Pretty places

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sturgis 2010

EDFB26AD-A5E7-4059-A692-31F9B7F2BA56.jpeg

CD3156E0-7279-42E4-8BAF-1F2409A5FB92.jpeg

Some Photos from my Honeymoon, which was 12 weeks of camping around California, Oregon, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Vancouver and the Island, Banff

Here are Moonrise at Zion, Yosemite, Lake Louise, and I think somewhere in the Tetons.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
  • elcap.PNG
    elcap.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 28
  • LL.PNG
    LL.PNG
    868.7 KB · Views: 26
  • trees.PNG
    trees.PNG
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
Only got a glimpse of it from the US side, and boy does it look gorgeous. Quite jealous of the background whenever new knife pics from you shows up.

The east coast of Vancouver Island is indeed a special place. Because my house faces eastward across the Straight of Juan de Fuca towards San Juan Island on the American side, I’m treated to many gorgeous views of sun up from my front patio and kitchen window. Here are but a few of many many pictures from my home.

806D81FD-F7F2-46C0-B5D4-06F68CA2C03C.jpeg

In the foreground is San Juan Island … site of the famous Canadian - American Pig War. Look it up! In the background is Mt. Baker … over 100 miles from where this picture was taken. As a dormant volcano it should present quite a view when it blows its top. Hopefully I’ll be taking a pic of a Billips that I’ve pried from Dixon’s dying hands when it goes. On July 4th each year I enjoy the fireworks displays from the American side celebrating your Independence.

31787B4D-9EED-4EF4-AA08-24AFD2A240D8.jpeg

This is D’arcy Island. Home of a Canadian leper colony at the turn of the previous century.

89AB6BE9-3423-4EF4-B440-8A07620373D2.jpeg

This is a Canadian Frigate stationed at CFB Esquimalt … Canada’s largest west coast naval base. A few times each year one will anchor overnight at this spot … which happens to be in the middle of one of the best commercial Dungeness crabbing spots on the west coast. Probably happens when the Admiral is having a big party at the naval base. I’ve often wondered if anybody is around to enforce possession limits.

458FD2A2-769A-4080-B4B0-F86E38506F00.jpeg

Last pic is the sun rising to the east. We all know that the sun moves with the changing seasons but this view changes constantly throughout the year as the sun swings about 60 degrees across the horizon as the days change.

Some Photos from my Honeymoon, which was 12 weeks of camping around California, Oregon, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Washington, Vancouver and the Island, Banff

Here are Moonrise at Zion, Yosemite, Lake Louise, and I think somewhere in the Tetons.
The pictures look beautiful!

And quite apart from the pictures, spending three months honeymoon camping is super awesome. This would have been a great idea for me and my wife too if the circumstances of our wedding weren't so complicated.

@Brian Weekley Your part of the world is really beautiful. This picture was taken a bit north of your place I believe, on a sailing trip starting in Port Hardy and ending in Campbell River. Don't ask me exactly where tough...

View attachment 163342

I’ve been to this area many times By boat. To the North (Port Hardy end) it could be the Broughtons Archipelago. If South (Campbell River end) it could be Desolation Sound. Either end is exquisite in the summer … a little less so during the winter storms. It’s on the route taken by the cruise ships from Seattle/Vancouver/Victoria through the Inside Passage to Alaska. A must do item on most peoples bucket list.

@Brian Weekley Your part of the world is really beautiful. This picture was taken a bit north of your place I believe, on a sailing trip starting in Port Hardy and ending in Campbell River. Don't ask me exactly where tough...

View attachment 163342

It was on one of the last days of my trip and Desolation sound rings a bell to my memory. It was in late July 2019 - a cousin and her husband lives on a sailboat there in the summers these days.

Didn't really focus on the camera much but I did get some close encounters with nature. Fortunately a bit of a distance here:

P7140580.JPG

That little teddy bear was closer to Port Hardy... That country of yours sure has it's share of pretty places. I saw some of the flat bits in Alberta, and some of the wet bits in BC and some of the tall rocky places inbetween. :)

P7050327.JPG

Last edited:
That’s a very rare pic … unless my eyes deceive me that’s a brown bear … Coastal Grizzly. They’re plentiful on the Wet Coast but you never see them. They are very reclusive. If you see a bear it’s generally a small black bear. The further north you go along the coast the more remote, rough and beautiful it gets until you reach Haida Gwaii (the Queen Charlotte Islands) and finally Alaska. The entrance to Desolation Sound is a short way from a little marine village called Lund. Here’s a pic …

B11A6F68-7680-4ABE-BF39-2337D4B543B2.jpeg

050434C5-187F-48BB-AED0-3E2A1D5535EA.jpeg

Lund is the northern end of the road along the coast of British Columbia. If you are not inclined to take an Alaska Cruise you can drive north from Vancouver along the Sunshine Coast, taking a few small ferries between islands, to end up in Lund. A gorgeous trip at a fraction of the cost of a cruise or boat charter.

I know the feeling well. I spent a small fortune getting my boat ready to do the trip single handed from Victoria to Alaska via the inside passage in 2018/2019 … ready to go in 2020. Covid hit and the rest is history. No trip … the borders closed. If you are interested a Swedish couple has a YouTube sailing channel called Ran Sailing. They crossed the Pacific to Alaska in 2019 and documented their trip by sailboat down the inside passage from Alaska to San Diego I believe. It’s worth watching. I met up with them in their stop in Victoria. An amazing couple on an amazing journey. They have now just left Sweden on their new boat, with a new baby, to continue their adventures.

Start here … but there is lots to see …

Last edited:
Back