• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Misono 195 or similar

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinJ

Reaction score
Hey,

Looking to buy a misono 195 or similar size / shape overall. Looking more towards carbon.

I'm left handed so symmetric grind of left handed bias (could do with a slight right hand bias but no strong flat/convex on the right side plz)

I could go up to 100 dollars :)

I'm still in the US for 10 days so it's a limited time request!

Cheers everybody

At Kleinanzeigen (ebay-like) in germany somebody is selling a used Misono carbon 210mm for 90€
Link
Thanks for the rec, I'm looking towards the 195 because it is slightly taller and I like the profile!

Thanks for the rec, I'm looking towards the 195 because it is slightly taller and I like the profile!
Have someone order it for you from Amazon, with tax it’s just under $90 brand new. Pretty sure all of these are ground 70/30 standard but you can adjust that bevel yourself easily.

Attachments

• IMG_2579.png
    IMG_2579.png
    645.9 KB · Views: 0
The normal one comes with a strong asymmetry. Produce will stick on the flat left side. I had a lot of work on my recent right-handed one to reduce the thickness behind the edge.

The normal one comes with a strong asymmetry. Produce will stick on the flat left side. I had a lot of work on my recent right-handed one to reduce the thickness behind the edge.
I always thought that the 70/30 grind was just the secondary bevels, but I dont have one of the eu carbon ones to be able to tell, but unfortunately misono production knives aren’t lefty friendly as they all seem to be righty biased. Probably more opportunities finding manufacturers with 50/50 lines.

Last edited:
Misono makes lefty versions with an inverted geometry, with a convexed left face and an edge off-centered to the right.

Last edited:
Hi,
The left handed version is unavailable, I don't know it the right handed is very biased but I'm not sure I want to take the risk....
Sorry, if you select the version without flower engraving, then the left handed version is available. The price increases to $128 but it's there as an option if you can't find anything else.

Sorry, if you select the version without flower engraving, then the left handed version is available. The price increases to $128 but it's there as an option if you can't find anything else.
Do you think the knife still worth it at this price point?

Do you think the knife still worth it at this price point?

People really like their misono swedish series knives, but they tend to gravitate to the 240. The 240 is a great opportunity to get a well made mono carbon western at a low price, and it also comes with a cool dragon engraving. The 195 might not represent the same value proposition because some might find the shorter length limiting, but that is 100% subjective and depends on your preferences. In general, misono are really nice. I wouldn't put them in the same camp as some cheap westerns. So it's really up to you!

Specialty retailers seem to have them but unfortunately not at the price point you are looking for. I assumed since they do conversions at Korin that the basic geometry would be the same but my assumption could be wrong. https://www.korin.com/japanese-knives/brands/misono/misono-swedish-carbon-steel?page=1
A conversion as proposed means the edge is recentered. But the knife's fundamental geometry remains unchanged, with the flat left side, causing sticking and poor food release.
As the edge doesn't follow the blade's geometry any longer, you should expect in the long run serious wedging and steering issues.

People really like their misono swedish series knives, but they tend to gravitate to the 240. The 240 is a great opportunity to get a well made mono carbon western at a low price, and it also comes with a cool dragon engraving. The 195 might not represent the same value proposition because some might find the shorter length limiting, but that is 100% subjective and depends on your preferences. In general, misono are really nice. I wouldn't put them in the same camp as some cheap westerns. So it's really up to you!
I have both — an old and a new 240, and recently got a 195, exactly because the 210 is too narrow as the OP rightly stated. I would say they are worth every penny, especially if you want a lefty version. The premium you're going to pay is relatively small.

A conversion as proposed means the edge is recentered. But the knife's fundamental geometry remains unchanged, with the flat left side, causing sticking and poor food release.
As the edge doesn't follow the blade's geometry any longer, you should expect in the long run serious wedging and steering issues.
Well that is... Not ideal 😂

Back