Knife confessions...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
New confessions:

1) basically any knife is fine if you sharpen and thin it correctly.

This combines well with

2) I rarely sharpen my own knives nowadays.

Also,

3) I haven’t oiled my cutting boards or wa handles in like a year and a half

Last edited:
New confessions:

This combined well with

2) i rarely sharpen my own knives nowadays.

Also,

3) I haven’t oiled my cutting boards or wa handles in like a year and a half
You’re so liberating.

New confessions:

I vacillate so hard on this opinion. I go months on end thinking, "why spend so much money when any knife is fine with a good sharpening." (but this is usually in regards to gyuto). I'll spend months abusing the aus-8 house knives just because they're convenient. And honestly it does work just fine.

Then I reach for one of my more well-made pieces and I remember just how nice a well-maintained piece of exceptional craftsmanship really is. Back and forth the cycle continues unending until I die I suppose.

I vacillate so hard on this opinion. I go months on end thinking, "why spend so much money when any knife is fine with a good sharpening." (but this is usually in regards to gyuto). I'll spend months abusing the aus-8 house knives just because they're convenient. And honestly it does work just fine.

Then I reach for one of my more well-made pieces and I remember just how nice a well-maintained piece of exceptional craftsmanship really is. Back and forth the cycle continues unending until I die I suppose.
May the circle be unbroken. This is the way.

Depends on the day. I guess another knife confession...sometimes I'll use many knives on just one ingredient, just to compare their differences/similarities.
Than you feel like one of them could be slightly sharper...so you pause and strop them quickly to make sure they're on an level-playing fields lol

I've always liked having good quality kitchen knives for home cooking, but generally just bought 50-100$ knives and was happy with that. Then I got a set that I didn't like, and thought it was time for an upgrade. Visited a "proper" knife store on a trip to Copenhagen and selected a Shun Classic White Santoku - it looks awesome, has a great handle, good balance and is a pleasure to use. Then I entered this forum and read that it is considered a crappy, overpriced knife. So now I don't use it anymore.
One of my favorite knives is a cheap ~25 years old Yoshikin Bunmei Nakiri. I thought I could use an upgrade, so bought a Morihei Munetsugu nakiri last year as a replacement. I don't like using the Morihei nearly as much, but use it anyway since it was expensive.
Yes, I'm like that

I've always liked having good quality kitchen knives for home cooking, but generally just bought 50-100$ knives and was happy with that. Then I got a set that I didn't like, and thought it was time for an upgrade. Visited a "proper" knife store on a trip to Copenhagen and selected a Shun Classic White Santoku - it looks awesome, has a great handle, good balance and is a pleasure to use. Then I entered this forum and read that it is considered a crappy, overpriced knife. So now I don't use it anymore.
One of my favorite knives is a cheap ~25 years old Yoshikin Bunmei Nakiri. I thought I could use an upgrade, so bought a Morihei Munetsugu nakiri last year as a replacement. I don't like using the Morihei nearly as much, but use it anyway since it was expensive.
Yes, I'm like that
Don't ever let someone else decide for you what you should or shouldn't like in a knife. If it works for you, it works... and no amount of snobbery on other people's part should influence that. Sure it might be worth looking at other stuff to see if it could mean another upgrade, but don't let it diminish whatever enjoyment you get from what you already have.

or write a book
Nice. I thought that people had forgotten about writing things altogether. Looks like people only post stoooopid videos nowadays with no significant content and even make a living by doing so. That is my sign #1 that we’re all going downwards… Sorry, that was way too OT…

1) I fine brunoise celery or carrots to add to my dog's meals twice a day purely as an excuse to play with my knives/practice different techniques. Makes him poop very consistently though, we both win.

2) I keep buying gyutos because they differ so much in style between makers, but I still like my Shindo nakiri the best. It was my first and cheapest J-knife, sent me deep down the rabbit hole.

Yes, I'm like that

If you love your Shun you should absolutely use it! I have one as well and it’s a fine knife, but my example is a bit chippy so I no longer use it.

Been in my new place for five years, i survived with one knife. One month since joining KKF, i have bought five knives.. how do you all resist the temptations??
We don't.

Hah, didn't scroll down to see @ethompson 's response. Welcome to the one place that treats addiction by feeding it more.

Me buying my first knife: “Man, $200 for a knife is crazy. Should I really spend that much?”

Me $8,000 in knives and stones later: “Someone is offering that knife for $300? Such a good deal, how could I not buy it?”

Or

Me buying my first Naniwa Pro set: “I can’t believe I’m paying over $200 for sharpening stones. They’ll be the only stones I ever need though”.

Me today: “that $400 jnat just looks so good. I really should buy it”.

Last edited:
Back