Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think some style guides are more flexible and consider “the 1980’s” to be appropriate.

Also apostrophe to indicate multiple lower case letters, e.g. “Mississippi sure has a lot of i’s”. And there’s weird inconsistent cases like “these are the do’s and don’ts”.

Personally I think you just write it (informal content) the way that feels right as the interwebs are screwing up formal grammar rules anyway due to content written by people who don’t know what a style guide is. If enough people violate a rule then the rule eventually gets rewritten.

Dissenting opinion. The input of illiterates, however overwhelmingly in the majority, is still without authority.

I would handle the Mississippi example with italics, i. e. “many is.”

While I say “a lot of”, I try not to write it.

Language is beautiful to me if handled well. Never apostrophize a plural has stood me in good stead.

Dissenting opinion. The input of illiterates, however overwhelmingly in the majority, is still without authority.

Language is beautiful to me if handled well. Never apostrophize a plural has stood me in good stead.
Many is? Really mate? xD

And the majority is always the authority. That's why you aren't clicking and grunting when you try to order a coffee.

I instructed chemistry. However I have always had a thing for the English language.
Oh nice! You should check out the hundreds of *other* iteretions of the English language that preceeded this current one, and consult with the tens of thousands of authorities on said iteretions who have had their authority overruled by the majority. 😉

Oh nice! You should check out the hundreds of *other* [iterations] of the English language that [preceded] this current one, and consult with the tens of thousands of authorities on said [iterations] who have had their authority overruled by the majority. 😉
It’s on my list once I show up for orientation day in Hell.

If you haven’t already, you guys should check out Dryer’s English (or, if you prefer, Dryer’s English) by Benjamin Dryer. He recently retired as managing editor and copy chief at Random House.
It’s not a static style guide for correctness, but rather a short treatise on editing for clarity and intent. And at times it’s hilarious.
But don’t let me interrupt, please carry on, I’m enjoying this.

You’re kind of a hardcore Chicago style guide, although both AP and Chicago beg to differ with you on lower case plurals.

Both AP and Chicago say to write “many i’s”. AP says “A’s” while Chicago can go either “A’s” or “As”.

AP says “do’s and don’ts” while Chicago says “dos and don’ts” (which sounds like somebody ordering two don’ts in a Mexican restaurant imho).

Anyway, AP is clearly biased towards wide-spread readability so yeah, bow to the will of the majority. The majority create the authority. Even the French gave up. Resistance is futile.

Slay king. 👑👑👑
?
1716047249961.jpeg

You’re kind of a hardcore Chicago style guide, although both AP and Chicago beg to differ with you on lower case plurals.

Both AP and Chicago say to write “many i’s”. AP says “A’s” while Chicago can go either “A’s” or “As”.

AP says “do’s and don’ts” while Chicago says “dos and don’ts” (which sounds like somebody ordering two don’ts in a Mexican restaurant imho).

Anyway, AP is clearly biased towards wide-spread readability so yeah, bow to the will of the majority. The majority create the authority. Even the French gave up. Resistance is futile.
Two observations.
1) Would that not be dos y dontes?

2) One (admittedly fictional) Frenchman, when faced with the suggestion that resistance is futile, became more determined to resist.

Patrick-Stewart-Picard-and-Annie-Wersching-Borg-Queen-0.jpg

@Seemore

They're good knives. The big vintage gyuto makers, Takahashi Hamono, masakane, Tokyo murasada, Sukehisa. I prefer sukehisa to masakane in terms of steel. That style of handle allows more for butcher work -- symmetrical handle for different grips, regular grip and dagger plunge grip. They're not the craziest steel ever but I don't find them lacking really as a usable knife, and I use some old stock SK steel knives for my personal cooking, despite having owned a lot of fancy blue, white, swedish, stainless etc.

Back