Post your rectangles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I can help flush out some of the bigger collections, cuz I know they’re out there 👀

Here’s my humble offerings, with a few more on the way

Top to bottom - kamon, takeda NAS, Oatley, HF, and yoshimi kato
View attachment 171617
How’s the Takeda? I always think Takeda food release plus cleaver chopping power and scooping ability must be really nice.

How’s the Takeda? I always think Takeda food release plus cleaver chopping power and scooping ability must be really nice.
Between it and my 330 gyuto from him, my thoughts are the same... they work a lot better than they look like they should. Core steel is one of my favorites. Just waiting on some help from @Forty Ounce to ease the shoulders a little...

@NotAddictedYet sooooooooon.
4656339A-83D6-4945-B072-EF356A3B9A91.jpeg

Between it and my 330 gyuto from him, my thoughts are the same... they work a lot better than they look like they should. Core steel is one of my favorites. Just waiting on some help from @Forty Ounce to ease the shoulders a little...
Holy crap 330. Thing must look like an oar 🤣. +1 for Takeda’s aogami super.

Japanese division (L-R): Itinomonn cleaver (with the edge busted up from going through deer spine), Toyama 180, Sakai Takauki 165, No clue (Tosa?) 165, No clue at all stainless clad 165, Kiya 145, don't know 145 (This year is handle work year!).

Chinese division (L-R): Wok Shop carbon, don't know #3, Three Rams #2

Attachments

• PXL_20220325_215347030.MP[1].jpg
    PXL_20220325_215347030.MP[1].jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20220325_215621029[1].jpg
    PXL_20220325_215621029[1].jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 37
OK, here we go. My rectangles.

Start with my first two cleavers, and my only cleavers for a long time, a Joyce Chen signature (she was a Chinese chef working in the Boston area) and a Dexter. Stainless, naturally.
SMALL First Two Cleavers.JPG
In this next picture, I've paired the third cleaver I bought, a lightweight Judy Lew signature I got for my wife, with a much more recent acquisition, the result of my going into a store on Shanghai Street in Hong Kong, and asking for "one of those small ones that they use to cut skin serving pieces off of a Peking Duck."
SMALL Light.JPG
Next was a misstep, a cool-looking Shun that doesn't sit well in my hand, that was made for rock chopping, which I almost never do, and which I absolutely hate to sharpen. I had to rescue it from exile in the garage to take this picture. I know just the friend I'm going to give it to, when I can fly to visit him without wearing a diaper on my face.
SMALL Shunned Shun.JPG
I needed to cut bones sometimes, so a couple of bone choppers found their way in.
SMALL Bone Cutters.JPG
The beginning of my fall down the rabbit hole was Sugimoto. I started with a stainless CM4030 that I have sold on to a deserving soul here, and liked it so much that I got this carbon steel No. 6. I have been moving toward carbon steel, and in selling the CM4030 and buying the SF4030, I assumed I was getting pretty much the same shape. Instead, the carbon one has a full belly. I use it, and like it fine, but I glare at it from time to time, and tell myself I should have waited for it to arrive before selling the stainless one.
SMALL Sugimoto.JPG
Sometime after this, I rediscovered KKF, and started going nuts with excitement about the wonderful artisan cleavers in wonderful steel that takes wonderful edges that are a pleasure to use. I know many here love their lightweight CCKs and such, but I actually like heavy cleavers, even for, say, chopping carrots. I suppose if I were a pro, doing it all day, it would be fatiguing to do that with a 580g cleaver, but I actually find it easy and congenial. The weight helps make the chopping seem like no work at all. And if you're doing something like slicing a brisket, the ease of doing that with a well-sharpened 580g cleaver makes doing it with a gyuto or suji seem like excessive effort.

I did mention going nuts, right? I did that. So I've wound up with:

A 680g Takeshi Saji in SG2, and a 580g blue steel Watanabe (possible Toyama) with an orange (!) handle.
SMALL Saki Watanabe.JPG
A 480g Watanabe (possible Toyama), and a longer 380g of the same, both white steel. The white-handled 380g was called "Gokun," which at first I assumed was some cool mysterious Japanese thing, but which basically means "Dude, it looks like a Go board because of the grid pattern." Whatever, I love it.
SMALL Watanabe Toyama.JPG
And of course I had to round out this menagerie of excess with a Denka, which came in at 520g.
SMALL TF.JPG

I'm keen to see everyones nakiris, cleavers, basically anything not super pointy in this thread.

As much as I want to bring back NKW's intro thread as there were some very cool rectangles in that one already, I feel this is probably a more appropriate place for such a thread.
I see a suspicious lack of posts from @nakiriknaifuwaifu in this thread. Has he strayed from the square side?

That was certainly a very cool thread 🥰

@esoo not really. I'm not really a collector - so I only have two nakiris in total. Let go of a lot of stuff after I found my wat last year. Still miss all of them, especially the moritaka, but it's for the best since my Wat pro hogs all the board time these days.

I'm pretty loyal to my wat pro but it's not a particularly cool or rare knife so I don't spam pictures of it on KKF/insta. I suppose do spam the recommendations threads though - but that's for a different (and more noble) reason.

Everyone's seen a wat pro before I think - and mine isn't really different. Here it is anyway alongside my only other nakiri - a 165mm KU from some no-name maker in Sanjo in boring white #2.

20220326_150158.jpg
20220326_150224.jpg

20220326_150056.jpg
20220326_150140.jpg

(spine shots: Watanabe on left - yes the spine is thinner than the 165 on the right, sorry for the not perfectly analogous angle/depth)
20220326_150208 (1).jpg
20220326_150118.jpg

OK, here we go. My rectangles.

Start with my first two cleavers, and my only cleavers for a long time, a Joyce Chen signature (she was a Chinese chef working in the Boston area) and a Dexter. Stainless, naturally.
View attachment 171882
In this next picture, I've paired the third cleaver I bought, a lightweight Judy Lew signature I got for my wife, with a much more recent acquisition, the result of my going into a store on Shanghai Street in Hong Kong, and asking for "one of those small ones that they use to cut skin serving pieces off of a Peking Duck."
View attachment 171883
Next was a misstep, a cool-looking Shun that doesn't sit well in my hand, that was made for rock chopping, which I almost never do, and which I absolutely hate to sharpen. I had to rescue it from exile in the garage to take this picture. I know just the friend I'm going to give it to, when I can fly to visit him without wearing a diaper on my face.
View attachment 171886
I needed to cut bones sometimes, so a couple of bone choppers found their way in.
View attachment 171881
The beginning of my fall down the rabbit hole was Sugimoto. I started with a stainless CM4030 that I have sold on to a deserving soul here, and liked it so much that I got this carbon steel No. 6. I have been moving toward carbon steel, and in selling the CM4030 and buying the SF4030, I assumed I was getting pretty much the same shape. Instead, the carbon one has a full belly. I use it, and like it fine, but I glare at it from time to time, and tell myself I should have waited for it to arrive before selling the stainless one.
View attachment 171887
Sometime after this, I rediscovered KKF, and started going nuts with excitement about the wonderful artisan cleavers in wonderful steel that takes wonderful edges that are a pleasure to use. I know many here love their lightweight CCKs and such, but I actually like heavy cleavers, even for, say, chopping carrots. I suppose if I were a pro, doing it all day, it would be fatiguing to do that with a 580g cleaver, but I actually find it easy and congenial. The weight helps make the chopping seem like no work at all. And if you're doing something like slicing a brisket, the ease of doing that with a well-sharpened 580g cleaver makes doing it with a gyuto or suji seem like excessive effort.

I did mention going nuts, right? I did that. So I've wound up with:

A 680g Takeshi Saji in SG2, and a 580g blue steel Watanabe (possible Toyama) with an orange (!) handle.
View attachment 171885
A 480g Watanabe (possible Toyama), and a longer 380g of the same, both white steel. The white-handled 380g was called "Gokun," which at first I assumed was some cool mysterious Japanese thing, but which basically means "Dude, it looks like a Go board because of the grid pattern." Whatever, I love it.
View attachment 171889
And of course I had to round out this menagerie of excess with a Denka, which came in at 520g.
View attachment 171888

This is an epic collection. Love the Watanabes!

Truly no love for usuba in this forum. 🤷‍♂️ I'll post mine when I get home tonight.

Please do : )

No takobiki representation either 🤷‍♂️

Not what I had in mind but it's still a rectangle! Post it if you have one! Same goes for usuba, menkiri and anything else like this.

Back