Is this tamahagane?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, I bought some rusted tanto pieces. The seller claims that it is forged from true tamahagane.

I am curious if his claim is true. Is there any way to tell if its legit? Grain pattern?

I plan on repurposing this steel if it is indeed tamahagane.

image_67174913.JPGimage_67134977.JPGimage_67196673.JPG

Can't tell from those photos. Best bet is to sand some portion of it to 200-400 or so and then etch and see what you get. These fragments often come from smiths in training and sometimes the steel isn't the best quality, just something to be aware of. Not all tamahagane is great steel

Can't tell from those photos. Best bet is to sand some portion of it to 200-400 or so and then etch and see what you get. These fragments often come from smiths in training and sometimes the steel isn't the best quality, just something to be aware of. Not all tamahagane is great steel
Thank you I will give that a try. Any suggestions on etching solution? I'll keep in mind that it might be subpar material.

Thank you I will give that a try. Any suggestions on etching solution? I'll keep in mind that it might be subpar material.
Any acid will do - I'd use ferric or muriatic for a quick result personally, but pure vinegar would work also if you don't have that around already.

Not sure what your intended use is, but the more you work it as you go through recycling, the lower the carbon will get also. Depending on where it started you might have issues achieving full hardness if you intend to forge a fresh blade anew from this material. Or... it might work beautifully! Definitely worth a shot

Got around to having some fun with muriatic acid today.
image_67516417.JPG
I sanded to 400 grit and cleaned the surface with acetone. Left to etch for about 25 minutes. It started to oxidize immediately after neutralizing and drying off. Walked away for 5 minutes and this is how it looks.
image_67166721.JPGimage_67166977 (1).JPGimage_67126529 (1).JPG

It does appear to have some pattern or hada but I might be just convincing myself.
Would love to hear anyone's input or opinion. If necessary, I can clean the rust off to better see the pattern.

Does like it does have some banding but that doesn't necessarily mean it's tamahagane.
Only way to be 100% sure is if it is stamped as such.
While this is true, in this context I think it likely that the steel in question is tamahagane. Though also likely not a super high grade of it.
Got around to having some fun with muriatic acid today.
View attachment 350281
I sanded to 400 grit and cleaned the surface with acetone. Left to etch for about 25 minutes. It started to oxidize immediately after neutralizing and drying off. Walked away for 5 minutes and this is how it looks.
View attachment 350283View attachment 350282View attachment 350284

It does appear to have some pattern or hada but I might be just convincing myself.
Would love to hear anyone's input or opinion. If necessary, I can clean the rust off to better see the pattern.
Agreed that it has a pattern that indicates you’re in luck. I also potentially see hamon - another positive sign. Now just pop it against a grinder and see how sparky it is to see if it’s got some carbon content.

I first touched it up on a belt grinder yesterday; 80 grit and it sparked a lot. Planning on making use of the steel on a couple projects.
While this is true, in this context I think it likely that the steel in question is tamahagane. Though also likely not a super high grade of it.

Agreed that it has a pattern that indicates you’re in luck. I also potentially see hamon - another positive sign. Now just pop it against a grinder and see how sparky it is to see if it’s got some carbon content.

Thank you @ethompson you have been very helpful, and thanks to everyone else who has also given their input.

I've never seen a sword stamped as tamahagane. I've seen tools, knives, razors, etc stamped or engraved as such though. Given the reactivity and sparks, it's probably a grade of tamahagane. Its not necessarily sharper than modern steels but still can be quite good. The good ones feel awesome like a very bitey white steel. Most of the sword is lower carbon tamahagane though, and 1 percent carbon at the edge, which is usually about 1/4 to 1/3 of the blade width from what I've seen in hardening lines upon polishing.

Back