Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thinking about grinds yanagiba, Deba used quite a bit at work. Shallow hollow grind on back side edges unsurpassed by most knives. Yanagiba my first. Some cooks had the graton devits near the edge. Back in 1970's used Forschner granton. Carved steamship rounds with that blade at Sheraton Waikiki. Ice carving on double sided buffet table 1000 person banquets.

S grinds I think are relatively recent certainly after millennium. At first didn't like looks of them until kept reading & respected member here like me skeptical was blown away using Dalman at work.

A burger should never have more than 8 components including the bun and patty
I hold a similar belief about pizza, specifically New York style.

There shall be eight permitted toppings, and thou shalt have none other before thee.

Needles to say, neither ham nor bromeliad are on the List.

1715892815346.gif

Last edited:
I hold a similar belief about pizza, specifically New York style.

There shall be eight permitted toppings, and thou shale have none other before thee.

Needles to say, neither ham nor bromeliad are on the List.

View attachment 321910
Why would you not put ham on pizza? It's one of the best things. Especially when it's good ham.

I've never seen anyone do that. Just ketchup sure, but not mustard.
Mustard, onion, nowt else is my favorite way to do up a hot dog (or knack or polish or garlic sausage.)

Costco polish is bangin.
Two favorite mustards are Mautner Markhof Kremser (I grew up with that divine condiment) or Kühne mittelscharf.

Mustard, onion, nowt else is my favorite way to do up a hot dog (or knack or polish or garlic sausage.)

Costco polish is bangin.
Two favorite mustards are Mautner Markhof Kremser (I grew up with that divine condiment) or Kühne mittelscharf.
Yes sausages is a completely different thing.
When I grew up I used to heat up a cheap can/jar of sausages, grab 10 slices of white bread & a jar of mustard, put a lick of mustard on a slice, add sausage, fold, eat and repeat until sausages and bread gone :cool:

Maybe also an unpopular opinion, but I liked Löwensenf.

Yes sausages is a completely different thing.
When I grew up I used to heat up a cheap can/jar of sausages, grab 10 slices of white bread & a jar of mustard, put a lick of mustard on a slice, add sausage, fold, eat and repeat until sausages and bread gone :cool:

I’ve had Löwensenf side-by-side with Kühne. I like the latter that small bit more.

Another first-rate deli mustard imo is Mautner Markhof Estragon.

The Whole Beast…
Very close, but it’s the original Nose to Tail.

The head chef at the restaurant I worked at whilst I was at university gifted it to me late one night whilst we were drinking at the bar after closing.

It’s signed by Fergus and perhaps one of my most treasured possessions.

I’ve had Löwensenf side-by-side with Kühne. I like the latter that small bit more.

Another first-rate deli mustard imo is Mautner Markhof Estragon.
I've had Kühne a lot as well, that Maille and Thomy.

Never had Markhof, will give it a try when I run into it somewhere when in Germany.

New York pizza is a special case. If you put so many toppings on it that you can't taste the oil, you've ruined it. There should be a certain amount of guilt associated with any toppings at all. You can have them, sure, but you should feel a little bad about it. Of course basil, added just after it comes out of the oven, does not count.

My burger world has been turned upside-down by some patties carried by, of all things, a local seafood store. It's run by a food nut with very good sensibilities. For example, he started carrying Buerre d'Isigny when Whole Foods stopped carrying it, after the Amazon acquisition.

These patties are about 1/3 lb each, and consist of 1/4 wagyu, 1/4 elk. 1/4 wild boar, and 1/4 -- I forget. Anyway, they are so tasty that I have not yet seen fit to add anything to them except salt. No bun, no hot sauce (I prefer it to ketchup), nothing.

It’s possible she never had it prepared well. Like the aforementioned gizzards, prep skill might be make or break.
Gizzards can be a delight, or a rubbery nightmare. Trick is to cook them in broth for an hour or two, dry them, season them, and then put them on the grill. They are both crispy and tender that way, and absolutely delicious. Very low-fat and tasty meat.

Same here. But it seems that it isn't as hot anymore as it used to be 40 or 50 years ago. Either that, or my tastebuds are worn out these days. For a hotter mustard, try English hot mustard, which has quite some kick.

I've never tried any of the chilli/wasabi/mustard combinations that are supposed to be really hot. Anyone care to recommend one of those?

Today’s unpopular opinion, and it’s not even about food!

I prefer the honest stench of a decent cigar to the thin acrid reek of cigarettes.

(I am peculiarly sensitive to cigarette smoke. I can be driving behind someone on the freeway, at a lawful standoff, windows closed on both cars … and if that person is smoking, I’ll know.)

Today’s unpopular opinion, and it’s not even about food!

I prefer the honest stench of a decent cigar to the thin acrid reek of cigarettes.

(I am peculiarly sensitive to cigarette smoke. I can be driving behind someone on the freeway, at a lawful standoff, windows closed on both cars … and if that person is smoking, I’ll know.)
Cigarette smoke bugs me too. I used to smoke, now the smell grosses me out!

other than religion?
Ham is not my fav’rite thing.
Purely subjective.

edited because haiku
I see that this could be misconstrued. I don’t do kosher etc.

Nay — verily, I say unto thee:
(devout New York pizza bloviations)
worlds without end (but conspicuously devoid of bromeliad), ahh man.

We now return you to your regular programming.

Same here. But it seems that it isn't as hot anymore as it used to be 40 or 50 years ago. Either that, or my tastebuds are worn out these days. For a hotter mustard, try English hot mustard, which has quite some kick.

I've never tried any of the chilli/wasabi/mustard combinations that are supposed to be really hot. Anyone care to recommend one of those?
supposedly a belgian mustard maker Tierenteyn(-Verlent, not the Ferdinand Tierenteyn) makes great stuff, yet have to try it still...
Mautner, yes!
Love Löwensenf, and indeed it seems less sharp to me also yet my taste buds have aged as well...yet I suspect the flavors are adjusted to a diet with less fat and tastebuds more accustomed to sweet...

BUt DIY mustard is fairly easy, the sharpness is from fresh ground mustard seeds, and the vinegar (the higher in acidity the stronger the final product)

Even Maille (used to be Grey-Poupon) was hotter, I suspect the vinegar is less strong.

sauce with sauce never appealed to me. why mix several sauces? don’t **** with my mustard or mayo. why would i (if at all) want ketchup on my mayo, or even mustard?

i’ve met people who think a salad consists of a dressing soup with some leaves in it. these are the same people who can’t fathom a burger without five saucy things splashed all over it.

why hide the food behind powerful condiment(s), as long as the food is already good?

a great burger does not depend on condiments. (but it can be part of it.)

the minetta burger is really good, but obviously too pricey. when i had it the dollar was really weak though …

Back