Customers with the worst knives - Museum of Horrors

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what a knife I'm working on at the moment
IMG20230815121402.jpg
IMG20230815121406.jpg

The knife was quite bent and it had a twist too! (I'll post some more pics tomorrow)

@bsfsu what is the game plan for this project doctor!? 🙂
I hammered it till it was straight then did a major thin on it. It's pretty much a zero grind now but I put a little koba on it and scored a 40 BESS. I'm just playing with the finish on it now.

Attachments

• IMG20230817143852.jpg
    IMG20230817143852.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG20230817144048.jpg
    IMG20230817144048.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
I see a lot of badly chipped and mangled knives, but here's one someone brought in on Friday (so I haven't got round to yet) but it's a bit different, and something I don't think I've seen before...

This looks like a stainless clad san mai knife, that someone's then left in bucket of water for a year or three. And it's just completely corroded away the core steel for much of the edge, leaving the cladding intact. You can't really tell from the pics below but it also caused some delamination up at the tip, so the corrosion of the core steel probably goes even further up than you can see atm. I have literally no idea how much of this knife will be left at the end.

View attachment 261829

View attachment 261832

Ah feck it, why not. Let’s see what we can do...

View attachment 262527

View attachment 262529

Oh I forgot to post the results here. Back to front, including sharpening, these probably only took about 15 mins each. The gnarliest-looking knives are not generally the most time consuming to repair.

IMG-0034.jpg

IMG-0028.jpg

Oh I forgot to post the results here. Back to front, including sharpening, these probably only took about 15 mins each. The gnarliest-looking knives are not generally the most time consuming to repair.

View attachment 263780

View attachment 263779

Hey, great job!!

tenor.gif

(To the doctor. Can barely tell where he sewed it back on.)

(Great job on the knives too!)

View attachment 263780
Lovely work on both. Looks like the core ended up being ok behind the cladding on this first one?

Certainly not the worst I've seen. Some flat spots on the edge from bad sharpening, and the handle came off.View attachment 270768

Edit: oops forgot to add the photo
It's indeed a not so good looking blade! I really like that splinter factory on the handle 👌

Certainly not the worst I've seen. Some flat spots on the edge from bad sharpening, and the handle came off.View attachment 270768

Edit: oops forgot to add the photo
Here's the result of my rework on the knife from my friend. Reprofiled the blade to fix the long flat spot, thinned behind the edge, a quick cleanup of the scratches, and a new burnt oak handle to replace the original plastic ferrule ho one. Hopefully it will continue to get good use for years to come.

PXL_20230927_004443058~2.jpg

Here's the result of my rework on the knife from my friend. Reprofiled the blade to fix the long flat spot, thinned behind the edge, a quick cleanup of the scratches, and a new burnt oak handle to replace the original plastic ferrule ho one. Hopefully it will continue to get good use for years to come.

View attachment 271697

Great job! 👍

Back