Budget options with great value.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm currently at my family's cabin, and every time I come here I'm very impressed with the Fujiwara FKM 210 we have here.
That asymmetrical grind just performs really well, with great distal taper. Good balance between muscle and finesse, and a profile that lends itself well for a variety of techniques I find. It's like good vanilla ice cream; not the most exciting, but it just plain works well in most circumstances.

For me it's probably the best value out of the things I've tried. I would also mention Kanehide TK's if they still cost roughly the same as when I bought one for my sister a few years ago.

Some of the previous posts here make me want to get an FKH.

No one has mentioned Wakui. Not in the sub-$150 category, but in terms of bang for buck, it doesn't get much better. Grind, F&F, distal taper, all on par with knives much more expensive. It's really perplexing to me why his knives have remained in the low $200s when other Sanjo makers like Yoshikane, Mazaki, Watanabe, etc. are charging well over $300 now, not that I'm complaining.

+1 for Wakui - W#2 would be their budget option.

I'm also fond of Masahiro VC. Interesting grind and really nice steel - F&F is not great but nothing out the ballpark average for the price.

Although I've never owned or used one, the Hitohira Futana line looks like a great value on paper at least. I'm curious and would love to try one out.

Futana S3 I had was excellent. I'm not entirely sure about the rather uneven thicker wide bevel grind on some lines like the Kuro SB, but the grind with their Ginsan line is top notch - thin BTE with rounded shinogi, separation/performance not unlike Yoshikane. Average Ginsan HT and typical Nashiji coming standard with a lot of prelams - but sometimes average HT and nice working finish are just perfect for the knife, and this is one example.

06.jpg

I have always wanted to try a Wakui but like Yoshi the heals are just too short. From what I hear thought this would be a great option and they are available.

Mine 210mm Gyuto - B#2 iron clad - is 215/48. Not tall but nothing Yoshikane short and no dead stop profile. I think W#2 of his are generally shorter though. The aogami line is kindly more expensive...

221_Start.jpg
331_RChoil.jpg

I'm currently at my family's cabin, and every time I come here I'm very impressed with the Fujiwara FKM 210 we have here.
That asymmetrical grind just performs really well, with great distal taper. Good balance between muscle and finesse, and a profile that lends itself well for a variety of techniques I find. It's like good vanilla ice cream; not the most exciting, but it just plain works well in most circumstances.

For me it's probably the best value out of the things I've tried. I would also mention Kanehide TK's if they still cost roughly the same as when I bought one for my sister a few years ago.

Some of the previous posts here make me want to get an FKH.

Agreed. An FKM was my first jknife, I don't use it much at home but it's what I pack for Airbnb stays, lake house trips, etc and keep in the block for guests. Surprisingly good performance for the price and tough enough to take some misuse.

Can you tell anything about the steel? Can't find any information with Zknives. From the composition it should be close to C75. What is your experience with it? Sharpening, grain, edge retention?
And the geometry? As strongly asymmetric as usual? From the German site I learn the 240 gyuto weights 210g. Remarkably light in the case of a Western handle with a bolster. How is the balance?
Info about the steel is in this past thread Help identifying metal type

It's middle of the road, quite assymetric 70/30, feels comfortable in the hand, all in all a knife that you don't have to baby...great value.

Do any of you have experience with Meestersljipers own brand Kazoku?

I have noticed that many online stores are coming up with their own brands with knives they order from Japan and most of their prices are quite budget friendly.
Like most house-brands Kazoku covers a gammut of different pricepoints and makers. Some of them are recognizable as Japanese OEM knives that you also see in other shops, while some are Chinese made. I don't think you can easily give an easy summary of the whole line since there's significant differences.

I mean. It's very hard to beat the tojiro DP in terms of value.
Sure, if one requires stainless and has some sharpening experience. If carbon steel is no problem, there are a lot of other options. In Europe at least, the Tojiros aren't that inexpensive anymore.

Tojiro A1 (discontinued), Tojiro Basic (new line), Tojiro DP/Classic, Masutani Hamono, Tsunehisa, Kyohei Shindo.

Back