How old are you guys?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
37. Though I'd say I'm still pretty hip.

giphy.gif

A young 59 (at the beginning of a shift). An old creaky 59 (after the shift is over)
Change 59 to 43, and this is me.

Which is funny to me. When the younger workers are pooping out around 8/9pm, I'm still going.

They think I'm on drugs.
No, I'm just not hungover and crashing off of Red Bull or Monster's.

My 30s were fine. Everything started going to hell in my 40s. Started with heart surgery.
Yikes that doesn't sound good. My hip was a longtime issue, apparently, part of the femur wasn't shaped right and was mashing the cartilage of my hip socket. They reshaped the bone but i have some permanent cartilage damage, technically osteoarthritis. Doesn't hurt but bound to worsen over time. Will probably need a hip replacement a couple decades from now. So it goes!

Yikes that doesn't sound good. My hip was a longtime issue, apparently, part of the femur wasn't shaped right and was mashing the cartilage of my hip socket. They reshaped the bone but i have some permanent cartilage damage, technically osteoarthritis. Doesn't hurt but bound to worsen over time. Will probably need a hip replacement a couple decades from now. So it goes!

I've had the same heart surgery twice. At 41 I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. When it would kick off, my resting heart rate could be anywhere between 140 and 180. The first surgery didn't work but it took a number of years before it became serious enough to do the surgery again. This last time (a year ago) seems to have done it, but there were some healing issues that kept me down for the about 6 months afterwards.

I've had the same heart surgery twice. At 41 I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. When it would kick off, my resting heart rate could be anywhere between 140 and 180. The first surgery didn't work but it took a number of years before it became serious enough to do the surgery again. This last time (a year ago) seems to have done it, but there were some healing issues that kept me down for the about 6 months afterwards.

That's really scary dude, sorry to hear. My father in law just had surgery for A Fib, too. Sucks that the first procedure but fingers crossed that the second one holds! I think there's often pretty good results from the surgery?

Atrial fibrillation is especially tough because it’s so darn stubborn. It tends to come back frequently and the treatments (whether it’s ablation or the medications/thinners) aren’t benign and without risk either. Really the best thing one can do is manage the main underlying causes like heart disease, alcohol and sleep apnea. My dad’s been struggling with it for a long time :/

Which is funny to me. When the younger workers are pooping out around 8/9pm, I'm still going.

They think I'm on drugs.
Kids these days can't hang. They grew up with respect for their work/life balance, and never got conditioned to the Orwellian workhorse grind that you and I excel at.

We're a dying breed. Maybe for the best. ;)

That's really scary dude, sorry to hear. My father in law just had surgery for A Fib, too. Sucks that the first procedure but fingers crossed that the second one holds! I think there's often pretty good results from the surgery?

The surgery I just had was on a different level than the first one. Much more advanced in the mapping and they worked at getting at the spots that were causing it. The surgeon told me that they loaded me up with adrenaline to try and get me to act up the surgery and he couldn’t. I’d been in a-fib for 8 months straight prior to the surgery. I have a lot more faith in the second surgery than the first.

Atrial fibrillation is especially tough because it’s so darn stubborn. It tends to come back frequently and the treatments (whether it’s ablation or the medications/thinners) aren’t benign and without risk either. Really the best thing one can do is manage the main underlying causes like heart disease, alcohol and sleep apnea. My dad’s been struggling with it for a long time :/
Prior to my surgery, I’d been through about 10 different drugs to try and control it. It is hard which is why I did the surgery again because nothing was really working.

They think I'm on drugs.
I forget people can be grandparents at 43 lol. My parents are 72 and 74 while I’m 28 and my kid is 18 months

So, I'm curious, what is the age range we unearthed so far, youngest and oldest?

Kids these days can't hang. They grew up with respect for their work/life balance, and never got conditioned to the Orwellian workhorse grind that you and I excel at.

We're a dying breed. Maybe for the best. ;)
I'm actually big on work/life balance. I make sure my team gets their breaks. I don't contact them when they are off, unless I absolutely need to.

It's amazing how one little trick, of not partying every night before a work day, can make such a huge difference.

C'est la vie

Back