Which carry on Suitcase?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SharpestToolintheShed

Reaction score
Rimowa-Story-_-1.jpg
I’m looking to spoil myself with a really nice carry on sized suitcase. I hope to travel more this year and in the future. As I hit 50, I realize I want to get some of the nice things in life.

I currently use the Samsonite Framelock
1714055392667.jpeg

It’s not a terrible suitcase. Feels. Bit small and lacks pockets and features.
Top of my list for a new suitcase is the Briggs & Riley Baseline.

1714055775250.jpeg

It has all the features I want and I love the depth of the main section. Dislike the ballistic nylon - can’t put stickers. I’m a sticker fiend.
The Torq has less features but it is gorgeous
1714055926868.jpeg

My dream looker is the Rimowa but it has next to no features for 2x the price as any other suitcase. I wouldn’t mind paying that much if it had functionality and was lightweight but nope. Crappy compression panels and 10 lbs empty.

1714056227253.png

TUMI doesn’t have anything I want for the money. July, Monos, Away are just too pedestrian.

What do you fine fancy folks use for travel?

Rimowa-Story-_-1.jpg
I’m looking to spoil myself with a really nice carry on sized suitcase. I hope to travel more this year and in the future. As I hit 50, I realize I want to get some of the nice things in life.

I currently use the Samsonite Framelock
View attachment 317422
It’s not a terrible suitcase. Feels. Bit small and lacks pockets and features.
Top of my list for a new suitcase is the Briggs & Riley Baseline.

View attachment 317429
It has all the features I want and I love the depth of the main section. Dislike the ballistic nylon - can’t put stickers. I’m a sticker fiend.
The Torq has less features but it is gorgeous
View attachment 317430

My dream looker is the Rimowa but it has next to no features for 2x the price as any other suitcase. I wouldn’t mind paying that much if it had functionality and was lightweight but nope. Crappy compression panels and 10 lbs empty.

View attachment 317431
TUMI doesn’t have anything I want for the money. July, Monos, Away are just too pedestrian.

What do you fine fancy folks use for travel?
Rimowa....well someone has to pay for all those celebrity sports personality endorsements.

Personally I found a Tumi on Ebay for $150 and never looked back.

Last edited:
I generally go with the buy cheap replace often in the US.... had some nice ones that still got obliterated by TSA...

Wheels are the weakpoint.... anything that sticks out a too much will bet obliterated.

smallest, lightest one with 4 wheels you can get by with. Airlines keep changing maximum sizes on carry on. I use a small carry on and a backpack and dont check luggage..

How does that happen when the bag is carryon? Thats what we're talking about here.

It definitely happens... just because you want it to be carry on doesn't mean airline agrees / runs out of room / gets caught in one of the machines to check your bag etc.. etc...

I've found only fool proof way is to carry duffel bag and not let TSA handle.

How does that happen when the bag is carryon? Thats what we're talking about here.

Also airport busses / getting caught in some air train gap....

I've never checked bags in 20+ years, wife was a consultant for 10+ years that traveled weekly. We've come to believe no such thing as long term when it comes to travel suitcases.

the airport will find a way to destroy it.

As a frequent flyer, I absolutely despise all the people who insist on getting the biggest carry-on that an airline will allow (despite there not being enough space on the plane for everyone to use one of these) instead of using check-in luggage like a normal person. Unless I get on the plane among the first few passengers, I then find that there is no more room anywhere for my laptop bag.

Old Rimowa > LVMH Rimowa.

If you want something fancy and aluminum, have a look at Zero Halliburton.
Ah so that’s why Rimowa took a weird turn. Good lord ZH is gorgeous. I like. I just don’t like the dividers. I’m leaning towards one of the B&R. I’ll have to just iron on patches if I can’t have stickers.

Ah so that’s why Rimowa took a weird turn. Good lord ZH is gorgeous. I like. I just don’t like the dividers. I’m leaning towards one of the B&R. I’ll have to just iron on patches if I can’t have stickers.
ZH is so pricey! I really wanted an aluminum for the style, but I just can’t justify the weight. B&R also has great support should you ever need to use it!

ZH is so pricey! I really wanted an aluminum for the style, but I just can’t justify the weight. B&R also has great support should you ever need to use it!
I wanted to buy a $3000 Grand Seiko or a $4000 Tudor. I figured I really didn’t need another watch so my suitcase budget is meh whatever makes me super chuffed. I plan to use it every few weeks for short trips.

I have one of these level8s
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MXDB9FL/ref=twister_B07N2KD2PB?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

regularly on special offer. Certainly the best case I've ever had, not that that is saying much!
oh those are gorgeous....thank you.
I think I'm going to go for the Briggs & Riley because I like the internal organisation system. I'll forgo some looks for those features. But HOTDAMN the Level8 is gorgeous...and without the LVMH tax.

Now, can i justify buying the B&R and the Level8?

I bought a set small and medium, wish I'd bought the large as well. They are really light too.
I have a Large American Tourister and a Medium Delsey. I use the large maybe once a year and the Medium every few months.
the Carry On size I'd use every few weeks. Hence that money being put into the tiny one and the cheap large bag.

I also lean hard into the soft body construction if you have a carryon. Smaller regional jets have the teeny bins, and you can still force your bag to mold. With a hard body...you're shìt outta luck.

Frankly I relish in watching people realize they can't fit their oversized suitcase in the overhead compartment/there's no room and they look back at the line of 20+ people behind them all watching. Schadenfreude is nourishing sometimes.

Last edited:
Back