Favorite sides with Steak?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lots of cooked spinach with garlic, lemon and olive oil.

Roasted asparagus, fresh seasoned tomatoes and crusty sourdough… Simple, yet delicious…

Not a side, but a small amount of home made pesto goes far better with steak than it has any right to, sounds disgusting admittedly! Got that idea from Jamie Oliver (pukka innit)

A little bit of gilding the lily, but garlic parsley butter roasted mushrooms.

Baby potatoes boiled for a bit, finished in the pan with olive oil, butter, salt, pepper and chopped fresh Rosemary. Quick and easy.

Grape/Cherry tomatoes started in the pan with tiny amount of olive oil and a good amount, but not too much, Balsamic vinegar, and finished roasting in the oven, another quick and easy, but I love these.

A slice of summer:

IMG_9852.jpeg

This happens to be a berkshire pork chop but steak would work too, grilled summer squash, garden tomatoes and basil with burrata cheese and avocado.

I'm a creamed spinach lover for something to go with a steak, so they stand up on the plate... not the green gravy style.
Sauteed spinach or chard with mushrooms is next, followed by roasted butternut squash or even acorn if it's homegrown.
Store bought acorn is usually flavorless.
I do love bright green crunchy asparagus though and after that would be artichoke hearts with a pasta with a load of pecorino and garlic.

Saucing the steak with a lump of fancy butter is always a win, but for a twist, try butter that has been clarified and spiced: niter kibbeh.

Make your own with a block of unsalted Lurpak and a teaspoon of kibbeh manteria, strain through cheesecloth or coffee filter.
Thanks for the tip! Might be hard to find here. I didn't have any luck online. There is a large African community here in Brisbane, including a bunch of Ethiopian shops and restaurants. I'll rummage around there and see if I have any luck.

There is a large African community here in Brisbane, including a bunch of Ethiopian shops and restaurants.
So envious! You’ve got a Little Ethiopia there!

I bet you could find berbere, mitmita, and kibbeh kimem at either Red Sea or Sheger grocery
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2x4T3axfEWHo88AR6?g_st=ic
And koseret too if they have it.

Plan B: ethiopianspices.com ships internationally. Plan C: DM me and I’ll add a few jars for you to my next order from Brundo.com. Pretty sure I can demonstrate compliance with the regulations on spices and dried herbs.

I bet you could find berbere, mitmita, and kibbeh kimem at either Red Sea or Sheger grocery
Red Sea didn't even know what it was. But Sheger is run by an Ethiopian family. They didn't have any in stock today, but they make it themselves on the premises. I'll be able to pick up some on Friday :)

Roasted green beans. Mash potato. Mushrooms.

Red Sea didn't even know what it was. But Sheger is run by an Ethiopian family. They didn't have any in stock today, but they make it themselves on the premises. I'll be able to pick up some on Friday :)
I got a tub of Netir Kibbeh. While I was there, I stocked up on Berbere, too.

Excited to see how you like it! For me, the fragrance is intoxicating… I find myself layering it in as a finishing oil because if I put it in early the spices burn off and it basically acts like ghee. But I might be missing nuance.

Edit: different recipes go differently, of course. I tend to use less koseret so it’s less minty and the other ingredients come to the fore.

Last edited:
Excited to see how you like it! For me, the fragrance is intoxicating… I find myself layering it in as a finishing oil because if I put it in early the spices burn off and it basically acts like ghee. But I might be missing nuance.
I like the flavour a lot. It is subtle, but really nice. I'm about to make a big batch of lentils with it.

roasted potatoes - always a winner and better than fries or baked IMO but I'm a fan of them all.
garlic mashed potatoes - love them with a good ribeye
sauteed onions and/or mushrooms - yes
aparagus always seems good with a steak
I also love a pile of spinach w/ butter with a steak - a childhood favorite of mine that I rarely see in a restaurant for some reason unknown to me. Maybe the same reason I haven't seen it listed here already?
Sauteed spinach with garlic was my go to choice for greens with steak. Morton's in SF offers it. Needed gobs of butter.

Potatoes always work well with steak
Pommes Anna - a little work, but a beautiful wedge of crispy potatoes
Twice baked potatoes
Yukons, halved, par boiled and finished on the grill with your steak
Roasted fingerlings

Mushrooms always work - sauteed w/ shallots and thyme, then a red wine or demi

Asparagus, grilled, roasted or just boiled. Boiled are great if you pre cook, ice bath, then heat w/duck fat or clarified butter just before serving. Topped with some toasted nuts or gremolata

Tried and true green beans with toasted almond slices

Spinach gratin

Onions - again if you're grilling - start the grill early, slice some onions and toss with olive oil salt and thyme, wrap in a foil pouch and put them on the grill.

Might sound like an odd pairing, but I love pan fried gnocchi with steak or other grilled meats, espcially if you're serving a whole steak or chop. Gnocchi make a great side to soak up the meat juices on your plate.

Any good suggestions for salads and other 'hot weather foods' that pair well with red meat? Especially if you don't have a BBQ or a grill handy...

Any good suggestions for salads and other 'hot weather foods' that pair well with red meat? Especially if you don't have a BBQ or a grill handy...
A little late reply weather-wise but I like to make my own green goddess dressing. It's great basted on grilled chicken or fish but also for salads. You can shave broccoli and carrots into a slaw and toss with the dressing too, which I quite enjoy. There's a hundred different recipes out there so you'll have to experiment to see which base you like best. Generally I grab everything green in the herb section and have settled on a mix of sour cream and greek yogurt vs just one or the other.

This a good summer side too:

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes...bs-and-scallions?smid=ck-recipe-android-share
Red cabbage coleslaw w/ red wine vinegar and a drop of cane syrup in the sauce instead of sugar makes a nice crisp side. Cucumber salad (the onion/vinegar kind), and a well executed chunky mango salsa can be treated Ike a salad or condiment, though I like that better with pork than steak. Avocado+tomato salad pairs nicely with steak though.

Mushrooms, asparagus, green salad, grilled bread.
Of course everyone from Idaho knows that a ribeye, salt and pepper, hot coals, a baked russet potato with all the fixing is the foundation that can't be improved upon. ;)

Back