Sharpal 325/1200 diamond plate

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
I bought the Sharpal 325/1200 diamond plate recently. I have to say that I'm impressed. It cuts very fast. Makes absolutely short work of SLD, SG2, and HAP40, and I effortlessly get to shaving sharp in about three minutes flat. Follow up with a green compound strop (rough side) and a black compound strop (smooth side), and I get a wickedly sharp edge in less than five minutes.

1714803521292.jpeg

The plate comes with a nice sturdy storage box with a rubber base, so no need to break out the sink bridge. It also includes an angle guide with four different angles (25º, 20º, 17º, and 14º), which is sort of redundant, but some people might appreciate it.

For lapping fluid, I use car windscreen wash solution, which works fine. (The instructions that come with the plate say to use it dry or with oil, but never with water.)

I also like using this plate with my Wüsthofs, which are a pain to sharpen with Suehiro Cerax because the steel is so ductile and won't abrade quickly. Again, this plate makes very short work of this.

For my carbon steel knives, I still prefer my water stones. Better feel, and they sharpen very quickly anyway, so there is no need for diamond.

I decided to try this plate based on the review below. I'm glad that I did.

Last edited:
Is nothing new. Does nothing better than the average products. Does some things worse than better plates, albeit makes no difference for sharpening. But when he said this is better, it started to be better for a lot of people. Funny enough, even for people that already had this and never liked it. Says a lot about our perceived expectations. And sharpening on diamond plates got to be hugely popular recently.

Many diamond plates are great. I have a variety of brands and grits. They do well with very hard and very soft steels.

Be careful with windshield washer fluid. Many contain methanol which is poisonous and can be absorbed through the skin and breathing.

I generally use mine in the kitchen and I use soapy water. Smiths Honing Solution also works REALLY good if you are doing something that you are concerned about rusting.

Back