Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be interesting. Not sure if it’s Wakui standard grind or infamous workhorse grind

Looks like a finished run of the Tanuki line to me, which have fairly standard midweight specs (on my 180 gyuto anyway).

The wakui with machi are online
Not knowing the weight it is hard to tell if they are the same as the Wakui/Kochi V2 that you see everywhere else but it looks that way. Hate to say it but these are cheaper elsewhere and often come with very nice chestnut handles.
Wakui V2
(btw: that linked shop has a Wakui migaki iron clad santoku left that was specially ordered)

Not knowing the weight it is hard to tell if they are the same as the Wakui/Kochi V2 that you see everywhere else but it looks that way. Hate to say it but these are cheaper elsewhere and often come with very nice chestnut handles.
Wakui V2
(btw: that linked shop has a Wakui migaki iron clad santoku left that was specially ordered)
The thicker machi version is what I've been after for the longest time. I've had plenty of the standard size neck wakuis over the years.

May I know why?
Is this more robust than the WH?
It's a taller machi/neck. To me it's more comfortable compared to a "less tall" machi, for lack of better term. Having it taller feels like a more seamless grip for my hand.

less tall machi
1715797233523.png

full height machi
1715797287870.png

It's a taller machi/neck. To me it's more comfortable compared to a "less tall" machi, for lack of better term. Having it taller feels like a more seamless grip for my hand.

less tall machi
View attachment 321662

full height machi
View attachment 321663

I find that with shorter heel height knives like Wakui it brings my knuckles too close to the board for comfort.

I’m very happy for knife makers making $$. I think they should charge whatever they want. One thing has been interesting for me though are Ben Kamons blades, mainly through Modern Cooking.

I understand theres a ton of variety with this niche hobby. I’m curious who the target audience is and who is actually buying these knives. It seems like MC has good reach to customers on their side of the pond. Obviously prices on his work are higher but we are past the $2k mark easily for new work.

I don’t have a problem with the price but these sell out instantly. I know some people who snagged most of the Myoda sale for that week. Anyone here been buying Bens knives at that price point here? Obviously we are more in the collector mindset but I feel like it’s in the bot realm. Like they buy it regardless of price or desires. This may help to get some European opinions on this.

For example theres another knifemaker that buys Ben’s work pretty regularly. He has a cool IG, I think its like Anchorage for or something. To me, his perspective of it is Ben is a legendary knifemaker and it’s an honor to own these pieces (I think both were over $4000 each) and it’s more incorporated into his business.

Any collectors here just buy that $2500 barely used Kamon from MC today?

Maybe I’m just sad that these things get bought and we never get to see pictures of them again 😅

Back