Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody use the code for Homebutcher recently? Dadsdoitbetter. I wanted to use one on a knife I was eyeing but am I in the minority that hates that wenge/faux horn handle? They seem to have it on a lot of their knives.

Anybody use the code for Homebutcher recently? Dadsdoitbetter. I wanted to use one on a knife I was eyeing but am I in the minority that hates that wenge/faux horn handle? They seem to have it on a lot of their knives.
Ya I got one of those handles and its just OK. I much prefer real horn and different wood. The handle was never sanded and has planer marks. I don’t know if I’ll keep the knife but if I do I’d like to rehandle it.

The faux horn reminds me of a faux marble bathroom sink that was in my house when I bought it (with a chocolate brown tub and toilet). Long gone.

Ya I got one of those handles and its just OK. I much prefer real horn and different wood. The handle was never sanded and has planer marks. I don’t know if I’ll keep the knife but if I do I’d like to rehandle it.

The faux horn reminds me of a faux marble bathroom sink that was in my house when I bought it (with a chocolate brown tub and toilet). Long gone.
Lol yes is pretty weird I have one too. I would probably like it as a change on cheap blades instead of plain ho wood handles, not on a Nigara though. To my likings I prefer a basic teak handle or a mono wenge one to go cheap. Anyways homebutcher deals are awesome 😎

This isn't necessarily new, but does anyone here know what is implied by "updated version" for these Yoakes? I searched these forums with no luck, and I emailed Phil a few days ago and still no response.

https://homebutcher.com/products/hatsukokoro-yoake-dawn-240mm-blue-1-gyuto-updated-version
I believe it's the painted on KU over the rust spots from the earlier batches. 😁

Joking aside, I'm curious as well, but guessing it's cleaning up some of the wabi sabi they came with before. Either way, I really like the line and think it offers a ton for the money if you enjoy tinkering with knives.

Joking aside, I'm curious as well, but guessing it's cleaning up some of the wabi sabi they came with before. Either way, I really like the line and think it offers a ton for the money if you enjoy tinkering with knives.
Thanks! That would make sense.

This isn't necessarily new, but does anyone here know what is implied by "updated version" for these Yoakes? I searched these forums with no luck, and I emailed Phil a few days ago and still no response.

https://homebutcher.com/products/hatsukokoro-yoake-dawn-240mm-blue-1-gyuto-updated-version
Phil answered on his instagram.
1685740329481.png

I believe it's the painted on KU over the rust spots from the earlier batches. 😁

I’ve been really debating one. Especially with his 25% off…
I’ve seen a lot of people say they enjoy theirs so wouldn’t mind getting hands on one

With spine thickness of 7.25mm these must be quiet heavy? Is that a typo? Or would this be classified as a “work horse”?
The measurements vary substantially on these, but they taper down pretty quickly from being very thick out of the handle. The grinds also thin out very quickly and get really thin behind the edge. While they have some heft, it feels different from a workhorse to me. For reference, I just measured one (which is a little thinner than another I used to have) at 270g, 6mm just past the handle, 4.5mm above the heel, 2.1mm at the midpoint, and 1.3mm ~1" from the tip and here is a choil shot:
IMG20230602183828.jpg

Back