer Schwarzbier (black beer, not a Pilsen brew)
I've had Köstritzer Schwarzbier numerous times, and I like it a lot. It's available in Australia, too.

I had no idea that this beer is from Thüringen. I live and learn!

I love a good brat and most that are pre-made here in the states are ok at best.
Thank you for the recipe I will definitely be giving it a try.

Can this be done without a proper sausage stuffer? My meat grinder has one of those tubes for stuffing sausages, but all the cool kids always says to use the real deal..

Can this be done without a proper sausage stuffer? My meat grinder has one of those tubes for stuffing sausages, but all the cool kids always says to use the real deal..
Yes, I've done it a number of times. It's not as convenient, but it works. I recommend to have a second person to keep feeding the meat grinder while the other person fills the casing. Or, if you want to do it by yourself, shape all of the ground meat into maybe four-inch sausage shapes that fit through the feeder tube of the grinder, so you can easily keep adding more meat without having to muck around with the plunger too much.

I recently bought a proper sausage stuffer, which does make the job a lot easier. But, on the downside, it leaves nearly 300 g of meat in the feeder tube. It means that I have to fry three sausage patties every time I finish making sausage :)

Last edited:
J. Kenji Lopes-Alt has a use for that.
Thanks for the suggestion! In this case, it would be pork ragout bolognese, but I have no doubt that this would taste just fine.

I'll give this a try next time, thanks!

pro tip on salt content- small pinch to test final seasoning on a plate in the microwave. Good for final adjustments as long as you're not also drying/curing it which will obviously make your seasonings more intense.

Finally got around to trying this. Not the prettiest bunch, but I'm happy with them for a first try.
Cooked a patty of what was left in the feeder tube and it tasted nice, really juicy.
IMG_3027.jpg

Thüringer Bratwurst originates from the state of Thuringia in Germany. There are many different variations of this sausage. Even in Thuringia, there are dozens of recipes, depending on the area and the particular butcher. For example, some recipes use pork cheek instead of pork belly, or include a proportion of veal. The spices vary considerably, as well. What is below is a starting point for a “typical” Thüringer Bratwurst, so feel free to experiment and adjust quantities to your liking. However, one ingredient that should always be in the sausage is marjoram. Without that, it no longer deserves the name “Thüringer Bratwurst”.
That's pretty cool, Michi. Thruringia is just a stones throw from my wife's hometown, maybe we'll visit the next time we are over visiting her family. Our beer of choice over there is Herforder Pils. Now I'm hungry for the bratwurst, brotchen, and zwiebelkuchen!

Finally got around to trying this. Not the prettiest bunch, but I'm happy with them for a first try.
That's very respectable, nothing wrong with those sausages!

I'm still struggling occasionally with getting an even fill into the casing. It's difficult because I'm one arm short. I really need three: one to turn the crank (which takes a fair bit of force), one to control the flow of the farce into the casing, and one to move the filled casing out of the way. I can see why some people use an electric stuffer with a foot switch…
Cooked a patty of what was left in the feeder tube and it tasted nice, really juicy.
I can believe that. And you kept a nice coarse texture, which (in my opinion) makes for a better bratwurst than one made with super finely-ground farce.

Back