• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Spare MCX Gyuto 230mm Nickel Damascus OB Steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

240_Gyutos_Only

Reaction score
Description
This knife has some upgrades and maintenance over how it came stock:
1. Eddworks brass bolstered ironwood handle. The Spare handle felt thin and flimsy to me, this one is a big step up IMO, and is super nice to hold with a pinch grip the way the bolster is ground
2. High polish choil and spine
3. Choil has had the back sweep ground off prior to polish, as I sometimes catch my fingers on the back sweep
4. Etched in concentrated vinegar - There were hard black scale spots on it when it was new that had to be etched off to remove. I didn't like how they looked against the shiny nickel outer layer
5. After etching, bevels were stone polished up to 1k and then sanded lengthwise. They are very smooth now

This knife is super nice and basically one of a kind with the handle, I have been debating whether to sell it at all. It is a terrific all-rounder in a versatile size and profile, very comfortable and well balanced right behind the MCX logo. It has some heft to it with a dense feeling blade, and the bevels are truly convex (see pics). The shiny nickel nashiji on the outer layer has a really incredible contrast against the bevel, especially once a patina develops. I have cleaned off most of the existing patina but provided pics of it before cleaning.

The core steel is aogami super and is very hard, I used it a good amount without needing to resharpen at all. Also does not seem to chip easily, I did not encounter any chipping at all.

The knife is paper shredding sharp, thin BTW and ready to use!

Specs
Blade Length: 227mm
Overall Length: 357mm
Height at Heel: 52mm
Spine Width at Handle: 4mm
Weight: 233g
Steel: OB Nickel Damascus Steel w/ Aogami Super Core
HRC: 65
Handle Material: Stabilized Red Ironwood w/ Brass Bolster
Handle Length: 122mm

Included
Just the knife, no longer have the original box or handle.

Asking Price
$700 withdrawn

Feel free to message me with any questions.

1714700354061.jpeg
1714700395140.jpeg
1714700425742.jpeg
1714700458291.jpeg
1714700485581.jpeg
1714700569837.jpeg

Last edited:
Back