i am not cooking this Thanksgiving. knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
i am tired. been a crazy last half of the year with me playing "supervisor". tired. i am taking thanksgiving week off.

my mom is visiting,but we have all been invited to Thanksgiving dinner. i ordered a case of wine and i will bring half of it. somehow, i ALWAYS seem to get some sorta knife duty. most times, the knife is crazy dull. would you:

1. have a quick knife sharpener in the trunk? "oh no, i always have a sharpener handy"
2. have a sharp chef's knife in the trunk? "oh, i just remembered! i had my knife sharpened and it is still in the car..should i get it?"

or eff it and just hack away? my one family always asks, "please tell, me you brought a knife sharpener" they just know.

Neither, just find some ceramic china and sharpen at the dinner table

I’d probably do both. If I like them, I’ll sharpen their knives. If I don’t, I’d use my own and maybe point out how much more fun cooking is with a sharp knife.

All depends on them though. Will they be offended by this? If yea, and you care, just use their stuff.

I would bring my own. Blue tape won’t help, so you gotta keep it by your side at all times. Got a scabbard?

Take a knife and leave it in the car until you need it. Every time I use a knife away from home I regret not bringing my own. To non-knife nuts it might seem a little strange that you brought your own but if they are people you care about, they likely already know you’re a little strange anyway.

Seriously? is this even a real thread, or a trolling OP?

1. Grab the dull knife.
2. Walk over the the cabinet where they keep the 385 chipped coffee mugs they can't bring themselves to toss.
3. Take out a mug.
4. Set the mug upside down on the counter.
5. Go to town sharpening on the edge of the mug.
6. Sloooooooooly shave up one of your arms, letting the dozens of cut off hair stands drift down into the cranberry sauce.
7. Look the hosts in the eye and say "Give me whatever you have that needs to be slashed into bloody little ribbons"
8. Commence slashing.

As an alternative, walk outside to the back corner of their property, grab a piece of broken CMU from the debris pile, bring it over to the patio, take a seat, and start sharpening.

I can guarantee with 99.9% accuracy you will not be asked to cut anything at Thanksgiving in 2022 :cool:

i am tired. been a crazy last half of the year with me playing "supervisor". tired. i am taking thanksgiving week off.

my mom is visiting,but we have all been invited to Thanksgiving dinner. i ordered a case of wine and i will bring half of it. somehow, i ALWAYS seem to get some sorta knife duty. most times, the knife is crazy dull. would you:

1. have a quick knife sharpener in the trunk? "oh no, i always have a sharpener handy"
2. have a sharp chef's knife in the trunk? "oh, i just remembered! i had my knife sharpened and it is still in the car..should i get it?"

or eff it and just hack away? my one family always asks, "please tell, me you brought a knife sharpener" they just know.

Bring your knife roll and a stone! I'd gotten tired and frustrated using the dull knives at my parent's, so started to bring my knife roll for the last 5 years. Made a world of difference, I'm much happier now; also sharpen their dull knives as much as I can.

last time..dinner party. they made a few GREAT tritip roast. i got slicing duty. friend asks, "can you slice them paper thin?"
i felt the knife, and said, "no..no i cant".

hahah. huge thick slabs of meat. this friend understands her knives suck. haha.

this thread was really just a joke..and great responses. i'm just thrilled i am not hosting.

This is where something like an Ultra Sharp diamond plate in 300 or a 400/1200 combo is very nice. I take mine to my mother in law's and once in a while other folks'. Her knives actually aren't bad but they can always use at least a touch up. The Ultra Sharp makes fast work of things and then on to the cuttin'. :)

I always sharpen my mom's knives when I visit, I mean, she is my mom and at 91 she deserves a sharp knife.

Awesome. I bought a new knife for my 87 year old mom a month ago, got her a Tesshu chef knife—it's a re-banded Mac from AFrames. She'd been using her trusty, circa 60s Macs. At first I did my best to sharpen them—not on the ancient stone in pic—then thought of just driving to AFrames and buying a knife.
moms_knives2.jpeg

Back