Is Wakui WH worth it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanted to give an update for any potential buyers of the new batch at JNS.

I got a 270 after @maxim mentioned that the front portion of the knife got thinned out.

It’s a significant change and one for the better.

I’m really enjoying mine but be aware they’re still really really blade forward.

Im getting a custom handle and saya made to balance it out but overall I’m very happy with the new batch

My new Wakui WH (arrived today) is definitely thinner near the tip than the one I had 1.5-2 years ago. At the time, I kept the Seiryu and sold the WH largely for that reason (and blue 2 vs white 2). Here are some specs from mine:
270 WH (2024)240 WH (2022)240 Seiryu (2022)
Length274247248
Height615757
Thickness, Heel6.15.05.0
Thickness, 1 cm Tip1.11.51.2
Weight384317302

Haven’t used my 270 in a few weeks, this thread made me want to pull it out. 1 mm thickness at 1 cm from the tip. But that was after I thinned it out on my own. Still need to shave off some more weight in the midsection before I put it back in rotation.
1707869967336.jpeg

I got a 270 after @maxim mentioned that the front portion of the knife got thinned out.
Was this just on the newer batch for the thinned tip?

I have a 240 I picked up in a trade last year and believe it was originally purchased somewhere mid 2023.

Tip is right at 1mm about 1cm back so wondering if they’re going even thinner now. Pretty darn thin for such a large blade.

Was this just on the newer batch for the thinned tip?

I have a 240 I picked up in a trade last year and believe it was originally purchased somewhere mid 2023.

Tip is right at 1mm about 1cm back so wondering if they’re going even thinner now. Pretty darn thin for such a large blade.
From what I’ve understood, yes, just this new batch

Mine is 0.8mm and much better at cutting

It’s still super sturdy but no problems with horizontal cuts or wedging

Left: @HSC /// Knives wrought clad Gyuto 230mm

Middle: Heiji SS 240mm

Right: Wakui WH 240mmView attachment 286672
Inspired by this post, I share another comparison (not only WH type of profiles, just to put things in another perspective in case it could interested someone) of three of the knives I reached for when I have a lot to cut : the Kawachi (slightly oversized) 240, the Toyama 270 or the Wakui WH.
The most versatile is the Kawachi, large and slim, it's a great middle weight (approx. 200gr) with a versatile profile and is super fine behind the edge. Then the Toyama 270 (approx. 250gr), slightly asymmetrical, which is said to be more suitable for right-handed cooks, but my example is a good compromise. It has maybe the best profile, regardless of the technique used (rocking or push cut).The Wakui WH is the heavyweight (approx. 320gr) of the bunch, perfect for the lazy (but strong) cook :) With its 320 grams alone, it ghosts through onions/carrots almost effortlessly, but as already mentioned, you want to maintain the (great) edge if you don't want to thin it, because eventually it will get too thick behind the edge after several sharpening sessions.

Spine shot from left to right: Kawachi, Toyama, Wakui WH
Spine shot_Kawachi240 vs Toyama240 vs WH240.JPG

Spine shot_Cose up__Kawachi240 vs Toyama240 vs WH240.JPG

Choil shot Kawachi, Toyama, Wakui WH
Choil shot_Kawachi240.JPG

Choil shot_Toyama270.JPG

IMG_0299.JPG

Profile shot Kawachi, Toyama, Wakui WH

Profile_Kawachi240.JPG

Profile_Toyama270.JPG

WH240.JPG

Hope it's helpful!

Attachments

• Choil shot_Toyama270.JPG
    Choil shot_Toyama270.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

It’s a significant change and one for the better.

I’m really enjoying mine but be aware they’re still really really blade forward.

Im getting a custom handle and saya made to balance it out but overall I’m very happy with the new batch

Thanks for that feedback! How much of an issue is that imbalance? where is the balance point? is that something you could live with as a home cook? I don't feel like forking out more money on an already expensive knife.

One of the best f&f you can find on a knife. Saya and chestnut handle are a nice upgrade. Last iteration cuts really well despite the weight. White 2 steel is very well treated, i'd say almost on par with munetoshi. At the end the feel in hand is a matter of personal preference, it worth to try it imho. Im using it, but in 2 month i still don't know if i prefer Toyama over it.

One of the best f&f you can find on a knife. Saya and chestnut handle are a nice upgrade. Last iteration cuts really well despite the weight. White 2 steel is very well treated, i'd say almost on par with munetoshi. At the end the feel in hand is a matter of personal preference, it worth to try it imho. Im using it, but in 2 month i still don't know if i prefer Toyama over it.
You're right about the feel, guess I will just have to try myself Where did you get the Saya? It doesn't look like JNS provides that with the knife, or do they ?

You're right about the feel, guess I will just have to try myself Where did you get the Saya? It doesn't look like JNS provides that with the knife, or do they ?
I’m getting mine done as a custom down the road by @birdsfan in ironwood.

You’ll probably have to do some custom work (custom handle, saya or both) to get the balance where you want. You’ll probably be a bit limited on wood due to weight being an issue or you’ll have to also have an end cap to balance it out.

I've taken the saya from jns, but maybe they are out of stock. Any way when you buy there is the option to flag

Last edited:
Back