what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah we are certainly something else. I started off wanting just a simple cutting tool, I got a folding credit card knife and evolved from there. I have different knives for different purposes. I have super good cardboard destroyers, and knives with great actions and fit and finish.

In my circle of edc enthusiasts, most of us just go for knives that do it all. Shirogorov for example are almost all 12 thou bte, with great heat treats, amazing fit and finish AND fun actions. I'm a have it all kind of guy. I love a good action. I love cool finishes and fun materials. But the knife still has to perform well. I don't think I have a folder that doesn't cut well. These days it has to do it all for me, because it's not hard these days to find something that do it all.

Like I have a bardley marias vector right now, one of my favorite carbon fibers, amazing detent, super smooth teflon washer, and great lockup, super thin bte. Popping it open puts a smile on my face, and that counts for a lot to me

Just listen to that thwack and look at that smooth washer action! Man I love knives.

Attachments

• vector.jpeg
    vector.jpeg
    268.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
It is similar to how most people into kitchen knives are more into knives than into cooking, same with polishing, natural stone guys they are more into polishing than into knives.
I should start a thread and see who bites:

“Which nagura should I get to polish my j-nats? I used to own knives but sold them all, now my hobby is flattening whetstones and then using nagura to polish the surface to a mirror shine… I used to be into dorodango you see.”

Alright, back on track. I almost left without sharing my baby today, althought, she isn't in the best shape. This was my unicorn. I don't know, but I always like this knife design, I was smitten by it, and still am. Has this old-school vibe, boy scoutish. IDK. Anyways, It is a Triple Aught Design J.W. Smith Capricorn, forgot the year. Look at the sweet dovetailing of the scales in the 3rd pic. The last pic has a little easter egg with his initials engraved in the front finger choil.

Attachments

• 20240510_160227[1].jpg
    20240510_160227[1].jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240510_160232[1].jpg
    20240510_160232[1].jpg
    1,007.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240510_160237[1].jpg
    20240510_160237[1].jpg
    952.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240510_160254[1].jpg
    20240510_160254[1].jpg
    629 KB · Views: 0
Today, the real estate was a little more expensive in my pocket but want to carry a clipped knife. This is a Prometheus Design Werx frame lock. I don't know the name, but it's got a great Loveless-style clip point blade. PDW's QC is excellent and this knife is very thin while still being quite strong. It has similar design language to the Capricorn posted before as PDWs owner started Triple Aught Design and he had a major hand in designing both. I have another version of this one as well that the ol' lady carries, a 'his & her' if you will.

Attachments

• 20240515_115933[1].jpg
    20240515_115933[1].jpg
  • 20240515_115952[1].jpg
    20240515_115952[1].jpg
    849.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240515_115926[1].jpg
    20240515_115926[1].jpg
  • 20240515_120027[1].jpg
    20240515_120027[1].jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Another one of my favorite EDCs. This is the Prometheus Design Werx Invictus. It is an integral design meaning that the frame is made of one solid piece of CNC'd Titanium. No bolts holding it together. I've had custom integrals from Rassenti and a few others and this honestly has a better tolerances and performance. There's no lock rock (a constant Rassenti problem), no lateral play, and the blade falls effortlessly closed with gravity with all of those great tolerances. They apparently had a hard time finding a manufacturer to meet their tolerances and only had one run of these. It's the same design language and a cousin to the Capricorn I posted the other day.

Kody eutsler duk and dukling, 2 favs
Umm, wow, those are amazing. I knew I had seen that model. Very nice.

Attachments

• 20240517_122428[1].jpg
    20240517_122428[1].jpg
    935.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240517_120826[1].jpg
    20240517_120826[1].jpg
    736.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240517_120858[1].jpg
    20240517_120858[1].jpg
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 0
Kody eutsler duk and dukling, 2 favs
How do they compare to a Sebenza or Shirogorov? I’ve got a small sebenza, and have been debating whether to jump deeper into the folder rabbit hole. The DUK and a shirogorov are both high on my list if I decide to jump, so curious to hear your thoughts. Also considering a large Inkosi, which I assume will be more similar to the Sebenza, but with slightly thicker blade and more contoured handle.

How do they compare to a Sebenza or Shirogorov? I’ve got a small sebenza, and have been debating whether to jump deeper into the folder rabbit hole. The DUK and a shirogorov are both high on my list if I decide to jump, so curious to hear your thoughts. Also considering a large Inkosi, which I assume will be more similar to the Sebenza, but with slightly thicker blade and more contoured handle.
Well the inkosi doesn't have contouring it just have finger grooves. When people speak of contouring in terms of pocket knives usually they mean the handle is convex/rounded.

Duk and shirogorov def much higher up the food chain. Way smoother actions, thinner behind the edges, higher end finishing. Shirogorov will always be my favorite brand, but duks are some of my most carried. Honestly they are hard to compare because they are so different. Shirogorov if you want to try a flipper, duk if you want a really good thumbstud. I probably like my duk better than most production shirogorovs, (mainly because they have a bit more flavor, quality shiro still wins) but for sure a good amount less than my custom divisions and collabs, but they are in much different price ranges.

Well the inkosi doesn't have contouring it just have finger grooves. When people speak of contouring in terms of pocket knives usually they mean the handle is convex/rounded.

Duk and shirogorov def much higher up the food chain. Way smoother actions, thinner behind the edges, higher end finishing. Shirogorov will always be my favorite brand, but duks are some of my most carried. Honestly they are hard to compare because they are so different. Shirogorov if you want to try a flipper, duk if you want a really good thumbstud. I probably like my duk better than most production shirogorovs, (mainly because they have a bit more flavor, quality shiro still wins) but for sure a good amount less than my custom divisions and collabs, but they are in much different price ranges.
Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

I have had a number of Sebenzas over the years and one Shiro. I've had the Inkosi, 31, and 21. Of them all, the 31 was by far my favorite. Had the "contoured" handles but wasn't as stiff as the Inkosi. I had my Inkosi for a decade and the action only got fair.

Shiro's are a definite step or two above CRK but it's hard to compare. The Eutsler are VERY high end, several echelons up.

Pretty sure those are reate right? Every try their terrevantium blade?
My thought would be Reate as the machining feels similar to others I've had from there. I can't be sure though as they shopped this out as a separate build proposal would be my guess.

I have not tried the terrevantium. It certainly sounds interesting but that isn't an itch I need scratched.

Back