Great American Solar Eclipse

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently in WV visiting in-laws. Picked up some of the ISO rated glasses. I expect to be unavailable while remote working for a few hours while we drive over to Ohio to be more in the main path since Columbus is just a few hours away. Was on the fringes of the one that passed over the Carolina’s a few years ago, but wasn’t prepared. Not making the same mistake this time

Currently in WV visiting in-laws. Picked up some of the ISO rated glasses. I expect to be unavailable while remote working for a few hours while we drive over to Ohio to be more in the main path since Columbus is just a few hours away. Was on the fringes of the one that passed over the Carolina’s a few years ago, but wasn’t prepared. Not making the same mistake this time
If at all possible (probably impossible), try to find a place away from people, so you don't get all the shouts of "oh" and "ah" and running inane commentary. To me, seeing an eclipse is truly awe inspiring, and I think it is best enjoyed in stillness. Closest thing to a religious experience I ever had.

I am like totally ready

1712549841498.jpeg

I also happen to live in the path of totality. The hype is absurd. Reminds me of y2k (anyone remember that non-event when all utilities would fail?). Governor is sending out national guard - to do what exactly? Prediction is traffic nightmare, the population will double for a few hours (I doubt it). Its like an inch of snow in Florida is about to occur.

I also happen to live in the path of totality. The hype is absurd. Reminds me of y2k (anyone remember that non-event when all utilities would fail?). Governor is sending out national guard - to do what exactly? Prediction is traffic nightmare, the population will double for a few hours (I doubt it). Its like an inch of snow in Florida is about to occur.
Not to be a "Five Lagavulin Deep ********" right now, but the Y2K non-event took about 520 billion dollars (adjusted for inflation) and a global effort to mitigate, and it was mitigated so well it became a "non-event" meme in the eyes of the public 25 years later. It was a real thing though. It just got fixed before we saw the problem, and since we never *saw* the problem, obviously there never was a problem to begin with right?

The eclipse panic is utterly absurd tho lol

Animals get confused during eclipse. Birds sound off. I'm sure hominids would get freaked out several million years ago. The moon it is said used to be closer to earth over hundreds of millions years has drifted farther out. So coverage used to be more. Now moon is 239,000 thousand miles from earth, sun is 93,000,000. That's why small moon much closer can cover the sun. Now we know paths around the world into the future. Still it is event that is a spectacular experience. Reminds us that we live on a spinning planet slightly tilted on its axis. Your moving pretty fast just standing still. Orbiting our Sun.

Where I live I know a lot of folks backed out last minute to make the road trip to Texas as the weather forecast was not ideal. Still plan on going to a local park shortly getting some calisthenics in then venturing to a local creek to be with the wildlife.

I remember the last eclipse in summer the wildlife were really odd. Dead silent and dead still. I was only in 80% eclipse but very odd to be outside. No wind, birds, bees, just dead silent.

The clouds broke up long enough for us to see it for a couple minutes here in Houston. My parents went to Austin and they only saw it for a brief moment.

Ok, that was one of the coolest experiences of my life. The halo around the moon looked like it was out of a movie and the way the sunlight flared around the moon as it burst back into being was insane

Attachments

• IMG_5821.jpeg
    IMG_5821.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5820.jpeg
    IMG_5820.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5823.jpeg
    IMG_5823.jpeg
    48.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5822.jpeg
    IMG_5822.jpeg