Breads Bavarian "Brezen" (part 2), using lye

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michi

I dislike attempts to rewrite history
Reaction score
See Part 1 of this recipe for how to actually bake Brezen.

Brezen require sodium hydroxide (lye) to make.

If you are worried about adding lye to food, it’s actually something that is perfectly edible (if heated enough) and has been used in baking for centuries. But lye is caustic, so you need to be reasonably careful when working with it.

The lye solution used for baking is quite mild. If you spill some on your hands, you won’t get an instant burn or anything like it. If you get some of it on your hands, it’s not a big deal; just wash it off with plenty of water. (You will know that it’s gone when you no longer feel any soapy slipperiness.) However, you most definitely do not want to get any into your eyes, mouth, nose, ears, etc. It’s a good idea to use eye protection when working with lye. It really is just common sense, in case that, say, a Brezen slips out of your hands and falls into the lye solution, sending droplets into the air.

Also, sodium hydroxide, which is used to make lye, is truly nasty stuff. It’s a white salt that is extremely caustic, and you really need to treat it with respect. (Sodium hydroxide crystals are used to clean blocked drains.) Rubber gloves, eye protection, and non-reactive (stainless steel or glass) containers are mandatory when you prepare lye. If you get any of the salt onto your skin, liberally wash with lots of water. If in doubt, neutralise with a little diluted vinegar or lemon juice as well.

Sodium hydroxide will corrode many materials, including stone, wood, metals, fabrics, a number of plastics, etc. Be careful not to spill any sodium hydroxide crystals anywhere. If you do, the crystals will start drawing moisture from the air and create an extremely corrosive solution. If you have a spill, you need to clean up very thoroughly. First get rid of as much of the dry salt as you can with a dustpan and brush; then clean up with lots of water (wearing rubber gloves), and neutralise with vinegar or lemon juice.

For Brezen, you need a 3.5% lye solution. That is 35 g of sodium hydroxide dissolved in 1,000 ml of water. 1 l to 1.5 l is plenty—you only need enough to be able to briefly submerge the shaped dough for three to five seconds. (I use a shallow Pyrex glass baking dish for this.) You don't need to be super-precise with the concentration—anything between 3% and 4% is fine.

When you mix your lye solution, always add sodium hydroxide to water. Never do it the other way around. (If you do, there is a real chance that you will have sodium hydroxide crystals and concentrated lye solution spattering everywhere.)

Add the salt to the water slowly, a little at a time. You will notice a fairly active reaction; you will get some foaming, and the water will heat up as the sodium hydroxide goes into solution. Just be patient and wait until things have settled down before adding a bit more salt. Once you have all the salt in the water, you will probably see a few crystals hanging around the bottom that haven’t dissolved yet. Just give it time, they will dissolve eventually. You can help things along by stirring with a stainless steel spoon or similar. Be sure to mix all this in a non-reactive container (glass or stainless steel).

To make lye, I use ordinary drain cleaner from the hardware store. I checked the MSDS for it, and it is 99.9% sodium hydroxide. The remaining 0.1% are impurities. (“Impurities” in this context means salt and baking soda, because these are by-products of making sodium hydroxide. It’s not as if “impurities” would mean that there is arsenic or lead in there…)
IMG_3530.JPG
If you are worried about baking with drain cleaner, do a search for “food grade lye”. You’ll find plenty of suppliers online, including Amazon. (Realistically, what’s being sold as food-grade lye is most likely drain cleaner anyway. It’s just that it goes through a different control process.)

Once you have made your batch of Brezen, there is no need to flush the remainder down the drain. You can reuse the solution many times. The solution is best stored in a plastic container, but be aware that not all plastics are suitable. Polyethylene is a good plastic for storing lye, and milk bottles are commonly made out of it. Here is a good article that outlines the available options:

https://classicbells.com/soap/lyeStorage.asp

If you store your lye solution, please be sensible and keep it out of reach of children, and label it very clearly as toxic. If someone actually drank that stuff, that would truly be bad news!
IMG_3505.JPG
Happy Brezen baking!

Last edited:
When I was a kid I learned that if you mix lye, water and baking soda in a big glass pop bottle you get hydrogen gas. Stretch a balloon over the neck of the bottle and you get a hydrogen filled balloon. Great fun! It’s an exothermic reaction so it creates lots of heat. I survived many sessions of hydrogen balloon making but honestly I wouldn’t recommend it to anybody today. There was that and lots of other things that me and my friends did that now causes the hair to stand up on the back of my neck. Great memories, though from a different time.

I would not recommend it either. What you had in the balloon wasn't just hydrogen, but oxyhydrogen gas. The German word for this is "Knallgas" (literally meaning "bang gas") and it is a much more apt word. Knallgas is a mixture of oxygen (from the air in the bottle) and hydrogen (from the chemical reaction).

Igniting that stuff starts one of the most violently exothermic reactions we know of. There is a reason why rockets are propelled by combining hydrogen and oxygen: you get lots of energy that way.

It's possible to do better: you can use fluorine instead of oxygen as the oxidiser and get even more energy. Unfortunately, that creates hydrogen fluoride which, in contact with water, forms hydrofluoric acid. Not the kind of stuff you want to have around, least of all in your lungs.

Last edited:
Sometimes, this forum really blows me away. A moment ago, we were talking about Brezen. And, before you can say "dull knife", toilet paper is the topic. Stunning! :)

Back