Outdoor knife - how to fix the tip?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pie

you.. you got any more of them rocks?
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hunting knife guys. Do I file out a Bowie/Rambo style drop tip, or bag on the beautiful India stone and reprofile to a harsher curve, with a monster fat stabby tip? It’s from the early 1900’s so I want to try to remain somewhat period correct.
2F92FDA0-8A8F-4B18-ABA3-68AB2BB0E563.jpeg
2FE25840-15C5-41AB-ACE1-82828A947853.jpeg
934E2992-4975-4CC4-B2F3-250BF53B236C.jpeg

As you can see, there’s plenty of work to do, with an extremely thick spine at the break, often the case with badly tipped knives.

On the plus side, We got ourselves a shinogi!

You likely already know but that's a trailing point blade a.k.a. clip point. I think it will look weird if you add a drop at the very end. It also kind of goes against the intended skinning purpose of the design.

Almost home, I would take some off the spine to meet the tip. You need to do a little work up there any way.

You have moved the primary grind up the blade, but they are also ground back towards the spine, clear out to the tip.

Like this...

Almost home, I would take some off the spine to meet the tip. You need to do a little work up there any way.

You have moved the primary grind up the blade, but they are also ground back towards the spine, clear out to the tip.

Like this...
Looking at proper examples of this, I feel like I’m not up to the task. Files vs metal is currently not my strong point.

my primary purpose is restoration, which, if I take the grind all the way up the tip, would probably best achieve this. Also a meaty tip would survive the most abuse.

Once again thanks for the input!

One of the very rare cases where working from the spine only won't work, I'm afraid, unless you have powered equipment at your disposal.
You will have to rework the edge's profile, and, inevitably loose some length.

Reactions: Pie
You certainly don't need a file to restore the clip point, you can use one of the SiC stones made to be used in hand, usually labeled for garden tool sharpening. I'd just send you one if you were in the US, but shipping to Canada will run the same as buying a new one. I'd just go to any flea market or swap meet though, they're usually plentiful and cheap.

In this particular case I would not rework the spine but start just below the belly and raise the tip, then raise the shinogi line a little while thinning.

Looking at proper examples of this, I feel like I’m not up to the task. Files vs metal is currently not my strong point.

my primary purpose is restoration, which, if I take the grind all the way up the tip, would probably best achieve this. Also a meaty tip would survive the most abuse.

Once again thanks for the input!
I don't think it weakens the point, probably the opposite effect. The end geometry it produces at the point is reminiscent of a bayonet or spear.
I suspect it makes them better for poking (stabbing) though hide ect.
IMG_4815[1] by blair barrington, on Flickr

Reactions: Pie
Well, it’s not all that geometrically correct but it’s pointy!!
F94C321E-6D08-4C16-8AA8-75407FBDCA94.jpeg
34D318F8-C86A-46E6-A5A2-6AD39A1743A4.jpeg
17BDD8B1-57C3-4930-837C-1F54D8868693.jpeg

Gotta clean up a couple bulges, but I think the geometry is mostly done. I’m not going to even up the grind near the tip with the rest of the knife until it comes back (hopefully) a couple decades later.

Last edited:
Back