Dishwasher recommendations?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMan

Reaction score
Why does it smell like wet wood in here? Oh sh*t!!! Well, it's that time...

I figured since there are a few stove recommendation threads, that why not ask about people's preferences for dishwashers... I'm sure there's some good collective knowledge.

What dishwashers would you recommend?
Priorities are (1) cleans well and (2) durable. Bells and whistles are not a priority at all. In fact, I would prefer a good value barebones over one with a bunch of fancypants features.

So far, I've got Bosch (Ascenta and 100) and Maytag on the list. I've had very positive experiences with older Maytag stuff--but that was before they were acquired by Whirlpool. Never tried a Bosch, but have heard some people swear by them (though have heard a few strong negative opinions too...).

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm not supposed to pick favorites. But I'm going to pick Gorgonio. Always down for OT, unless it's Sunday. Then occasionally.

Least favorite is Wendy. "Oh, it's going to be busy Friday and Saturday? Let me call-out Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday."

Special shout-out to Angel and Maria from housekeeping though! They helped Friday and Saturday washing dishes.

Wasn't @Kippington looking for a DW gig?

Maytag and Kitchenaid at our house. Frankly there is nothing about the Kitchenaid to warrant the price premium. The Maytag was mu go-to until someone dropped something on the inside of the door while unlading and put a dent in the sheet metal right where the gasket (used to) forms a seal. One of these days I'll try to pull the dent so I can get it back in service.

My previous Miele lasted a little over 20 years. The replacement is also Miele. Quiet, and it works.

Criticism: the newer models have pushed the water and energy saving too far. (These are big selling points in Europe.)
  • The spray pump doesn't run continuously as it did with the old one and turns on and off instead, so save (a minute amount of) electricity. The end result is that the new dishwasher doesn't wash quite as thoroughly as the previous one.
  • The cavity is about 5 cm less in depth than the previous model, even though the external dimensions are identical. That's because there is now a water tank that takes up the rear face of the machine. The water from the last rinse goes in there and is then re-used for the pre-wash of the next cycle. It saves some water, at the cost of losing a bit of space.

I had a Miele, but some circuit board cut out, and it was past the 2 year warranty, and they wanted $700 to replace the board. I bought a whole new dishwasher for less than that (don't remember the brand; this happened as I was selling the house, around 2000). Also I have a 16 quart stockpot and for some reason the dishwasher refused to run with the stockpot in there. The technician explained why it would never work, but I forget the explanation, some sensor thing. Those two experiences put me off Miele dishwashers for life. It's a shame. Their technicians were great.

Fortunately by the time I bought my next dishwasher, Bosch had copied their third rack (a great feature, I agree), so I went with Bosch. Seems to work well, and has no problem with my stockpot.

Siemens-Bosch for me, BTW, often when a circuit board is toast you can find repair shops specializing in microsurgery on circuit boards, same for car ABS modules and ECU's etc. It's a whole industry.

I once revived a Miele washing machine that way, a 2 dollar component gave up and the repair in total came in under 50 or so Euro.

We installed a 44 DBS Bosch. It’s stupid quiet but takes a long time to run. Regular cycle is 3:15. We use the quick wash, called Speed 60, and it takes 2:11.

Dishes come out clean and dry…

Our problem with the Bosch wasn't the length of the cycle (which was pretty long), but we thought the layout of the trays was terrible and many of the wire-coated rack pieces cracked and started rusting. Also, it tended to not deal well with food particles; it just sprayed them around the dishwasher where they would land on dishes and dry there. And then there was its tendency to not dissolve powdered dishwasher detergent. Oh, and there was the recall notice we informed us not to use our dishwasher until the electronic control panel could be replaced because otherwise it might burn our house down...

Our problem with the Bosch wasn't the length of the cycle (which was pretty long), but we thought the layout of the trays was terrible and many of the wire-coated rack pieces cracked and started rusting. Also, it tended to not deal well with food particles; it just sprayed them around the dishwasher where they would land on dishes and dry there. And then there was its tendency to not dissolve powdered dishwasher detergent. Oh, and there was the recall notice we informed us not to use our dishwasher until the electronic control panel could be replaced because otherwise it might burn our house down...
The not being able to flush out any food particles/dried on power is what's killing me on our current one (Maytag). I think we're just too hard on most residential models, and I'm not convinced paying 3-5X what we did for this one is going to make those portions all that much better.

I can choose between cycles of 45 minutes up to several hours (the eco mode), typically use '' auto' which takes about 2 hours.

Read something about longer exposure to the lye being bad for stuff, never thought of that...

Had an Asko for about 18 years that finally died - my wife celebrated because she hated how loud it was. Got a Bosch and love it so far, but only had it for about 1.5 years so far. It's very quiet (a high priority since our house is open floorpan and we like to watch tv while the DW is running) and cleans well.

I agree that the Euro appliance makers (both DW and washing machines) have gone just a tad overboard with water savings. Like an extra half gallon of water per day or every other day is some huge red line not to cross.

Should add, I am not a fan of having all the controls on the top of the door. Cleaner look but I want to be able to see time remaining etc.

We wanted to avoid the hidden controls, too. We did find a KitchenAid with an front-mounted control panel, but there are not many available with those kind of controls, regardless of brand.

Should add, I am not a fan of having all the controls on the top of the door. Cleaner look but I want to be able to see time remaining etc.

I prefer that as well but at the time I needed a Bosch I scored the last higher-end model in a 100 mile radius so beggars can’t be choosers (and no Miele available at all, that was my 2nd choice) 🤣 It shines a little laser light on the floor to indicate that it’s running since there’s no front display. Definitely appreciate the 3rd rack and getting good use out of it.

Covid supply chain woes… thank god things have been easing up slowly but steadily. @McMan might want to make sure his choices are available as things might still be tight.

It’s not in your budget but the Miele with the interior lights is the way to go.

I can choose between cycles of 45 minutes up to several hours (the eco mode), typically use '' auto' which takes about 2 hours.

Read something about longer exposure to the lye being bad for stuff, never thought of that...
Yeah Demeyere actually said that shorter hotter cycles were preferable for longevity of your stuff.
But power consumption is always higher on the shorter cycles (BSH lists the different avlues for each mode in the manual somewhere). Power consumption is IMO the only relevant part; considering the low cost of water whether the thing uses a liter more or less is rather irrelevant even over the full lifecycle of the product... but the power cost adds up quite a bit.

Bosch / BSH tends to come out on top when it comes to reliability comparisons for dishwashers... but Miele is in the same ballpark.

actually, with where we are going with renewable energy I don't care about power usage...lately the thing runs on the solar energy we produce that otherwise goes to 'economical waste'

Back