Snake River Farms - What Would Order?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone had Kurobuta pork?

I'd love to try some really good pork.

I ordered a Kurabota (aka Berkshire) belly from Snake River Farms several years ago during my bacon making phase and was very happy with it.

I then discovered Heritage Foods and have been a regular customer ever since. One of their breed samplers would be a good introduction, just add a request to the order indicating the breeds of interest and they will try to accommodate. I've never really done side by side taste tests but I do seem to prefer Red Wattle over Duroc and Berkshire.

Ok, I know this does not directly answer the question, since I have not tried their steaks/meat, and I just provide my experience related to other "Wagyu" steaks (not sure if you are looking for steaks or Pork). But I will say, after having Japanese A5 Wagyu and then, several times, both the American and Austrian, I always stick to the Japanese Wagyu. From the prices I see, I can get Japanese for a bit more when they have sales/coupons. Personally, I stick with the filets, they are great. I have had the ribeyes, and they are fantastic, but too rich, I can only eat a little bit before it becomes too much. I get my stakes from Grand Western Steaks, so far they have been great.

I ordered a Kurabota (aka Berkshire) belly from Snake River Farms several years ago during my bacon making phase and was very happy with it.

I then discovered Heritage Foods and have been a regular customer ever since. One of their breed samplers would be a good introduction, just add a request to the order indicating the breeds of interest and they will try to accommodate. I've never really done side by side taste tests but I do seem to prefer Red Wattle over Duroc and Berkshire.
Thank you. That breed sampler is very intriguing. I honestly only honed on Snake River Farms because it is regional to me and I've spent many many hours on the Snake River. But beyond that, I'm certainly open to other providers so I really appreciate it.

Ok, I know this does not directly answer the question, since I have not tried their steaks/meat, and I just provide my experience related to other "Wagyu" steaks (not sure if you are looking for steaks or Pork). But I will say, after having Japanese A5 Wagyu and then, several times, both the American and Austrian, I always stick to the Japanese Wagyu. From the prices I see, I can get Japanese for a bit more when they have sales/coupons. Personally, I stick with the filets, they are great. I have had the ribeyes, and they are fantastic, but too rich, I can only eat a little bit before it becomes too much. I get my stakes from Grand Western Steaks, so far they have been great.

Our own personal preferences are for sure a big part of the decision. That's one reason I posted this, to see what other folks would like. I've only tried Wagyu once. It was quite good but I also found it very rich. There's a lot to be said for a really good Angus. :)

I worked at a steakhouse that sold about #100-#150 of their skirt steak a week. We eventually moved to a different cut because we couldn't get at our original price point. I still think about that steak often. Really special stuff.

I’ve had a Korobuta pork chop before. It’s been a while, but to my memory it was more moist, more flavorful and perhaps a bit richer than a typical chop. I also recall a bit of sweetness but that may have been the preparation itself. I would certainly get it again. Never ordered from SNF or GWS, so I can’t comment specifically on their products. I have had quite a bit of ok American Wagyu and I‘m not sure it better than prime angus. In my book, aged prime is the best for steaks, but I have only had Imported Wagyu twice. I had an Australian Wagyu filet which was excellent and a Japanese strip which was just a terrible and expensive disappointment.

I like their pork, especially the ground pork strangely enough. But I'd imagine a chop would be the way to go as regular pork chops can be so underwhelming. Their prok is sold pretty regularly round these parts, mostly at asian groceries.

I'd probably go rib eye cap. And hanger to see if there's much difference on a leaner cut like that.

I get wagyu from Eataly, so it may be a little different, but I find the kinda cheaper cuts are awesome when they come from this kind of beef. Everything wagyu is pretty tender, go with a cut that's super flavorful.

If it was me, I'd get this picanha, and perhaps make tafelspitz (austrian boiled beef) out of it. But first I'd ask @Michi if he thought it was the right cut!

Lots looks good on that site!

https://www.snakeriverfarms.com/american-wagyu-picanha.html?utm_medium=paid-search&utm_source=google
ps-good quality pork gets enthusiastic thumbs up from me too! I get berkshire black pig from a butcher around here, it's pretty good stuff.

i would buy and cook the most simplest dish ever to really see what is the deal with big money beef. season, sear and eat.

i wouldnt do anything new, or experimental, or overly flavored. just me. i definately wouldnt do anything i needed to Google. hahahha

I had a SRF Wagyu New York Strip at a classy joint in Ft Lauderdale. One of the best steaks I’ve ever had. Most expensive too!

Personally, I'd go for the dry aged ribeyes, ribeye cap, short ribs, waygu ribeyes. The salami look interesting too.

If you're going the wagyu route my vote goes to hanger steak. There simply isn't a better cut on the cow, and it's actually surprisingly cheap. Just make sure you slice it against the grain and don't slice it too thick, otherwise it'll get a bit chewy. But the taste is better than any other part of the cow.

I’d recommend Pursuit Farms over SRF personally. He also dry ages some of his wagyu, and if you want something memorable, I’d recommend dry aged wagyu cross over pure A5. Instead of eating only a few bites of extremely rich meat, you could both have a whole steak of rich AND flavorful meat. My 2 cents.

When I was younger, I liked Kobe beef burgers. They had a nice taste and good fat balance. The wagyu I see now looks to fatty to me. I would not buy any wagyu I see in the stores now. I live in Texas and we have lots of beef. I grew up eating beef. I eat beef almost every day.

I’d recommend Pursuit Farms over SRF personally. He also dry ages some of his wagyu, and if you want something memorable, I’d recommend dry aged wagyu cross over pure A5. Instead of eating only a few bites of extremely rich meat, you could both have a whole steak of rich AND flavorful meat. My 2 cents.
Pursuit farms isn’t taking orders until December 1st.. bummer

Latest posts

Back