Convexed stone, is it a problem?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikaelsan

Reaction score
Hello, so I got this new cheap koppa, and quickly upon inspecting it I realized there stone is convexed at the direction of the length of the stone.

The thing is I seem to recall some polishers utilizing stones they are intentionally convexed, so I was just wondering if it's a bad thing per se, or if you have an opinion about it?

I intend to use it for sharpening as well as a little polishing, have only tested it for polishing so far, and it did not feel like an issue there, not yet at least.

Anyhow it is small and thin so I want to mount it to something asap, which is why I'm asking for a second opinion before extensive testing.

The backside it pretty flat, Which I could use instead of going through an extensive lapping, I would just prefer to use the intended side of the stone of possible, preferably with minimal loss.

I'm a very impatient man, so I already decided which side to use and mounted it. :) Hope I don't regret it, but eh it was cheap.
I was more just curious about whether you guys had any experience with convexed stones. And I need to decide whether to flatten it or not at some point to.
IMG_20171007_160845330_HDR.jpg

IMG_20171006_172844987.jpg

HM photobucket..
http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/bendz0r/IMG_20171006_172844987.jpg

http://i450.photobucket.com/albums/qq225/bendz0r/IMG_20171007_160845330_HDR.jpg

It's not as extreme as the angle makes it look like

Can't see the photo due to my crappy cell phone, so take my comment with a grain of salt. Normally we camfer the stone's edges -- and especially the corner areas. It avoids alot of scratched faces. But the greatest surface should indeed be plane. Very little effort with an Atoma 140.

That may have been the intention from whoever cut the stone, it was a continuous curve throughout the stone though. I left some of it for now, I I did not find it to be a disadvantage in polishing at least

Back