Show your newest knife buy

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats to @ethompson for the successful purchase of a wrought iron nakiri made by mosaku, the kanna blacksmith

Ballsiest craziest knife / maker combo I've ever seen outa Japan

Maybe an iwasaki / mizouchi kitchen knife would be crazier lol
Thanks for showing me the way! All I had to do was close my eyes and pretend the price had one less digit…
IMG_9021.jpeg

Received this fulltang Suji from Daniel(Schon blacksmithing) today. i laughed out hard when i saaw the spine, coming from 13.5mm integral to 4.9mm at heel and 3.5mm near the tip.

300 x 38m, wrought clad with nickel foil over some higly banded 26c3.
balance is slightly forward of the maker's mark. 335g

very very well done

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 17.28.36.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 17.28.36.jpeg
    634.7 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 17.28.37 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 17.28.37 (1).jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 17.28.37.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 17.28.37.jpeg
    645 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 17.28.38.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 17.28.38.jpeg
    309.1 KB · Views: 0
  • WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 17.51.20.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-02-02 at 17.51.20.jpeg
    63 KB · Views: 0
Received this fulltang Suji from Daniel(Schon blacksmithing) today. i laughed out hard when i saaw the spine, coming from 13.5mm integral to 4.9mm at heel and 3.5mm near the tip.

300 x 38m, wrought clad with nickel foil over some higly banded 26c3.
balance is slightly forward of the maker's mark. 335g

very very well done

That's beautiful. Congrats!

Ok, this is sort of a new buy I wanted to share. I bought this back at the end of June from CKTG. I asked him to remove the handle since I had no desire to have the stock handle on it. Previously, I had purchased a nice handle and was going to use that handle, but the Wakui has a HUGE thick tang and I had to do a lot of filing to get the knife to fit. I was able to do it and tried just inserting the knife and did a couple of test cuts. I noticed the knife was a bit crooked in the handle and while adjusting it, the handle got a crack. Well, back in the box and it sat until a few weeks ago when I filed a new handle to fit and installed it using beeswax.

Since I’m a home chef, I can’t imagine mounting using anything but beeswax. It was simple, easy to readjust, and makes switching to a different handle a “plug and play” solution. It is very stable.

The knife is a Wakui stainless clad W2 240. It is 242 mm long, 48.5 tall, 3.6 at the choil, 2.6 midway, and thins nicely to the tip. It weighs 223 grams and the balance point is 15 mm in front of the choil…perfect balance for me.

The choil shot isn’t good since I evidently didn’t wipe it off and there was some debris from the cork I used.

I’d give the knife a 10 overall since it’s thin behind the edge, glides thru everything I cut with it, had excellent food release and balances very slightly towards the blade. I’m a sucker for tsuchime kuriochi and kasumi (ish) and mirror edge finish. I have a Hatsukokoro Inazuma 210 gyuto (it also adds Damascus) that I love with a similar finish, but it’s extremely reactive, so stainless clad is awesome.

Edited to add it was one of the best sharpened knives I’ve had out of the box. I also need to add the handle is from forum sponsor Tokushu knives.

Attachments

• IMG_3854.jpeg
    IMG_3854.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3856.jpeg
    IMG_3856.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3857.jpeg
    IMG_3857.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3853.jpeg
    IMG_3853.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Ok, this is sort of a new buy I wanted to share. I bought this back at the end of June from CKTG. I asked him to remove the handle since I had no desire to have the stock handle on it. Previously, I had purchased a nice handle and was going to use that handle, but the Wakui has a HUGE thick tang and I had to do a lot of filing to get the knife to fit. I was able to do it and tried just inserting the knife and did a couple of test cuts. I noticed the knife was a bit crooked in the handle and while adjusting it, the handle got a crack. Well, back 8n the box and it sat until a few weeks ago when I filed a new handle to fit and installed it using beeswax.

Since I’m a home chef, I can’t imagine mounting using anything but beeswax. It was simple, easy to readjust, and makes switching to a different handle a “plug and play” solution. It is very stable.

The knife is a Wakui stainless clad W2 240. It is 242 mm long, 48.5 tall, 3.6 at the choil, 2.6 midway, and thins nicely to the tip. It weighs 223 grams and the balance point is 15 mm in front of the choil…perfect balance for me.

The choil shot isn’t good since I evidently didn’t wipe it off and there was some debris from the cork I used.

I’d give the knife a 10 overall since it’s thin behind the edge, glides thru everything I cut with it, had excellent food release and balances very slightly towards the blade. I’m a sucker for tsuchime kuriochi and kasumi (ish) and mirror edge finish. I have a Hatsukokoro Inazuma (it also adds Damascus) that I love with a similar finish, but it’s extremely reactive, so stainless clad is awesome.
Nice looking Wakui!

IMG_0725.jpeg

It's been a while since I've had a 5 knife day...

...even though one of them isn't technically new to me.

Milan Gravier 190 ‘Nijiru’ nakiri • 192x52 / 193g • ‘dirty’ wrought clad 135Cr3 • chestnut burl

Konosuke x Bernal Cutlery GS+ ko-sabaki • stainless clad SLD kurouchi • Khii laurel mono

Shi.Han 250 gyuto • 247x56 / 237g • 52100 mono kurouchi • thermory ash mono

RDG 180 mini gyuto • 180x41 /121g • deep-etched wrought clad 52100 • desert ironwood + wrought iron

Marko Tsourkan 190 WH long petty • 193x38 / 159g • 52100 mono • desert ironwood + black horn

View attachment 297614

Milan Gravier 190 ‘Nijiru’ nakiri • 192x52 / 193g • ‘dirty’ wrought clad 135Cr3 • chestnut burl

Konosuke x Bernal Cutlery GS+ ko-sabaki • stainless clad SLD kurouchi • Khii laurel mono

RDG 180 mini gyuto • 180x41 /121g • deep-etched wrought clad 52100 • desert ironwood + wrought iron

Marko Tsourkan 190 WH long petty • 193x38 / 159g • 52100 mono • desert ironwood + black horn
5 in one day...?

5 in one day...?
Yeah, not ideal from a collection reduction perspective.

In my experience, the two enduring truths of BST are: 1) In the end, everyone loses money even though we're all selling knives to each other; and 2) When you sell off knives, you inevitably find yourself with more than you started with.

In my experience, the two enduring truths of BST are: 1) In the end, everyone loses money even though we're all selling knives to each other; and 2) When you sell off knives, you inevitably find yourself with more than you started with.
This is sooooo true. New knives also seem to all appear or are found at the same time, regardless of when one orders or is looking for. It seems as soon as I find a knife I was looking for and pay for it another appears. Or as soon as a custom order needs to be paid for another custom order is ready as well.

This reminds me, I need to sell a few knives 🤷‍♂️

My new Milan Tuma arrived from the Czech Republic. 216 x 59mm, 193g, AEB-L, 61-62 HRC with an S grind.
I am on his mailing list. Don't know how I found him. I was just adding smiths one day while bored. Judging by his emails, his works seems to be improving, cleaner, better grinds. How is it?

Couldn’t have said it better myself..

Ok, this is sort of a new buy I wanted to share. I bought this back at the end of June from CKTG. I asked him to remove the handle since I had no desire to have the stock handle on it. Previously, I had purchased a nice handle and was going to use that handle, but the Wakui has a HUGE thick tang and I had to do a lot of filing to get the knife to fit. I was able to do it and tried just inserting the knife and did a couple of test cuts. I noticed the knife was a bit crooked in the handle and while adjusting it, the handle got a crack. Well, back in the box and it sat until a few weeks ago when I filed a new handle to fit and installed it using beeswax.

I’d give the knife a 10 overall since it’s thin behind the edge, glides thru everything I cut with it, had excellent food release and balances very slightly towards the blade. I’m a sucker for tsuchime kuriochi and kasumi (ish) and mirror edge finish. I have a Hatsukokoro Inazuma 210 gyuto (it also adds Damascus) that I love with a similar finish, but it’s extremely reactive, so stainless clad is awesome.

Edited to add it was one of the best sharpened knives I’ve had out of the box. I also need to add the handle is from forum sponsor Tokushu knives.
Filing down those tang holes is the biggest pain in the ass. I've had to do that with my Toyamas that had very thick (and crooked) tangs. Also, thanks for sharing your experience with beeswax, I'll have to try that next time.

View attachment 297614

Wildly envious of that marko, even tho it appears wrong-handed

I am on his mailing list. Don't know how I found him. I was just adding smiths one day while bored. Judging by his emails, his works seems to be improving, cleaner, better grinds. How is it?
I can't compare it to his previous work but this knife is very clean. The grind is very very smooth. I really like the S grind. The choil and spine are well rounded and very comfortable without a hint of a rough or sharp edge. I am not used to such a tall knife but other than that, it is a joy to use.

👍 Jamie (who was the original owner) spec’d a 50/50 grind when he ordered it.
Can confirm on this one - 50/50. I always make sure I get neutral grinds when the artisan is typically doing specific-handed grinds. I find a good convex grind tends to beat everything else all-around, I cut using both hands depending on how I'm feeling, and resale/don't like something that doesn't work more generally. Oh, and just a touch of OCD about balance/symmetry and all that.

Back