Favorite sides with Steak?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
potatoes taste great ofc (fondant would be my choice here) but IMO I find that as a combination with steak too heavy just due to the starch.

my favorite that I've made is the Burnt Carrots from Six Seasons. I also like a nice roasted broccoli or artichoke hearts.

Ribeye works well with garlic & herb mashed potatoes, baby spinach sauteed in olive oil with lemon juice, salt and garlic.

Always with an additional side of something fresh and crunchy like a simple green salad with a vinagrette dressing. You get all kinds of different textures and cover all the fundamental flavors that way.

Bearnaise sauce is always nice too if it hits that right spot with tanginess.

Rösti potatoes are always great… as are simple starchy (we have a local almond shaped variety that we call the Lappish potato which is just wonderful) potatoes crushed with skin on right after steaming or boiling them, covered with melting butter, salt and freshly cracked black pepper. Add Bearnaise sauce to that… oh my.

Different potato casseroles (sliced or other ways cut potatoes layered with cream, garlic, onions and whatever) can be a hearty winter treat.

Broccoli off the grill/pan/broiler/etc. works too, as long as it has texture left to it, same with green asparagus.

Mushrooms, asparagus, green salad, grilled bread.
Of course everyone from Idaho knows that a ribeye, salt and pepper, hot coals, a baked russet potato with all the fixing is the foundation that can't be improved upon. ;)
When I lived there, it felt like all the Idaho potatoes were grown in Oregon and beets were the Gem State cash crop!

😁

When I lived there, it felt like all the Idaho potatoes were grown in Oregon and beets were the Gem State cash crop!

😁
Oh yes, it does seem that way, most of the potatoes we see at the grocery store are from Oregon. Them big beautiful bakers bring a premium and are mostly sold out of state, and then the smaller ones end up in the local processing plants to make hash browns, french fries ect.

Like most rural kids here I would drive truck during the spud harvest. Them potatoes are graded pretty hard and the big perfectly shaped ones came only from the fields with a more sandy type of soil. When the spud harvest ended the sugar beet harvest started up.

Actually over here the biggest ones end up getting processed for French fries, not the smallest ones. Though you generally also see specific breeds being grown for such purposes (related to starch content, ease of processing, growing relatively homogenuous without pits). Sadly those also tend to be really bland.

Oh yes, it does seem that way, most of the potatoes we see at the grocery store are from Oregon. Them big beautiful bakers bring a premium and are mostly sold out of state, and then the smaller ones end up in the local processing plants to make hash browns, french fries ect.

Like most rural kids here I would drive truck during the spud harvest. Them potatoes are graded pretty hard and the big perfectly shaped ones came only from the fields with a more sandy type of soil. When the spud harvest ended the sugar beet harvest started up.
Yep, it's weird. My experiences:

Washington State (right next door to Idaho): Really hard to find Idaho potatoes at all. Only Oregon and Washington potatoes.

Arizona (900 miles by truck from Idaho): You have to look around a bit, but you can find them. Not the large bakers; haven't seen those yet. Just 5 and 10 lb bags of medium-sized ones

New Jersey (2,500 miles by truck from Idaho): Easy to find the large Idaho baking potatoes

Looking for your favorite recipes for sides with steak. Doing a ribeye and a filet. Thinking one potato based side and one veggie based. Grateful for any suggestions!
Baked potato with Caesar Salad (don't forget the anchovies).
That combo is a a steakhouse classic for a reason.

Usually, a great caesar salad, wedge salad, or simple greens and vinaigrette, sauteed greens with garlic, grilled veggies and/or sliced ripe tomatoes and onion. At home we keep it simple, if we're in the mood for carbs...robuchon potatoes, a loaded baked potato, or french fries.

Sides in this pic influenced by the funky Tuscan wine we opened and the season...rib eye with lots of black pepper, maldon salt and olive oil, mushrooms with caramelized onions & tuscan kale, rosemary potatoes, and grilled broccolini with lemon.
IMG_6618.jpeg

Any good suggestions for salads and other 'hot weather foods' that pair well with red meat? Especially if you don't have a BBQ or a grill handy...

My favorite salad for this:
Arugula (Watercress, something peppery)
Lemon (+zest please. Grilled/Browned lemon for fun variation)
Your tastiest Olive Oil
Thinly sliced onion
Shaved parmesan
Black pepper
Flaky salt
(Optional Dijon Mustard. Works with or without, but it does change the vibe of the salad)
(Optional Cherry Tomatoes, if you’re into that sort of thing. Cut in half and browned for variation)

Mix separately for fully emulsified dressing, or loosely mixed in the bowl is great too!

Peppery, and Bright, with a lively Oil.

Yum.

Last edited:
Back