Paper Towel Challenge

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me likey. I allways have wondered what the red paint was about, protect from water damage?. I have it the other way round, better at sharpening knives then razors. Currently waiting for a large handpicked grey ToS stone from dalmore estate for knives but the whites I have are no where near said grit rating maybe 8k max, infact I go as far to say all naturals are over rated in finish.
I got the big one from the estate and a boxed WOA. I don't know the reason for the red paint. It is on the larger blocks and my understanding is these were for the French Market. Why I don't know. It was done on both the WOA and the TOS, but for a specific market so unless it was for protection of water damage only on large thick cut blocks and those were only for the French market. It seems odd.

I got the big one from the estate and a boxed WOA. I don't know the reason for the red paint. It is on the larger blocks and my understanding is these were for the French Market. Why I don't know. It was done on both the WOA and the TOS, but for a specific market so unless it was for protection of water damage only on large thick cut blocks and those were only for the French market. It seems odd.
Interesting. I just assumed it was for protection because my WOA is full of fissures and the sealed red sides were for that reason like jnats with cashew lacquer.

Interesting. I just assumed it was for protection because my WOA is full of fissures and the sealed red sides were for that reason like jnats with cashew lacquer.
No the normal boxed labeled ones don’t have it. Plus there are a ton of rocks big and small sitting in those buildings. Most don’t have the paint. Some have obvious water stains yet sat for many years with no damage issues. I am guessing they were not heated either in the winter. Just a guess though.

No the normal boxed labeled ones don’t have it. Plus there are a ton of rocks big and small sitting in those buildings. Most don’t have the paint. Some have obvious water stains yet sat for many years with no damage issues. I am guessing they were not heated either in the winter. Just a guess though.
Gotcha, I won't seal my WOA then.

Just once I’d like to try a knife that sharp
Just here to tell you to not give up hope. I’m 4-6 years into casual sharpening and 2 years into collecting knives and stones. A few suggestions below if you’re at the beginning stages of sharpening

1. Keep it simple at the beginning on equipment. You need a 200-500 grit stone for repairs, a 800-1000 grit stone as your workhorse and a 2000-6000 stone to bring final touches to the edge

2. Learn what a burr feels like and challenge yourself to get an even and consistent burr down the entire length of a blade

3. Somewhat controversial but I try to deburr after every stone. I usually do 10-16 edge leading strokes (alternating sides) and then 10-16 edge trailing strokes. Especially on my beginning stones (400,1000), I’ll also deburr by cutting through a paper towel folded up many times. Some people do light passes through cork too

4. If you aren’t sharp at 400-600 grit, it’s not gonna get any better as you go up. A 10,000 grit stone isn’t going to save you from mistakes on a 400 stone. Similarly, a $1k Jiro isn’t going to eliminate the problems you have sharpening a Victorinox

5. I was the best I’ve ever been at sharpening when I ran a sharpening side hustle for a month and was working on knives every night for 2-5 hours. What I mean by this is that you’ll get better the more that you practice.

Return to monke

Practice practice practice
Well I get my first stones next week and my benchmark is a knife that cut paper towel (but not as cleanly as @NickMinton ) out of the box. I enjoy refining new skills and listening to audiobooks, so this should be a good way to unwind from time to time.

Perhaps I will check back in re the Paper Towel Challenge in 2025…

5. I was the best I’ve ever been at sharpening when I ran a sharpening side hustle for a month and was working on knives every night for 2-5 hours. What I mean by this is that you’ll get better the more that you practice.
All excellent suggestions. But sharpening for 5 hours doesn't work for me. When giving a full sharpening to three knives, the first one is OK. The second one brilliant. With the third one, halfway I decide to go back to the first stone and will finish it the next day.

Managed to get a sabatier k to cut paper towel on a JNS 300. I swear that JNS 300 feels more like a 600.

Don't ask for a video, I can't even take a half decent photo.
If it happens to be a carbon one, it deserves a high polish. Don't understand why Bernal suggests stopping at 1k.

If it happens to be a carbon one, it deserves a high polish. Don't understand why Bernal suggests stopping at 1k.
The higher the polish the more protection against rust too, right?

It's a stainless steel sabatier, I find a high polish won't last on this particular knife. My 1950s carbon nogent takes an incredible edge all the way upto 8-10k though edge retention suffers due to the softness.

It's a stainless steel sabatier, I find a high polish won't last on this particular knife. My 1950s carbon nogent takes an incredible edge all the way upto 8-10k though edge retention suffers due to the softness.
It's common to all stainless Sabs, I'm afraid. With the carbons, keeping them thin enough behind the edge and convexing the edge makes edge retention acceptable. I maintain them with a small piece of Belgian Blue.

It's common to all stainless Sabs, I'm afraid. With the carbons, keeping them thin enough behind the edge and convexing the edge makes edge retention acceptable. I maintain them with a small piece of Belgian Blue.
Yep sure is, I like to use a big charnley forest with light slurry and sharpen in hand to do this exact same thing.

Belgium blue and coticule is on my list.

Ok I’ll play
Sharpened up my lobster splitter- unknown rusted garage sale find that I restored
400 cerax, 500 shapton glass, 1000 cerax, 2000 naniwa
This thing had no real edge so had to put new bevel on

The blade geometry is definitely on the robust side more Clydesdale than laser

Last edited:
Ok I’ll play
Sharpened up my lobster splitter- unknown rusted garage sale find that I restored
400 cerax, 500 shapton glass, 1000 cerax, 2000 naniwa
This thing had no real edge so had to put new bevel on
View attachment 319001
The blade geometry is definitely on the robust side more Clydesdale than laser
Very nice. Very nice.
I'm starting to think I'm the only one unable to do this haha.
Good job man

Very nice. Very nice.
I'm starting to think I'm the only one unable to do this haha.
Good job man
I only managed it the once with a very toothy coarse edge, I have noticed everyone is using much thicker towel then me aswell.

I only managed it the once with a very toothy coarse edge, I have noticed everyone is using much thicker towel then me aswell.
Mine will cut paper towel very very clean but will only cut maybe 3 inches down. It's either my edge or my technique when cutting haha

Latest posts

Back