Stefan's Stefan's Handle Gallery

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just arrived today. Great work as always by Stefan, and the installation of these handles by Dave is flawless. Thanks so much guys! Hate that I will probably end up selling a few of these, but that will just be an excuse to do some more projects down the road.

Anthony

I'm glad that you like them Anthony. Thanks for the work! :)

Happy to hear you like them, Anthony. I think my personal facorites are the kauri handle and the little petty.

Stefan

Just finished up with these two for Norm. The deba is Hawaiian pheasant wood with a black ash burl ferrule, the gyuto has suji wood handle (the national tree of Japan) with a horn ferrule.

P1010002.JPG

P1010004.JPG

P1010005.JPG

P1010008.JPG

Got my knives from Dave yesterday and had a chance to give them a really good look today. Dave's installation is flawless. What can I say Stefan? Absolutely gorgeous. Thanks a million.

Thanks Norm, glad you like them. I really like that sugi, I'll have to make a few more of that. BTW, didn't you have 3 handles?

Stefan

Thanks Norm, glad you like them. I really like that sugi, I'll have to make a few more of that. BTW, didn't you have 3 handles?

Stefan

Yes I did. I was going to use the 3rd for a forgecraft that I did some work on (pics in the show your work section) but when I saw the handle in person I didn't really feel like the knife was worthy of it. Dave is putting it on my Watanabe 240 gyuto. Can't wait to see her.

Thanks Norm. Was that the cascara handle? I forgot who had that, and I am looking forward to seeing that on a knife, I really love the wood... Oh, and thanks for thinking it worthy of a Watanabe knife :)

Stefan

Thanks Norm. Was that the cascara handle? I forgot who had that, and I am looking forward to seeing that on a knife, I really love the wood... Oh, and thanks for thinking it worthy of a Watanabe knife :)

Stefan

Yup. That's the one. I didn't picture it on the Watanabe but when I put the handle up to the knife the choice was easy. I think it's gonna look awesome.

I kinda like it myself, love that cascara wood and still think of Watanabe gyutos as having the perfect profile for me. Gotta add a 240 one day.

Stefan

Correct me if I'm wrong Stefan but I believe this wood has similar properties to ho wood. Maybe a little heavier?? I think it will change very little in the balance of the knife. It is just a tad shorter than the Watanabe handle. One thing I noticed about this wood is that pictures don't do it justice. There is actually a lot of fine, low contrast detail going on in the grain. Very interesting.

I kinda like it myself, love that cascara wood and still think of Watanabe gyutos as having the perfect profile for me. Gotta add a 240 one day.

Stefan

I think the closest in appearance to the cascara is quilted maple. Actually, I bought the block I have as quilted maple but from the pattern everything points to cascara - based on what Mark has described. But the working characteristcs are not very different from maple either. Definitely heavier than ho wood, but the Watanabe can take a slightly heftier handle and having it a bit shorter than the original will also help to retain close to the original balance. I agree with the dilemma: Some of these wood patterns are just so difficult to get across in 2-D photography. I have been thinking about moving to video if I present handles for sale in the future, hoping that the depth of the woods will come across better.

Stefan

Thank you, Will! People here can tell you that I can be very slow in making these and I am way behind with my orders - as usual. My hope is that I will get things sorted out again in January, and also find someeone to help me out in the shop, at least until the pile of orders is finished. Once I now what's going on, I will post an update in my forum section.

Stefan

I cannot believe this ended up on a Shigefusa. But it looks not bad, if I may say so... Thanks Dave!

Stefan

Woooahhh a Kittyfusa:biggrin: You just have to smile at something like that:doublethumbsup:

I cannot believe this ended up on a Shigefusa. But it looks not bad, if I may say so... Thanks Dave!

Stefan

there aren't many blades that can wear a handle like that- it'd better be something good!

Latest posts

Back