My very first knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Urielthefallen

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've just moved in a new house with a new kitchen and a new chapter of my life have begin. I would like to make a present to myself, a new kitchen knife. At the moment I own a knife set from zwilling and a Santoku from Kai shun (I know that you're not into the santoku 😂). Reading this forum a world has opened up to me, I really didn't know the existence of many type of knives and so many things to look at when purchasing one.

After reading some posts and watching some videos I understood that probably I should buy a Funayuki, a Bunka ora a Kiritsuke. For the moment I need an all around knife for fish and vegetables (and a little bit of meat).
I would like a raw looking carbon knife with a simple wooden japanese handgrip (like the one I will link below).

I found this company called Musashi Hamono, I wrote them a message on facebook and they told me that they produce the knives in Japan. What do you think about them and about my choises? If you have other website/brands or suggestions are welcome. I've a budget around 100-130 euros.

https://www.musashihamono.com/en/pr...er-kurouchi-165mm?_pos=4&_sid=a40022cbc&_ss=rhttps://www.musashihamono.com/en/pr...3RToW4KeonpJEVBYAdWkOwfpI2ynkaQhoCA40QAvD_BwEhttps://miuraknives.com/japanese-kn...apanese-knife-miura-knives.html#/34-size-21cm

**EDIT**

QUESTIONNAIRE:

KNIFE TYPE

-All purpose knife (maybe Funayuki, Bunka or Kiritsuke)
-Right handed
-Japanese handle (wooden, I don't like too many colors or graphics. I want it simple and elegant)
-185mm, but I'm open to your suggestions. If you suggest a 200mm I will trust you, I'm wide open to new things.
-Do you require a stainless knife? No
-What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? 150 euros

KNIFE USE
-Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home kitchen

-What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? Slicing and chopping veggies, slice fish, cut fish, sometimes easy cut on the meat (no bone cracking).

-What knife, if any, are you replacing? I already have 3 Santoku. Two from Zwilling and one from Kai Shun (it should be the DM0702 if I'm not wrong).

-Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.) I think oval or something slightly prominent on the right. I don'k know what is the right name, the rounded one that also fills the palm of you hand.

-What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) I think is slice and rock chop

-What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Well, I like to use the Santoku but even if the blade is sharp I fell I'm missing something. It's hard to explain. I would like to explore a different kind of blade for my all around porpuses.

-Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? I love the look of the raw carbon. All of my knives are stainless steel and I would like to have a knife aesthetically pleasant and to take care of it. Basically I'm searching a knife that looks like the knives I've linked in the first post.

-Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? I don't care a lot about weight at the moment, I think the point is the balance and how this weight is distributed. I don't care about the handle material either, a regular wood is fine for me. Probably I prefer a better handle shape that fits my hand. I'm 180cm tall, regular european body.

-Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)? Slicing motion preferred

-Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Forever 😂

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? Yes, rubber at the moment

Do you sharpen your own knives? No for the moment but in the future I would try

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? Yes in the future

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? Yes but not now

Francesco

Attachments

• Kiritsuke-Bunka-Aogami-Super-Kurouchi-Walnut-Handle-165mm-Musashi-Japanese-Kitchen-Knives-8_1...jpeg
    Kiritsuke-Bunka-Aogami-Super-Kurouchi-Walnut-Handle-165mm-Musashi-Japanese-Kitchen-Knives-8_1...jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Welcome.

(Pls refrain from posting links in your first 5 posts - they make the spam filters go nuts)

Welcome! If you fill out a questionnaire, people can help you try to find something you might like within your budget

Welcome aboard.

Just as a head's up: if I were you I'd rather buy something that I know the maker of. And wouldn't be too impressed with a vendor using the denomination "kiritsuke bunka" for a simple bunka.

I'm sure the money can get you a nicer item from a reputable maker with a... more professional vendor.

Hey Francesco,

Really, really use the questionnaire.

Very simple things are very relevant. Are you right- or left-handed? How do you sharpen? What are you used to?

They allow us to give a much better advice and perhaps unexpected suggestions, rather than an answer to the question: should I buy A or B, while we don't know anything about you and your use of the knife. The same knife may be an excellent solution to some, a terrible one for another, and still be a perfectly decent knife.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-which-knife-should-i-buy-questionnaire-v2.12791/

Welcome.

(Pls refrain from posting links in your first 5 posts - they make the spam filters go nuts)

Thanks for letting me know. Should I reply to any of you in the same post or do you prefer multiple answers? This rule may change from forum to forum.
Usually I prefer a single post to don't overload the board with tons of message, but if you prefer to split them for me is not a problem.

Hey Francesco,

Really, really use the questionnaire.

Very simple things are very relevant. Are you right- or left-handed? How do you sharpen? What are you used to?

They allow us to give a much better advice and perhaps unexpected suggestions, rather than an answer to the question: should I buy A or B, while we don't know anything about you and your use of the knife. The same knife may be an excellent solution to some, a terrible one for another, and still be a perfectly decent knife.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/the-which-knife-should-i-buy-questionnaire-v2.12791/

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I missed that questionnaire, good to know. I will add it to the first post.

I read this topic before posting but unfortunately there are no many info about it.

Welcome aboard.

Just as a head's up: if I were you I'd rather buy something that I know the maker of. And wouldn't be too impressed with a vendor using the denomination "kiritsuke bunka" for a simple bunka.

I'm sure the money can get you a nicer item from a reputable maker with a... more professional vendor.

Do you have a list of serious makers? So I can search if there is an italian shop where to find them. On the italian Amazon (amazon.it) there are few choises and next to my home there is a shop LINK that basically sells KAI and Kyocera but they are not what I'm searching. Also if you know a website that do international shipping. I'm sorry for bother you guys with all these questions. I'm very interested to this and it's opening to me a new world of terms, names, shapes and materials!

I’d have a look at Shiro Kamo and Munetoshi ironclads in that price range if you’re looking for kurouchi (the blackened finish) and carbon steel. Since you already have 3 santoku’s I’d recommend looking at gyutos in the 180-210mm range. They’ll have a higher tip and a bit more curve than your santokus and allow for a broader range of cutting motions. If your prep area and cutting board are small, stick with 180mm; if you have room then try a 210mm.

Ideally you’d budget $50 for a whetstone to sharpen any of the knives below, or find a good local sharpener who uses stones and not belts for better quality knives.

https://www.cleancut.eu/butik/knifebrands/munetoshihttps://www.cleancut.eu/series/ryus...ption=com_virtuemart&view=category&Itemid=875https://knivesandstones.us/collections/shinko-by-kns

Latest posts

Back