Fixing plastic ferule to handle?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikaelsan

Reaction score
Hello, thourght some here might have some experience with this here.
I have a Narinia? santoku, with a wa handle with plastic ferule, and the ferule is loose I have without success tried simple all purpose glue as I did not expect this to need much. Do you know what is the simple solution here ? The ferule is tapered and about 1 mm longer than it needs to be to be flush, so I considered knocking the handle off and sanding the last mm away in the wide end that should in theory make the fit a bit more snug. The handle has this small install hole so I guessing it should not be glued.

What would you do and have you done a fix like this in the past?

Attachments

• 20240330_103415.jpg
    20240330_103415.jpg
    912.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240330_103431.jpg
    20240330_103431.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240330_103437.jpg
    20240330_103437.jpg
    688 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240330_103543.jpg
    20240330_103543.jpg
    776.6 KB · Views: 0
I’d remove the whole handle and put a replacement handle with a proper (i.e. non-plastic) ferrule on the knife.

This is also a great occasion to get a new knife altogether! Just saying! :angel:

Hello, thourght some here might have some experience with this here.
I have a Narinia? santoku, with a wa handle with plastic ferule, and the ferule is loose I have without success tried simple all purpose glue as I did not expect this to need much. Do you know what is the simple solution here ? The ferule is tapered and about 1 mm longer than it needs to be to be flush, so I considered knocking the handle off and sanding the last mm away in the wide end that should in theory make the fit a bit more snug. The handle has this small install hole so I guessing it should not be glued.

What would you do and have you done a fix like this in the past?
I would probably try hot glue, but I echo @daddy yo yo and say new better handle or new knife because we are enablers. 😬🤣👍

Hehe wouldn't be the first time someone got a more expensive handle than the knife itself 😀 but it's my dirty beater free for all stay out in the open knife magnet. Kkf is already subconsciously enabling me to look for a shindo to replace another knife I have - but thanks I will try the hot glue before hammering the handle off

Simple solution to keep it from loosening is a little bit of epoxy. Tape up all the areas you don't want epoxy on, wipe off any excess and call it a day.

Additional optional steps if you have more time and want more stuff to do:
  • Dye the epoxy so that the color blends in with the black plastic ferrule
  • Remove handle
    • Reinstall blade with hot glue as long as it fits currently, no issue with small hole size)
    • Sand the lip of the ferrule flush after epoxy cures
  • Make a new handle

Last edited:
Back