A Bread Thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dark rye taken dark, new job has slowed my bread production. Might actually need to learn to use a stand mixer.
20240423_130928.JPG

solid adds, a shame about the level of doneness, but who am I to judge anyway. Enjoy that wonderful form of gluten

Well, the bread was a bust with her anyway. I think the cracked rye taste was too strong? Idk. Tasted great to me and my 9 yr old, but she had one bite and put it down. Oh well.

Well, the bread was a bust with her anyway. I think the cracked rye taste was too strong? Idk. Tasted great to me and my 9 yr old, but she had one bite and put it down. Oh well.
There’s nothing the most brutal food critic could ever possibly write that stings more than when I cook something for my girlfriend and her review is only ‘it’s okay’.

It’s good to get some honest feedback for recipe development though. Onwards and upwards!

There’s nothing the most brutal food critic could ever possibly write that stings more than when I cook something for my girlfriend and her review is only ‘it’s okay’.

It’s good to get some honest feedback for recipe development though. Onwards and upwards!
If my son was on Chopped, one person every show would walk out without cooking after seeing he was up there.

Been trying to work on ways to continue making bread on my work weeks. The idea is to build as much gluten as possible in the beginning and then bulk for roughly 12hrs, quick divide and preshape, final shape and into the fridge before baking the next day. This has lead me to using a stand mixer for the first time for bread, and honestly, not a huge fan. Below are my first attempts, first does not have mixing times because I neglected to time them or write them down.

800g bread flour
600g water
140g Starter
20g salt

mixed and then sat at room temp for approx 12.5hrs, 10 min bench rest after divide and preshape, 10hrs in the fridge before baking at 265c
20240513_125053.JPG
20240513_132543.JPG

600g bread flour
200g whole wheat flour
600g water
130g starter
20g salt

mixed at speed 3 (on a KA pro something or other) for 5min, speed 6 for 8min, room temp for 13.5hrs, 10 min bench rest after divide and preshape, 10hrs in the fridge before baking at 265c
20240514_142242.JPG
20240514_230508.JPG

underproofed? undermixed? more trials needed it seems.

Been trying to work on ways to continue making bread on my work weeks. The idea is to build as much gluten as possible in the beginning and then bulk for roughly 12hrs, quick divide and preshape, final shape and into the fridge before baking the next day. This has lead me to using a stand mixer for the first time for bread, and honestly, not a huge fan. Below are my first attempts, first does not have mixing times because I neglected to time them or write them down.

800g bread flour
600g water
140g Starter
20g salt

mixed and then sat at room temp for approx 12.5hrs, 10 min bench rest after divide and preshape, 10hrs in the fridge before baking at 265c
View attachment 321587View attachment 321588

600g bread flour
200g whole wheat flour
600g water
130g starter
20g salt

mixed at speed 3 (on a KA pro something or other) for 5min, speed 6 for 8min, room temp for 13.5hrs, 10 min bench rest after divide and preshape, 10hrs in the fridge before baking at 265c
View attachment 321589View attachment 321590

I’ve been doing the same recently and your results look better than mine! It’s not very enjoyable moving to a stand mixer after mixing by hand previously; I never realised just how much I was judging things by feel.

Your bulk ferment time sounds quite long for the amount of starter you’re using - what’s your ambient kitchen temp?

With such a long bulk fermentation time and looking at the crumb, I’d guess it’s probably a little overproofed. I’d expect the holes to be uniformly larger. The rise on both is really good though, which I would interpret as meaning you did a good job strengthening the dough.

Sometimes I deliberately overproof my loaves a bit so it’s a little more densely packed and with fewer holes - makes for a stronger flavour and better utility for sandwiches/toast etc!

For my update, I’ve only recently started to dive into the quite technical side of bread, and it has been rather humbling as a reasonably experience baker!

In my attempts to achieve a super tender crumb and thin, shattery crust I have been experimenting with using much lower proportions of very strong white bread flour and subbing it for lower protein alternatives, whilst also pushing hydration percentages.

Getting the dough strong enough is challenging, as is judging when the bulk ferment is complete - the dough is just too slack to rely on some of the visual cues I’m used to.

Today’s attempt at 85% hydration had a beautifully soft and tender crumb that contrasted with a super thin crust, but I did a poor job strengthening the dough up front - hence the sorry looking oven spring and lack of ear.

I got lazy and dumped all my water in without building strength at a lower hydration first.

Despite tightly controlling temps to help predict bulk fermentation timings, it also looks like I underproofed this batch, but welcome thoughts!

800g bread flour
600g water
140g Starter
20g salt

View attachment 321587View attachment 321588

600g bread flour
200g whole wheat flour
600g water
130g starter
20g salt

View attachment 321589View attachment 321590

You didn’t mention- Have you tried a preferment plus autolyse before the main mix? The longest autolyse I’ve ever done is around four hours; but it could probably done overnight (in the refrigerator if necessary) at the same time the preferment was feeding itself at room temperature. This assumes you’re mixing in the A.M.

You didn’t mention- Have you tried a preferment plus autolyse before the main mix? The longest autolyse I’ve ever done is around four hours; but it could probably done overnight (in the refrigerator if necessary) at the same time the preferment was feeding itself at room temperature. This assumes you’re mixing in the A.M.
I’ve been doing the same recently and your results look better than mine! It’s not very enjoyable moving to a stand mixer after mixing by hand previously; I never realised just how much I was judging things by feel.

Your bulk ferment time sounds quite long for the amount of starter you’re using - what’s your ambient kitchen temp?

With such a long bulk fermentation time and looking at the crumb, I’d guess it’s probably a little overproofed. I’d expect the holes to be uniformly larger. The rise on both is really good though, which I would interpret as meaning you did a good job strengthening the dough.

Sometimes I deliberately overproof my loaves a bit so it’s a little more densely packed and with fewer holes - makes for a stronger flavour and better utility for sandwiches/toast etc!
My kitchen hovers around 19c for the majority of the bulk, dipping to 18 for the last 4-5hrs. Autolyse is not possible with my schedule unfortunately, and its not something I've been fond of in the past either. I'll probably drop my starter down to compensate for the long bulk times and see where that brings me.

Has anyone made pan de cristal with sourdough starter? If so, care to share a recipe?

IMG_8830.jpeg

you want to scale this. its with 3 preferments and not simply sourdough starter

cp pan de cristal

BIGA:

150 (50) gr. Bread flour

52.5 (18) gr. Water
1 gr. (.33) Dry yeast

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Cover the bowl and let it rest for 12-14 hours in RT (18-20 degrees).

POOLISH:

200 (66) gr. Bread flour

200 (66) gr. Water
1 (.33) gr. Dry yeast

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Cover the bowl and let it rest for 10-12 hours in RT (18-20 degrees). Af- ter the fermentation time put the dough for 2-3 hours into the fridge (4 degrees Celsius)

LEVAIN:

100 (33.33) gr. Bread flour

100 (33.33) gr. Water
10 (3.33) gr. Starter

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Cover the bowl and let it rest for 10-12 hours in RT (18-20 degrees). Af- ter the fermentation time put the dough for 2-3 hours into the fridge (4 degrees Celsius)

SEMOLINA BIGA:

200 (66.66) gr. Semolina remacinata

130 (43.33) gr. Water
1 (.33) gr. Dry yeast

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Cover the bowl and let it rest for 3 hours in RT (22-24 degrees). After the fermentation time put the dough for 2-3 hours into the fridge (4 degrees Celsius)

WORKINGSTEPS:

Step 1

Mix the flour with 200 (66.6) gr. of water smooth together and do autolyse for 90 minutes. Cover the bowl during the time.

Step 2

Now add BIGA, POOLISH, LEVAIN and SEMOLINA BIGA to the autolyze dough. Mix 5 minutes slow speed, then 6-8 minutes high speed.

Step 3

Let the dough rest again 15-20 minutes.

Step 4

Add now 200 (66.6) gr. of water and the 8.33g salt.
Mix 1-2 minutes slow then fast until the gluten structure is full developed again.

Step 5

Let the dough again rest 15-20 minutes.

Step 6

Add the remaining water and mix 1 minute slow, then again until the gluten structure get well developed. Look that the dough don’t stick anymore to the bowl.

Step 7

Finally add the 8.33g olive oil mixing 1 minute slow, 1 minute fast.

Step 8

Transfer the dough to a plastic container and start a 3-4 hours BULK FERMENTATION. During the BULK FERMENTATION do 3 stretch and fold, always after 30 minutes.

Step 9

The dough need to triple his size. Mostly in the final part of fermentation you see upcoming gas bubbles, that’s the detail to know the dough is ready for sha- ping.

Step 10

Dust the top of the dough in the plastic container (with flour, semolina or parmesan cheese), dust the working table and flip the dough on the table, very CAREFULLY!

Step 11

Paint your scraper with oil on both side before cut- ting the dough. Always when you cut move careful- ly the dough and dust the cutting part with flour. (when the dough stick again together and you move the pieces from the table, the sticky part can make damage to the structure).

Step 12

Cut similar pieces out of the dough, maybe between 150-200 gr. transfer to a trail with wax paper.

Step 13

Final proofing is at least 90 – 120 minutes. (don’t be scared taking this time. For my experience 90 minu- tes is a MUST). During the cutting part of the dough, take out some little dough pieces, store them separa- tely. Before baking the bread, put this small pieces in the oven, bake them half time, take out and cut them in the middle, directly hot. When you look at the crumb you can analyze in which stage is the fermen- tation from your bread. Here comes the decision, you bake or you wait.
IMG_9487.jpeg

Usually I bake very hot from the bottom. The tem- perature is at least 265-280 degrees celsius on the bottom. 235-240 degrees celsisus on the top. After entering the bread go down directly to 245 degrees on the bottom and 230 degrees on the top for about 22-25 minutes depending on the size of the bread. Using steam can be used for the color, for the bread is not very necessary.

View attachment 321764
you want to scale this. its with 3 preferments and not simply sourdough starter

cp pan de cristal

BIGA:

150 (50) gr. Bread flour

52.5 (18) gr. Water
1 gr. (.33) Dry yeast

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Cover the bowl and let it rest for 12-14 hours in RT (18-20 degrees).

POOLISH:

200 (66) gr. Bread flour

200 (66) gr. Water
1 (.33) gr. Dry yeast

LEVAIN:

100 (33.33) gr. Bread flour

100 (33.33) gr. Water
10 (3.33) gr. Starter

SEMOLINA BIGA:

200 (66.66) gr. Semolina remacinata

130 (43.33) gr. Water
1 (.33) gr. Dry yeast

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Cover the bowl and let it rest for 3 hours in RT (22-24 degrees). After the fermentation time put the dough for 2-3 hours into the fridge (4 degrees Celsius)

WORKINGSTEPS:

Step 1

Mix the flour with 200 (66.6) gr. of water smooth together and do autolyse for 90 minutes. Cover the bowl during the time.

Step 2

Now add BIGA, POOLISH, LEVAIN and SEMOLINA BIGA to the autolyze dough. Mix 5 minutes slow speed, then 6-8 minutes high speed.

Step 3

Let the dough rest again 15-20 minutes.

Step 4

Add now 200 (66.6) gr. of water and the 8.33g salt.
Mix 1-2 minutes slow then fast until the gluten structure is full developed again.

Step 5

Let the dough again rest 15-20 minutes.

Step 6

Add the remaining water and mix 1 minute slow, then again until the gluten structure get well developed. Look that the dough don’t stick anymore to the bowl.

Step 7

Finally add the 8.33g olive oil mixing 1 minute slow, 1 minute fast.

Step 8

Transfer the dough to a plastic container and start a 3-4 hours BULK FERMENTATION. During the BULK FERMENTATION do 3 stretch and fold, always after 30 minutes.

Step 9

The dough need to triple his size. Mostly in the final part of fermentation you see upcoming gas bubbles, that’s the detail to know the dough is ready for sha- ping.

Step 10

Dust the top of the dough in the plastic container (with flour, semolina or parmesan cheese), dust the working table and flip the dough on the table, very CAREFULLY!

Step 11

Paint your scraper with oil on both side before cut- ting the dough. Always when you cut move careful- ly the dough and dust the cutting part with flour. (when the dough stick again together and you move the pieces from the table, the sticky part can make damage to the structure).

Step 12

Cut similar pieces out of the dough, maybe between 150-200 gr. transfer to a trail with wax paper.

Step 13

Final proofing is at least 90 – 120 minutes. (don’t be scared taking this time. For my experience 90 minu- tes is a MUST). During the cutting part of the dough, take out some little dough pieces, store them separa- tely. Before baking the bread, put this small pieces in the oven, bake them half time, take out and cut them in the middle, directly hot. When you look at the crumb you can analyze in which stage is the fermen- tation from your bread. Here comes the decision, you bake or you wait.
View attachment 321763
Usually I bake very hot from the bottom. The tem- perature is at least 265-280 degrees celsius on the bottom. 235-240 degrees celsisus on the top. After entering the bread go down directly to 245 degrees on the bottom and 230 degrees on the top for about 22-25 minutes depending on the size of the bread. Using steam can be used for the color, for the bread is not very necessary.
Whoa….4 preferments!? I mean this would have to be the best bread ever.

I just made lazy sourdough. It’s maybe not the recipe for me. 😂

My kitchen hovers around 19c for the majority of the bulk, dipping to 18 for the last 4-5hrs. Autolyse is not possible with my schedule unfortunately, and its not something I've been fond of in the past either. I'll probably drop my starter down to compensate for the long bulk times and see where that brings me.
Yeah, autolyse might be more for higher whole grain than yours appears.

Back