Daily Knife Pics. Any Knife. Join In!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been working on my Mazaki KU gyuto for the past week or so. Thinned & polished (polish still WIP), sanded spine and choil, and installed a new cedar handle. Great value out of the box and I love the profile but thought a little TLC and a new handle would take it up another level.

IMG_6077.jpeg

IMG_6079.jpeg

IMG_6080.jpeg

I've resolved to stop pining for those knife makers that I'm having a hard time getting when there are a lot of amazing makers who are willing to sell their knives to me. I'll just collect more of their knives.
My Shihans in (L-R) A2, 52100 and Aogami 2 steel.
View attachment 315665
I had to look up “shihan telegraph”.
I think I’m in love.

Love the cedar handle! Is it a Taihei?
It’s actually from JNS. I don’t see it on the site anymore but it’s yakusugi cedar and was a bit longer and wider than taihei which I thought would fit the maz well. It came with a high grit shiny finish that I sanded down. This is with 800 grit finish and some beeswax/mineral oil applied. Lovely wood and my first cedar handle but could see it becoming a fav. The feel and the smell are amazing.
If the original was one of those walnut ferrule travesties the. You definitely kicked it up a notch!

Indeed it was! That thing had to go ✌️

After many months of life just getting in the way, I've managed to get a handle on this @MSicardCutlery AEB-L blade. I'd been indecisive about what I'd wanted to do, and decided to try this handle @JoBone had made for me (for a HD2) a few years ago. I think it fits together pretty nicely.

Now to get the blade sharpened up for use.
20240428_163729.jpg

Last edited:
After many months of life just getting in the way, I've managed to get a handle on the @MSicardCutlery AEB-L blade. I'd been indecisive about what I'd wanted to do, and decided to try this handle @JoBone had made for me (for a HD2) a few years ago. I think it fits together pretty nicely.

View attachment 318187
Perfect elegant blade

After many months of life just getting in the way, I've managed to get a handle on this @MSicardCutlery AEB-L blade. I'd been indecisive about what I'd wanted to do, and decided to try this handle @JoBone had made for me (for a HD2) a few years ago. I think it fits together pretty nicely.

View attachment 318187
Nice combo

I've resolved to stop pining for those knife makers that I'm having a hard time getting when there are a lot of amazing makers who are willing to sell their knives to me. I'll just collect more of their knives.
My Shihans in (L-R) A2, 52100 and Aogami 2 steel.
View attachment 315665
All three are beauts. How do the A2 and 52100 stack up to one another? Outside of steel are there any differences in the grind or are they pretty identical?

All three are beauts. How do the A2 and 52100 stack up to one another? Outside of steel are there any differences in the grind or are they pretty identical?
The A2 is a tall workhorse and the 52100 is midweight. Hard to compare the performance as each have their specialties. Slightly better food release for the A2 workhorse. The board feel as the A2 falls through produce is with a satisfying thud, while the 52100 is quieter and efficient. Will have to use it regularly to be able to compare edge retention. I think I will be picking up the 52100 more often as it’s more well- rounded for what I cook at home.

Last edited:
I used to think people are generally nice. That was before I started drilling my handle.

Pure evil does exist. They love to watch people suffer, and let the world burns. Otherwise why the F would anyone put metal lining all around the inside of a wa handle?!

Been drilling for the whole afternoon and burnt my drill bit to finally get the tang hole wide enough. Grrrrrrr still got another one to do!

20240502_213356.JPG

Last edited:
Back