Milan Gravier

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can we take a moment to discuss this amazing knife maker. In my opinion, he is the most exciting and progressive knife maker currently. It seems he levels up every time he posts on Instagram and his work gets better each time. Have a look at his last three posts and you could tell this man is insane. On top of all that, he also explains his process and has videos on sharpening, thinning, polishing, and using natural stones. I'll stop fanboying now and go back to daydreaming of the day I get on his wait list.

100% in the fanboy section for @milangravier. Could not agree more with what has already been said. I look forward to his story updates on IG and watching whatever project he is working on transform into something magical. He is always a pleasure to talk to as well! I am away from home right now but if someone is going to start a thread like this... pics to show some appreciation for the man!

As someone who has used both his new and old knives I will also add that even though his new stuff is more impressive aesthetically, even his old work cuts extremely well and has really nice HT. I see a lot of people doing WTB’s on only his newer work, but his old stuff is really good as well

His knives look incredible and a custom is definitely at the top of my current wishlist. Apart from his design and skill though I think what I love about him is his continued evolution and generosity in teaching what he has learned. Always seems to be challenging himself and perfecting his craft and generously sharing his knowledge. Just when I think a knife couldn't look prettier he makes some deep etched, twisted wrought clad beast that blows me away. I'm excited to see his honyaki.

Apart from his design and skill though I think what I love about him is his continued evolution and generosity in teaching what he has learned. Always seems to be challenging himself and perfecting his craft and generously sharing his knowledge.
As someone currently ensnared in academia I have to say: this is what real scholarship looks like. Some people might think scholarship can only be done by people holding PhDs inside of a research institute or a university offering tenure track appointments, but ever since the Internet it’s been equally about GitHub, Instagram, YouTube, Reddit, and forums like KKF. I mean, scienceofsharp and knifesteelnerds might not be peer reviewed, but as Stalin almost said, enough citations “have a quality all their own”…

As someone currently ensnared in academia I have to say: this is what real scholarship looks like. Some people might think scholarship can only be done by people holding PhDs inside of a research institute or a university offering tenure track appointments, but ever since the Internet it’s been equally about GitHub, Instagram, YouTube, Reddit, and forums like KKF. I mean, scienceofsharp and knifesteelnerds might not be peer reviewed, but as Stalin almost said, enough citations “have a quality all their own”…
I always thought Stalin said that half but turns out no one knows who actually said that quote.
https://www.quora.com/Who-said-Quantity-has-a-quality-all-its-own

I know we have that Jiro thread and I would love if this thread turns into that. So as @mockit and @Delat have mentioned, if you have any pictures of your milan and want to share the cutting experience please go for it!

I'll throw the one I have into the mix. I've yet to shoot better photos of it, but here it is the day I got it.

Milan has amazing photos on his IG so I'll share that link, too

His work is absolutely in the very top tier of my collection.

Attachments

• 232927-d2811234bb0f7beab9ea00ac7c4934f9.jpeg
    232927-d2811234bb0f7beab9ea00ac7c4934f9.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 232928-cf73f955e8d024dd37ac882c137134fc.jpeg
    232928-cf73f955e8d024dd37ac882c137134fc.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 232929-288c120c954bb60b6dbcacec39186cc1.jpeg
    232929-288c120c954bb60b6dbcacec39186cc1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I have watched his Instagram reels about polishing tips and opinions and also read his posts here on stones and polishing tips and all. Very helpful and explained with not much complexity. Ain’t aiming any of his knives for now as the competition is high and so are the prices.

Hey,
Well thank you all. I won't participate too much here. Just glad that my work can touch you and interess you. Lot of my journey in this craft is thanks to sharing with people (like the passaround discussion we did here 3 years ago now), discussions, share of process, share of ideas. I am glad people could share things with me, so I want to continue their kindness of sharing. I just want to do it my way and talk to a bigger public too. I think it can be a good thing to share with people how kitchen knives is an interesting/complex/rich subject that everyone can enjoy from his point of view and taste. Making videos and post about polishing, knifemaking in general, is a way to let people understand what is behind a knife, what I do on the knives I make. And it also can help people to share the way I see those knives and how we can live with those objects, from simply using them to tune them so they can be better tools and easier/more fun to maintain.

Anyone who’s owned one care to talk about how they cut? I’m curious about the geometry - thin, mid weight, workhorse? How do they compare to other makers or brands?

midweight to workhorse grind. everyone wants his new stuff because 1.) bandwagon and 2.) because his newer work is a lot more workhorsey yet still cuts like a dream, plus his knives have that dope aesthetic of being both "western" while still carrying that clean Japanese "tamashii" aura. kinda hard to explain unless you're actually holding and using one. imo, the only maker who can really compete is Rob's (the 9nine) work.

Yanick's zero edges are just not strong enough sometimes, I would say that's the biggest "con" with his knives. Not as weak as some Sakai grinds, but definitely not as strong as Milan's/Rob's.
Interesting. I have no experience with Yanick's blades, but is a microbevel enough to solve that, or you need to make it a but thicker BTE by sharpening a bit?

Interesting. I have no experience with Yanick's blades, but is a microbevel enough to solve that, or you need to make it a but thicker BTE by sharpening a bit?
I think a microbevel can only take it so far.. To make it strong enough to compete would mean altering the grind a lot, and at that point, you'll just ruin your Yanick.

Yanick's zero edges are just not strong enough sometimes, I would say that's the biggest "con" with his knives. Not as weak as some Sakai grinds, but definitely not as strong as Milan's/Rob's.
IDK, mine's pretty nail-flexy and I use it on squash and other hard veg frequently without issue. Used it to cut corn off the cob also. I think the balance of pure drop through bliss, release, and fragility is about perfect for me. I'm also put off by the performance of the seriously workhorse-y stuff though.

Never gotten to take something from Rob for a proper whirl though

IDK, mine's pretty nail-flexy and I use it on squash and other hard veg frequently without issue. Used it to cut corn off the cob also. I think the balance of pure drop through bliss, release, and fragility is about perfect for me. I'm also put off by the performance of the seriously workhorse-y stuff though.

Never gotten to take something from Rob for a proper whirl though

I'm with ya babe, you know me, Yanick's #1 fan boy. I guess in a pro kitchen, that flexy edge always gives me the heebie jeebies, so I tend to gravitate towards midweights/litehorses.

The super workhorse-y knives are fun to molest but they get annoying quick.

I'm with ya babe, you know me, Yanick's #1 fan boy. I guess in a pro kitchen, that flexy edge always gives me the heebie jeebies, so I tend to gravitate towards midweights/litehorses.

The super workhorse-y knives are fun to molest but they get annoying quick.
Fair, I definitely wouldn't let someone I didn't trust immensely use it. I leant mine to @Illyria for a few months and he agreed that he knew only a handful of cooks he'd give a knife that thinly ground to. But if you got the skills...

Fair, I definitely wouldn't let someone I didn't trust immensely use it. I leant mine to @Illyria for a few months and he agreed that he knew only a handful of cooks he'd give a knife that thinly ground to. But if you got the skills...
ya, there we go. There's a learning curve when using a ferrari of a chef knife

I suspect Yanick’s steel just has a little bit lower toughness than some of the steels Rob is using. Or at least the heat treatment makes it a little bit more brittle. For whatever reason the one I traded for came pretty chipped.

Traded one of Rob’s knives actually…. Live and learn.

Back