Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best results after reducing a gallon of water to approx a quart. Water reductions will be the next hipster food trend...
I thought the point was to reduce it down to almost dry, and then dilute to the original volume. That way you can get the magnesium to caramelize a little bit.

Isn't that what we hear every year about almost every crop? By now I'm almost convinced it's a setup for the commodity market to hitch prices up....get me my tin foil hat, it's a conspiracy!

later in the season the crop is not so bad at all and prices drop...

Eh, 4-5 years ago they said the same thing about vanilla. Then there actually were some massive hits to the harvest, and vanilla bean prices actually started costing a few bucks a piece (which made the recipes talking about scraping a bean in, feel hilariously out of touch when the synthetic stuff has been shown in testing to be essentially indistinguishable from the real thing in everything out side of cold and raw applications). If vanilla is the star, the splurge makes sense but if it’s a supporting actor or getting hit by heat you’re losing the nuance of the real stuff anyways.

And hey, I may have been banned from counts to a million due to wrongthinktm, but at least I have snickers coffee now (it’s gonna taste like snickers specifically and not just nuts or chocolate right? Right?? 😂)

Attachments

• IMG_5878.jpeg
    IMG_5878.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
well , vanilla is grown in several regions, so is coffee...so even when say Madagascar vanilla takes a hit there is more from other places...same happened with cocoa beans recently.

Coffee knows two high level types, Arabica and Robusta (with that nice burnt tire taste you are familiar with from the cheapest coffee around) and those are not requiring the same growing conditions, but more importantly...it's grown in Brazil, Equador, Costa Rica, Mexico, Panama, Honduras, Guatemala, Kenya, Ethiopia, Yemen, India, etc etc etc....

While Brazil is a main producer the crop is spread over quite an area, perhaps the charbucks staple crop costing 1 dollar per kilo as green may be in shorter supply it would highly surprise me if enough 'specialty' coffee (>80points) is in any danger to impact prices a lot. Specialty coffee is about 1% of all coffee, the stuff I usually buy is 85 points or higher, which makes it an even lower percentage of total crop. No way companies like Nestle or Charbucks will be buying specialty grade coffee...it's about ten times more expensive than the stuff they normally buy.

It's very hard to find decent stuff, and relatively expensive if you do find it.
So my guess would be 'unpopular'.

How popular is decaf among coffee nerds? Out of an aversion to caffeine, I've never drunk coffee. Except for that one time I mistook it for hot chocolate.
I had to drink it on and off over the past year when I couldn’t have caffeine for medical reasons.

My experience has been… mixed.

Fundamentally my view of the problem is that there’s not enough effort being put in to produce good decaf offerings across the board. It’s a shame, because I think it could be a lot better if roasters cared more, but obviously they won’t if there’s not enough consumer demand.

Most of the really good roasters I was buying caffeinated coffee from only have one decaf option, which gets rotated once every blue moon. Meanwhile they will sell multiple caffeinated bean options, which get changed up at least once a month. Within that, a lot of those decaf offerings I tried were super bland and had boring flavour notes.

Square Mile makes the best decaf coffee from the UK roasters I tried by a country mile (and I tried a lot). It actually had some winey, fruity, third wave flavours beyond ‘coffee, chocolate, nuts’.

They still only had that one option though, and most frustratingly, they have no subscription service for decaf, so you either have to order a bag every single time and pay postage, or buy a large bag and decant it into freezer bags yourself.

I’m back on caffeine now and I am pretty relieved about it!

Why all the hate towards nerds—it seems to arise in those, when others have interest other than their own, interests they don’t understand. Was on the subway the other day near two dudes having a half hour argument about the NFL draft—now that’s quintessential nerd talk.

I prefer the term ‘connoisseurship.’ All good, everyone has their passions.

How popular is decaf among coffee nerds? Out of an aversion to caffeine, I've never drunk coffee. Except for that one time I mistook it for hot chocolate.

About as popular as non-alcoholic beer in a biker bar or CBD weed in an Amsterdam coffee house. Like it might exist , but the exception proves the rule.

Why all the hate towards nerds—it seems to arise in those, when others have interest other than their own, interests they don’t understand. Was on the subway the other day near two dudes having a half hour argument about the NFL draft—now that’s quintessential nerd talk.

I've become accustomed to folks using "nerd" in an endearing manner. It depends on who uses it and how, I guess.
For example, and I quote, "Thank youuuu ❤️ ❤️ dunno what i would do without my nerds"

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll have to try out Square Mile and Columbia Rainbow sometime. I happen to have a gooseneck kettle so I may as well try and put it to use.

What do you all usually spend on beans? I’ve always got them from Whole Foods and the like for $10-$12/lb. Looking at good local roasters they are more like $20-$25/lb. Finding it hard to justify paying twice the price.
That's just what it costs to fund much better quality coffee via a transparent supply chain that isn't massively exploiting the people growing the coffee (as much as the big brands anyway) unfortunately.

It's around £11 for a good 250g bag in the UK these days.

For small bags, that seems about right from what I’ve seen. If you subscribe, buy larger bags (5 pound range) and aren’t going to the extremely light roast cult coffee of the season, I think it gets down to around 16-18/lb region.

Can’t tell you if it’s worth it. Tried 5 beans from 3 roasters now. The stuff I used to get was Peet’s Dickinsons or ALDIs Peruvian back when I was mainly doing sous vide or feeding the bonavita and just starting to break in the 9barista. ALDIs house brand specifically was probably in the 10ish/lb range. I will say, the coffee then was never exceptional, but it was generally never terrible either. The most interesting and the worst coffee I’ve had has come from these expensive beans, and frankly it seems to be down to the quality of the roaster (bigger picture bean quality I’m sure, but issues with the roast are pretty obvious when you spray beans in front of you). I’ve had some view changing shots from the more expensive stuff, and I’ve had a few shots that almost made me vomit to take more than a sip of. It’s very hit or miss, but once you find a roaster you like the subscribe + large order definitely can push the price down.

What do you all usually spend on beans? I’ve always got them from Whole Foods and the like for $10-$12/lb. Looking at good local roasters they are more like $20-$25/lb. Finding it hard to justify paying twice the price.
$15-18 for 12oz is my average unless it's something very exotic

I've become accustomed to folks using "nerd" in an endearing manner. It depends on who uses it and how, I guess.
For example, and I quote, "Thank youuuu ❤️ ❤️ dunno what i would do without my nerds"

Thanks for the recommendations - I'll have to try out Square Mile and Columbia Rainbow sometime. I happen to have a gooseneck kettle so I may as well try and put it to use.
Same, same, depending on context, I often use the term nerd in an endearing, if not complimentary manner—I'd consider myself a nerd.

Usually roasting doubles or even triples the price per pound, biggest/best roasters have first dibs on th e best greens and pay lower prices as they buy larger quantities so what you can buy as home roaster is limited...

Still I buy direct trade greens (traceable to a grower and no middle men taking most of the profit, or so we hope) at an average around 15 euro/Kg for 85-ish point coffees that I then roast.

As a result I drink better coffee than in most but for very few coffee bars for the sort of money of supermarket roasted beans, the stuff I roast does like 30-35euro/kg or well above that at well known roasters and I"d dare compare it

Last edited:

Where do you see the hate? Just because some don't care about the depths of someone's particular hobby doesn't mean they don't like the person, far from it. It is only if you believe that your hobby defines you that you would equate the two. Just asking to move this to a separate thread so it is easy to ignore. Be good citizens and stop ruining a perfectly good thread where popular but politically incorrect opinions are voiced.

1714071084327.gif

Brave man, saying the P word after the debacle in the other thread.

English needs to generate a better name for plant based milk alternatives. No problem with them, they can taste good in the right application while allowing those blessed with inferior micro biomes a lactose free alternative. But given that a milk is generated by mammals, it’s incorrect at best. However “nut emulsion” does not roll off the tongue very well.

English needs to generate a better name for plant based milk alternatives. No problem with them, they can taste good in the right application while allowing those blessed with inferior micro biomes a lactose free alternative. But given that a milk is generated by mammals, it’s incorrect at best. However “nut emulsion” does not roll off the tongue very well.
I call it nut water

what she said …

Where do you see the hate? Just because some don't care about the depths of someone's particular hobby doesn't mean they don't like the person, far from it. It is only if you believe that your hobby defines you that you would equate the two. Just asking to move this to a separate thread so it is easy to ignore. Be good citizens and stop ruining a perfectly good thread where popular but politically incorrect opinions are voiced.
Yeah, 'hate' perhaps a bit strong. My comment done in lightness, not too bothered about it all to be honest, all in good humor.

Back