"Ryky x Jet Li" Limited Edition - Ok I wanna hear your opinions about it!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KasumiJLA

Custom wa handle & honyaki polishing
KKF Supporting Craftsman
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
The math doesn't really check out to me. The link says it's 537$ per knife, for a limited run of 300$ that's 150k total revenue. How is that enough to split between Nigara, Ryky and Jet Li :oops:

The knife looks fine, the grind with the asymmetric hollow on one side looks interesting for a japanese knife, although the choil looks a little thick behind the edge.

Acrylic handle? I can think of nothing worse. Not even a Mazzer walnut ferrule. Mr Li must be super skint to put his name behind that project.

As much as I like Jet Li and his abilities, I don't know much about his life outside of movies and martial arts. Is he a known cook or knife designer?

Polished acrylic is usually slippery and it is heavy and this is a full tang knife. Looking at the specs, my guess would be that this knife is handle heavy and slippery, so something to ask for the potential buyer.

Dont know the backstory to comment on the whole Ryky thing, but it basically looks like a reprofiled version of the standard nigara tsuchime migaki:

https://sharpknifeshop.com/collecti...cts/nigara-hamono-tsuchime-migaki-gyuto-240mm
So if you want a flatter profile with a pointier tip, knock yourself out I guess?

I'd be more into it if it had a more universally acceptable handle shape and ditched the unnecessary cosmetics to bring the price point down. Also don't care about the Jet Li marketing nonsense. That said, the grind looks fairly high performance.

Seems a bit inspired by the yu kurosaki senko western line. 🤷‍♂️

The math doesn't really check out to me. The link says it's 537$ per knife, for a limited run of 300$ that's 150k total revenue. How is that enough to split between Nigara, Ryky and Jet Li :oops:

The knife looks fine, the grind with the asymmetric hollow on one side looks interesting for a japanese knife, although the choil looks a little thick behind the edge.
Oh yeah sorry.. it was the fault of my browser to converting it in CAD 😅

Everything about that knife is alright apart from the useless Ryky x Jet thing.

Well I'm not sure about acrylic neither or the POB for these things, but it's the same material as their regular line of western handles, and I guess the same POB.

Now, a SG2 with their regular acrylic Yo handle is 550$ - Canadian.

Usually their AS is less expensive, when using comparable Wa handles.

So 745$ CAD? Yeaaaaah...

hqdefault.jpg

Jet Li wielding a limited edition Ryky.

From the price and regular Nigara prices for construction both Ryky and Li seem to be in for about 50,000 USD each (or otherwise divided since Li has literally NOTHING to do there) leaving Nigara with some 200$ USD per unit. Seems to make sense to me. With all of Ryky’s stupid fans it’s an easy big buck to make.

I seriously doubt the claim 'hand forged'. Prelaminated is more believable. Thickness choil 2.1mm. Thickness middle 2.1mm, so zero distal taper. Laser cut and ground seems the most probably means of production. Limited outrun of 300 is laughable.

I seriously doubt the claim 'hand forged'. Prelaminated is more believable. Thickness choil 2.1mm. Thickness middle 2.1mm, so zero distal taper. Laser cut and ground seems the most probably means of production. Limited outrun of 300 is laughable.
A knife can be prelaminated and hand forged. Pre-laminated != stock removal. The specs do sound like stock removal though, along with the very regular cladding line.

Or you could get the same knife from homebutcher for like half the price, and not have ryky tagged on it. Didnt ppl resell some knives on here with ryky logo on it in the past? I recall the knife instantly taking like a $100 loss in value just due to that.

Let's ignore it comes from Ricky for a moment. The blade has no distal taper, industrial (stamped) finish, the bevel has a heavy handed sand blasted finish. Te bevel grind appears to be concave. The handle looks decent, the bolster fit to the blade does not. The knife is not going to impress with weight distribution and is going to cut 'OK' I suspect. Putting it all together - I personally don't see the $500+ value there. Now when we do take Ricky into the consideration ... :D

guys you are missing the point on discussing distal taper, finishes, steel or whatnot. What other awesome knife you can get for 500 bucks, doesn't matter.

The knife says JET LI on it. That's BAAAADASSS ya dig.

The only way to top this knife is for Bruce Lee to come back from the grave and endorse a collab with Ryky😤

It’s typical Nigara SG2 tho, you can get them at Homebutcher with huge discount most of the time

This is the first I've seen that profile though. The other nigara gyutos have a more typical, somewhat bullnose-like design. It's the only reason I can possibly see for getting the jet li collab, if someone was just really into that profile.

Back