EU source for good rice (pref Germany)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to hear, a Japanese friend said they use to import rice from their family in Japan and then they found yume nishiki from Italy and stopped doing that. Sadly it won't get here till Monday, I think the storage bin I bought for it will be here before my rice but that's okay as my new gyuto will be here tomorrow to play with while I wait.

What about Spanish rice?
I have, in a paella, Spanish rices are short grain and soak up lot of water. when I tried the dish Spanish Rice was hard to find, it isn't any more. But I have a thing for fried rice which is much faster to make, especially if you have a pressure rice cooker. And Yakisoba (Japanese fried Ramen noodles) is manna from heaven.

Here is another thing about Rice cultivars. They take on the flavor of were they are grown. So the Basmati rice grown in Northern India will taste a little different and will smell different from the Basmati (Popcorn) rice grown in the Mississippi Delta. Also if a person from Japan gives you advice about Rice not only listen but take notes. The best rice cookers in the universe come from Japan. I have been told by my Japanese social media friend this is the Rice cooker too get. It is programed for every kind of rice, and other whole grains. it is also a automatic rice warmer and can keep rice ready to serve for at least 24 hours. you can use it to make meatloaf, bake bread, and make soup, and stews. I was told that the Japanese can taste when the removable cooking insert start to wears out. It is replaceable but by the time this happens the technology of a replacement has advanced so much they just get a new one.

Last edited:
No worries, the family also loves basmati as that's mostly what they have always had.

I ordered some Yume Nishiki which is grown in Italy and was a recommendation from a Japanese friend. It is a koshihikaru variety controlled by JFC (Japanese food company). Will try this out and see how it is but also loving the good recommendations for basmati. I will for sure try the tilda.

If you have more, keep it going.
Good choice. I've never had Italian grown Japanese rice, but I've never had bad koshihikari and I've tried probably 12-15 different brands. Don't forget to rinse/wash it until the water runs basically clear!

No worries, the family also loves basmati as that's mostly what they have always had.

I ordered some Yume Nishiki which is grown in Italy and was a recommendation from a Japanese friend. It is a koshihikaru variety controlled by JFC (Japanese food company). Will try this out and see how it is but also loving the good recommendations for basmati. I will for sure try the tilda.

If you have more, keep it going.
can you pls share the link?

Tilda is nice enough, there are some aged Basmati's as well but I have not yet been able to source those....

Hey all so I have been wanting to get into Japanese rice and there are a million brands out there, a lot of them at our markets I have seen are like super cheap brands that don't say what kind of rice I am dealing with. I am looking for a good eating short grain rice that also won't break the bank. We also want to use it to make sushi at home as we love to cook and experiment and learn new things.

Most of the time we eat Alnatura basmati (which I would like some tips of what is better as well).

So I am really looking for a good source preferably in Germany for some good short grain rice and would also love some tips for basmati as well. Would love to buy in bulk (5kg) so there is some here all the time.
Hallo, if you don't know it already, I would recommend this brand :
https://www.japan-shop-morita.de/de/sushi-machen/sushi-zutaten/japanischer-reis-akitakomachi
For me, it's perfect if you're looking for slightly softer and stickier rice, which tastes good when eaten cold, such as in onigiri, filled rice balls wrapped in nori seaweed, etc. For more information, don't hesitate to get in touch with Mika Morita, the chef/owner of the shop. She's super nice and knowledgeable, speaks japanese, german, english... Off topic: She also offers great cooking classes at various levels if you're considering getting started with Japanese cuisine or deepening your skills.

Good choice. I've never had Italian grown Japanese rice, but I've never had bad koshihikari and I've tried probably 12-15 different brands. Don't forget to rinse/wash it until the water runs basically clear!
Yeah we always wash, what about the 30 min soak after I hear about?
can you pls share the link?

Tilda is nice enough, there are some aged Basmati's as well but I have not yet been able to source those....
I got them from Amazon like transmaster linked below but from the German store. Japan soulfood is the reseller. Tilda I can get from Kaufland as well as Amazon, haven't ordered any as I have to get through this koshihikaru first, I will probably go grab a pack from the store in a kg to test it out. Just got my rice cooker so I want to play now.

Yeah we always wash, what about the 30 min soak after I hear about?

I got them from Amazon like transmaster linked below but from the German store. Japan soulfood is the reseller. Tilda I can get from Kaufland as well as Amazon, haven't ordered any as I have to get through this koshihikaru first, I will probably go grab a pack from the store in a kg to test it out. Just got my rice cooker so I want to play now.
I tried to link to the German and European Amazon but I see it got changed. I have a long standing account with the Japanese, and UK Amazons. there is also the international Amazon.

I tried to link to the German and European Amazon but I see it got changed. I have a long standing account with the Japanese, and UK Amazons. there is also the international Amazon.
No worries it is super easy to find. I ordered the 10kg for 5 kg which is super good as I am already paying 4,60 for Alnatura which isn't some special rice. Tilda I seen is about the same price for basmati.

Good to hear, a Japanese friend said they use to import rice from their family in Japan and then they found yume nishiki from Italy and stopped doing that. Sadly it won't get here till Monday, I think the storage bin I bought for it will be here before my rice but that's okay as my new gyuto will be here tomorrow to play with while I wait.
So many nice things to look forward to playing with 🙃

So many nice things to look forward to playing with 🙃
I know, totally excited. Want to make some sushi at the house too, most likely without raw fish most of the time because I can't get any around here in sashimi quality I think. Need to talk with the fishmonger around here though. But can make spam musabi, spicy tuna rolls and use some smoked salmon for Philadelphia rolls.

I know, totally excited. Want to make some sushi at the house too, most likely without raw fish most of the time because I can't get any around here in sashimi quality I think. Need to talk with the fishmonger around here though. But can make spam musabi, spicy tuna rolls and use some smoked salmon for Philadelphia rolls.
Do yourself a favour and buy some

https://www.nishikidori.com/en/661-598-kagugiri-ma-kombu-seaweed.html#/41-conditionnement-50_g_net

when you cook your rice you can either add a little extra water and pop a piece in the steamer (or however you cook your rice), or you can soak a piece in the water you will use to cook your rice in - and then cook it together with the rice.

Mmmmm umami mmmmm
IMG_0435.jpeg

One of the thing that my Japanese social media friends have told me is they first wash than soak the rice overnight. It is drained the next morning and loaded in an automatic pressure rice cooker. You set a start time and go to work the rice cooker takes it from there.

I have, in a paella, Spanish rices are short grain and soak up lot of water. when I tried the dish Spanish Rice was hard to find, it isn't any more. But I have a thing for fried rice which is much faster to make, especially if you have a pressure rice cooker. And Yakisoba (Japanese fried Ramen noodles) is manna from heaven.
I have not clear if you consider Spanish rice good or bad. I don't know anything about rice, but it is said Bomba rice is the best for paella.

I have not clear if you consider Spanish rice good or bad. I don't know anything about rice, but it is said Bomba rice is the best for paella.
Every rice is different, that is what makes Rice so interesting. Spanish Rice absorbs a lot of water while cooking. With a Paella the rice is cooked along with the other ingredients absorbing water is important. So there is no good or bad Rice cultivars you have to decide for yourself your favorites.

Make what is called California sushi. I very much like it.

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/189477/california-roll-sushi/

https://www.foodandwine.com/california-sushi-rolls-7112067

Last edited:
Back